• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

GSP- The end of the Planet?

On a competitors website, there are apparently rumblings that Entercom wants to move the low power "Block" duopoly to a single higher powered stick. Care to guess who that would be?

It wouldn't surprise me, but I've heard arguments against it.

Besides, WROO wouldn't reach Asheville, so unless WQNS or The Mountain changed (and one should because there's no point if they sound the same), Asheville wouldn't have active rock. WRZK reaches the motel room where I used to stay before it was torn down, but I don't know how much of the area it would cover.

On a competitors website, there are apparently rumblings that Entercom wants to move the low power "Block" duopoly to a single higher powered stick. Care to guess who that would be?

that would be smart in many ways including rank for their other properties based on the hdba the market can support two urbans. active rock listeners are not discovering new music on broadcast radio jmo

I’ve called this as the end game forever - it was a no brainer The Block would do well, and Entercom has assembled a full airstaff, shows, etc for The Block which seems very odd if they intend for it to stay on a translator forever. The Planet is the weakling of the cluster with a format that has slowly been dwindling on terrestrial radio for years. Magic doesn’t do very well either, but it’s a very cheap station to run and hits such a sweet spot with advertisers that it probably doesn’t have to do that well.

Were The Planet to flip, it would allow WROQ to update their playlist which they badly need to do. They sound so slow and behind other classic rockers which have evolved this decade, possibly because The Planet still includes a lot of 90s (and even 80s) tracks in the playlist. The rock audience would still be better off than most markets in the south - a (hopefully) updated classic rocker, a mainstream rocker on 104.9, and alternative on 98.5. 104.9 would probably stand to gain the most - decent C3 signal that covers the most important areas of the market pretty well, a somewhat similar (although older) playlist, and USC sports. iHeart has just never pushed the station, because there was really no need to - but with a decent sized audience up for grabs, and some promo, I think it’d really add some easily grabbed value to the 92.5/100.5/104.9 combo.

I would be interested to see a 1073Jamz reaction. They barely know competition. Their definition of “Today’s R&B” is a bit out of touch. If The Block goes to 93.3, trust and believe Entercom is going to go for their younger audience hard. They’ve already been trying, but there’s only so much they can do with those signals. The fact that GSP has gone so long with only one urban is really amazing. Also, such a move would have to force Summit to do something with 98.1 which is still stuck in that odd gray area between CHR and Rhythmic CHR that is very odd. With WFBC being successful recently, if Block gets a stronger signal and Jamz is in the mix they need to just go mainstream CHR already. In a messy form, they almost are. The point of 98.1 was always to be a Rhythmic and to be urban enough to protect a mainstream urban from coming in and killing Jamz but ever since Block launched, 98.1 has been going more mainstream and less urban. Jamz is #1 and #2 by default. A stronger Block would bleed numbers from them that they could never get back.

I’ve called this as the end game forever - it was a no brainer The Block would do well, and Entercom has assembled a full airstaff, shows, etc for The Block which seems very odd if they intend for it to stay on a translator forever. The Planet is the weakling of the cluster with a format that has slowly been dwindling on terrestrial radio for years.

I really think everyone is barking up the wrong tree on this one. Remember, it's not about ratings. It's about revenue. Planet also has The Rise Guys which I'm SURE makes a lot of money for the cluster. Especially with appearances. Where would they put them if they blew up Planet? (And don't say 101. John Boy and Billy are pretty popular for a syndicated show. Also, traditionally, urban stations never bill as well as their non-urban counterparts. So, if The Block is pulling in advertisers now, why make a change? I can't/won't listen to that music, but when i have tuned in, the advertisers are very small, African-American owned businesses. They can't be paying more than about $10-$15 per spot. But they appear to be plentiful. Do you think those same advertisers are going to be happy with $40-$60 per spot? Doubt it. I think The Block and Planet are going to stay status quo.

Last edited:

Of course "competitors" are going to say that. They want to be able to go to current advertisers on Planet and say, "Don't buy them. Didn't you hear? They are going away."

Of course "competitors" are going to say that. They want to be able to go to current advertisers on Planet and say, "Don't buy them. Didn't you hear? They are going away."
OP was referring to a competing radio news website (I saw the article)

I noted on Saturday 93.3 is now broadcasting in HD. HD2 appears to be a rebroadcast of ESPN Upstate best I can tell. Sync is nice between analog and IBOC.

I can confirm reception of HD2 on 93.3 as of this evening in Charlotte, NC. My observations are exactly that as of the Op. I wonder what is in store for this HD Channel, if anything.

I noted on Saturday 93.3 is now broadcasting in HD. HD2 appears to be a rebroadcast of ESPN Upstate best I can tell. Sync is nice between analog and IBOC.

I can confirm reception of HD2 on 93.3 as of this evening in Charlotte, NC. My observations are exactly that as of the Op. I wonder what is in store for this HD Channel, if anything.

I would like to see Entercom put Bob and Sheri and Matt and Ramona on one of their Upstate stations or translators, since WLNK no longer comes in clear due to a LPFM interfering. And now Entercom owns these nationally syndicated shows from Charlotte, so this seems it could be a possibility. Already they appear to be putting Vince Coakley on both WORD in the Upstate and WBT in Charlotte. I get WLNK clear on my home radio with rabbit ears, including the HD, but in the car there is bad interference since the LPFM has apparently boosted their power beyond the legal limit. Entercom should add these shows to one of their Upstate signals.

I'm guessing that since Planet is a better fit with ESPN than WFBC, they'll use 93.3 HD2 to feed 97.1 and 97.7 (which technically rebroadcast 1330 and 950.) I think WFBC's HD3 is feeding them right now.

On another Planet note, does anyone think with Entercom's love of alternative and the format flips in several markets, that WTPT might be reborn into ALT 93.3 with a slight format shift?

On another Planet note, does anyone think with Entercom's love of alternative and the format flips in several markets, that WTPT might be reborn into ALT 93.3 with a slight format shift?

If they do the only real competition in their market will be X98.5 which IMHO was one of the better ALT stations I have listened to in a long time. I discovered it right after it went on the air and liked it a lot. It has changed a bit since then and I no longer frequent the area to hear it much anymore. WEND 106.5 in Charlotte was a great alternative station when the Dalton's owned it but it isn't the same anymore especially since they canned Jack Daniels who started the thing. I don't think ALT stations make a bunch of money but then again the format on 93.3 now is dated even thought I personally like it.

I'm guessing that since Planet is a better fit with ESPN than WFBC, they'll use 93.3 HD2 to feed 97.1 and 97.7 (which technically rebroadcast 1330 and 950.) I think WFBC's HD3 is feeding them right now.

I still want them to put Bob and Sheri on one of these translators or HD channels. They are now multicasting Vince Coakley in both Greenville and Charlotte and I would think they would consider doing the same with Bob and Sheri, which is now one of their nationally syndicated shows for Entercom. I get WLNK fine in the house, but the interference is now problematic in the car whereas they always used to come in clear.

I would like to see Entercom put Bob and Sheri and Matt and Ramona on one of their Upstate stations or translators, since WLNK no longer comes in clear due to a LPFM interfering. And now Entercom owns these nationally syndicated shows from Charlotte, so this seems it could be a possibility. Already they appear to be putting Vince Coakley on both WORD in the Upstate and WBT in Charlotte. I get WLNK clear on my home radio with rabbit ears, including the HD, but in the car there is bad interference since the LPFM has apparently boosted their power beyond the legal limit. Entercom should add these shows to one of their Upstate signals.

Dude, seriously.

If they do the only real competition in their market will be X98.5 which IMHO was one of the better ALT stations I have listened to in a long time. I discovered it right after it went on the air and liked it a lot. It has changed a bit since then and I no longer frequent the area to hear it much anymore. WEND 106.5 in Charlotte was a great alternative station when the Dalton's owned it but it isn't the same anymore especially since they canned Jack Daniels who started the thing. I don't think ALT stations make a bunch of money but then again the format on 93.3 now is dated even thought I personally like it.

Sadly, X98.5 has become too much like 93.3 IMO. It used to be fantastic with lots of music discovery and a great mix. Now it plays alt hits that have been out for six months, no new music and grunge. Probably good for Planet fans that want a touch newer stuff. But it’s horrible for a true alternative fan who actually wants to hear NEW music. It’s so outdated even on what they consider to be “new”.

Went from being a big fan to never listening to it in the space of a year.

Personally I would welcome 93.3 to flip to alt. Even if it moves slightly further in that direction maybe it wound force 98.5 to skew newer again.

What is unique about The Planet and Entercom is that yes, Entercom is VERY long suffering with rock stations (for some reason they thought it would work in Miami and have stuck with a horribly performing alt station there) but they are almost always alternative or even AAA in some cases. Their CEO has clearly said before that alternative is one of his favorite formats. Looking at their station portfolio after the acquisitions they’ve recently made, Planet is the only active rocker they own. The next closest would be the few mainstream rock stations they have. Active rock is a format that has slowly been disappearing over the years. It’s interesting that in many southern markets, there is normally a classic rocker and increasingly, no current based rock stations, maybe a mainstream. Atlanta is an exception, somewhat. GSP has 93.3, 98.5, 104.9 and of course 101.1 which is very strange for a market of its size and location.

Interestingly, they have recently acquired a lot of big name Urban stations (V103 Atlanta anyone?), a format that Entercom didn’t have a lot of experience with in the past (NC Triad aside), and even flipped a station in Chicago to classic hip hop the day they took control of it. It will be interesting to see how those new assets affect The Block.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom