• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Great Disc Jockies you enjoyed listening to while growing up?

Yeah, there really hasnt been anybody good at radio since 1975. Also the food tasted better then and for $5 dollars in the bus station restroom you could have a good time.

The hands-down funniest show of the past 40 years was Ross Brittian and Rex Patton at WIIN. Also liked Ross doing newscasts on WREK - always mentioning pot stories and playing "Reefer Man" in the background.

Not to be overlooked: Caroline at Z93 in the 80's was very good. Can't remember his name, but ___ and Hot Henrietta's 7 - Midnight show at Z93 around 1980 was fantastic. WRAS in the early 80's had a lady named Melissa who was very talented, and Laura Hynes did "Flashback" - the best 50's rock show since Wolfman's.

And of course, Don Kennedy's Big Band Jump show is unmatched.

Re: Great Disc Jockies you enjoyed listening to while growing up? KQV

Jim Quinn, Porky Chedwick and Jeff Christie - all on KQV in the 1960's and 70's.

Porky is long gone.

Quinn is still hot
http://www.warroom.com/

Jeff Christie proved to be the best of them all,
and went on to revitalize and revolutionize Radio.

Gary McKee (WQXI hometown radio show)
Mike Roberts (WVEE V-103, would come in my hometown of Gadsden AL)

outside Atlanta:
Dave Donald (WENN Birmingham 107.7 at time, now 105.9)
Shelley The Playboy (WENN see above)
Leo Davis (WQEN Gadsden Q104, now 103.7Q in B'ham)
Herb Winches (WJOX Birmingham 690, also TV-6 and 13)

thanks for the trip down memory lane.

What morning show was it that got the dj's fired for playing "another one bites the dust"?

Seems like I remember it being 96rock and that's why people had the 96rock tags upside down? anybody remember?

Doug Tracht in the Big Ape days... greatest theater of the mind there ever was.
"Grease gonna do a little offshore drillin' tonite......"

I'm pretty sure the "another one bites the dust" firing was Ross & Wilson on Z93. They were referring to another Atlanta youth being murdered.

Why of course! Rick Dees and Wink Martindale on FM100 back in Memphis! Anyone from Memphis remember them being on the air back then? I remember Rick playing a hilarious prank on the mayor of Memphis back in the late 70s. Also, Will Pendarvis from FM100 then on 99X here in Atlanta.

atlradiofan3 said:
What morning show was it that got the dj's fired for playing "another one bites the dust"?

That was, as someone already said, Ross & Wilson ... except that it's just a well known & oft told urban legend.
They didn't play the song & it wasn't why they left (they were offered a gig a WABC/New York).

Here's a magazine article that actually talks about the old rumor & includes Wilson's comments about it.
http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/article_main_page/0,1703,A%3D152771%26M%3D50019,00.html

Did Rick Dees work at every radio station in America? :) I know he worked at WKIX in Raleigh, and I believe at WCOG in Greensboro early in his career.

atlradiofan3 said:

Seems like I remember it being 96rock and that's why people had the 96rock tags upside down? anybody remember?

I always heard that attributed to Robert Murphy when he was at Big WAYS and WROQ in Charlotte, NC. The tale there was that he got fired, but listener calls and protests got him rehired the next day.

May be another urban legend, but that was the story going around in NC radio at the time.

Tom Prestigiacomo on WMC FM100/Memphis on the drive home after work. Tim, Bev, and the BadDog (The Wakeup Crew) back on WEGR 102.7FM Memphis (Eagle 103).

Atlanta: Skinny Bobby Harper on WIIN-97 and Dale O'Brien on Z93.
Nationwide: John Records Landecker, Bob Sirott and Yvonne Daniels on WLS.

BTW, it was KSHE/St. Louis that Mark McCain left 96ROCK to go to.

LF

I'm as old as dirt...I can remember Bob Green, Kahn Hammonds & Steve Canyon back in the day when WPLO
was a rocker - What about Don Rose, Simon Trane, Mike Holiday, Bob Todd and Pat Hughes at QXI and while I
I don't remember him on the air, I've been told that "THE" Bill Drake did a gig at WAKE. I never have really cared for country muisc but I did enjoy John Foxx, from time to time, on PLO. Back when WFOM in Marietta
signed off at midnight, there was a guy who did 7-12p - his name was Jim Diamond, was a decent jock,
and later at Woofum there was Bill Huey, Joe Tucker, Pete Owen (who left for the Big Ape) and Mike Adams
who left for WRKO and to my knowlege is still in Boston. There was a kid who did Sat & Sun evenings at FOM
back in the early 60s - his mom had to drop him off and pick him up at the station because he was too young
to drive. Even though he was only 15, he sound twice his age. His name was Bob Johnson - he later ended up in Chattanooga as television news anchor and has been there forever.... Oh, and by the way, the guy
with the pipes who did the top of the hour break at FOM - "IN Cobb County, WFOM - Marietta" - that was
Joe Kelley, another great jock from QXI. Sorry to keep rambling ---- I need my medication!

amitherightcaller said:
while I don't remember him on the air, I've been told that "THE" Bill Drake did a gig at WAKE. I never have really cared for country muisc but I did enjoy John Foxx, from time to time, on PLO.

I listened to Bill Drake on WAKE. Also Bob McKee and others ("It's eight O' Clockkkkkkk!"). And Paul Drew at night on GST when WAKE cut power. Also, John Foxx was the only DJ to stay with PLO when it switched from Top 40 to "Town 'n Country".

I guess I'm older than dirt...
:D

When I was a kid we lived in the Ringgold area and I remember my brothers listening to Tommy Jett on Jet Fly WFLI in Chattanooga and that was in the early 60s. I think he's still around too, after more than 40 years.

jtudor said:
atlradiofan3 said:

I always heard that attributed to Robert Murphy when he was at Big WAYS and WROQ in Charlotte, NC. The tale there was that he got fired, but listener calls and protests got him rehired the next day.

May be another urban legend, but that was the story going around in NC radio at the time.

That was an urban legend, but it wasn't about 96-Rock or Big Ways/WROQ's Murphy. It was about Z-93's Ross and Wilson just before they went to WABC. Best of my knowledge the upside down 96-Rock tags were just one of those "I'm cool" things kids do. We did the same thing with our city's required front licence plate when I was 16 in NC. Speaking of Murphy at Big Ways, I don't remember that rumor being attributed to him, but rumors do spread far from the source.

OgOgglby said:
Not to be overlooked: Caroline at Z93 in the 80's was very good.

Actually, Caroline was a DJ at Z93 around '93-'95. I was an intern in '93 and later stayed on working on WZGC's in-house call-out research team (which is a hilarious concept now... doing our own call-out research). I eventually became the Music Director (not a bad climb - intern>Music Director in less than 2 years!).

Anyway, Caroline spent some time DJ'ing for our Z93 boss Mike O'Connor out in Denver (I hear it working for M.O.C. didn't work out well - he's a bit.....er... uh, let's say demanding. Yeah, that's a good description). Mike went to be a big shot at Clear Channel in Colorado.

I just heard Caroline on Sirius channel #018 (The Spectrum) last week. It was a delight to hear her. She's just as good as always.

I consider Caroline sorta like my mentor. I spent many, many hours in the studio when I was an intern while she was on the air and between her and Mike O'Connor - they taught me most of what I know about being a quality Jock.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom