• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

guidance please

J

jlms

I currently work at a station that doesn't have air-check meetings so guidance doesn't exist. My two previous stations did have critique meetings which I looked forward to because I felt like I was always growing as well as gaining confidence and understanding of what sound was looked for. Now that I'm applying for jobs I feel lost putting together a resume mp3. Suggestions? Does anyone know of consultants/agents that are worth attempting to get representation?

jlms said:
I currently work at a station that doesn't have air-check meetings so guidance doesn't exist. My two previous stations did have critique meetings which I looked forward to because I felt like I was always growing as well as gaining confidence and understanding of what sound was looked for. Now that I'm applying for jobs I feel lost putting together a resume mp3. Suggestions? Does anyone know of consultants/agents that are worth attempting to get representation?

The only "talent" (term used loosely) that needs an agent are ones that need someone to carry the wheelbarrow that contains their ego. It's not sports. It's radio. Agents don't have "ins" with big market PDs that you wouldn't be able to get to yourself.

The best route to take, in my opinion, is to do some old fashioned legwork yourself. Networking is your biggest friend. Do you work for a large company? If so, reach out to sister stations that you respect, and do airchecks with them remotely. When you're done with that, do more, with more stations. You can't know enough people in this business.

Don't get discouraged. Most PDs don't have the courtesy to respond, much less critique your aircheck and offer you advice. But there are still those out there that do. Some of them are even talented. ;D

Be courteous, be brief, be respectful...but be persistent. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Good luck.

thanks!!! excellent advice and does reiterate that i'm on the right track except for the persistance as i do worry that i will become annoying :) but i will give it a shot...

jlms said:
Now that I'm applying for jobs I feel lost putting together a resume mp3. Suggestions? Does anyone know of consultants/agents that are worth attempting to get representation?

My suggestion for making your demo would be gather up a boat load of audio and let someone else make your demo. Of course it has to be someone you trust and respect (with a little skill in the production room). Often we see our stuff differently than other people do, and an unbiased ear is generally a good thing. And best of all it won't cost you 10 percent...probably just a case a beer.

Randy.

ps. unless you're Howard Stern or Ryan Seacrest you don't need an agent. Generally they don't find jobs anyways, they are basically lawyers that deal with legal stuff in the contracts.

jlms said:
thanks!!! excellent advice and does reiterate that i'm on the right track except for the persistance as i do worry that i will become annoying :) but i will give it a shot...

It is possible to become annoying, so your hesitation is warranted. But remember that persistently communicating with a programmer doesn't mean it has to be self-serving. Consider streaming their station, and offering up what you heard. Many PDs (unfortunately) don't listen to their stations intently during the course of their day.

Even something as simple as "hey, I heard this on your station the other day, and love the idea. Can you give me some more background on how you pulled this promotion off?" or "I heard your jock say this...was that supposed to happen? I'm trying to get better and want to make sure I'm hearing both what I should, and what I shouldn't do."

Another trick: Find out the PD's birthday. You don't have to do anything ridiculous...just shoot them a note and wish them a great day. You'd be amazed how far that goes.

Being top of mind doesn't mean bugging someone for a job long enough that they give it to you. You may never want or need a job from that person during your whole career. But as someone who actually hired a jock that I interned with in college, I can honestly tell you that you never know who your boss will be in this business.

thanks randy...i do use extra ears for sure...

roger that...thanks so much...i've copied and pasted both of your reponses onto a word document called "advice" so that i may refer to them during my hunt...so love the advice...i know my passion will help me make that that next great step...whether it's this week...this summer...or 2010...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom