• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Got my Sangean ATS-405 shortwave radio

This is a nice little solid radio!

Since it's the afternoon, I was scanning the upper part of the shortwave band and heard a station in a foreign language.

According to ShortwaveSchedule.com, it was from Tinang in the Philippines speaking Burmese at a distance of 5,498 miles.

While I wasn't thinking of selectivity doing a brief scan last night, the AM reception is noticeably better than my Sangean PR-D18 which is the same size.

There also isn't quite as much background interference from the usual appliances that make AM DXing frustrating these days.

Though the interference is still there on shortwave, it varies greatly among frequencies and becomes less and less the higher you go up the band.

Reactions: drt
I have the 505, but judging by the looks of the 405, I think it's essentially the same radio. Right now my grandson has it, and I haven't talked to him lately, but I think he was off to a good start with it. Some nice catches.....especialy for a 12-year old beginner. Personally, I thought it was a good radio. Not quite as good as my DX-375 wasa (also made by Sangean), but a solid performer. One issue you might want to watch for is the whip antenna, which has worked itself loose from its connection to the circuit. I have to wiggle it for optimum reception. Minor annoyance, but I'm able to work around it.

I think you're in for some good times with your new portable!

Last edited:
How's the AM band selectivity?
The acid trest for me most recently has been CJOB on 680. Orienting the radio to Winnipeg also orients it toward local blowtorch WSCR on 670. The ATS 505 is up to the task, so presumably the 405 would perform equally well. Bottom line is the 505 brings in CJOB despite the strong local adjacent channel. Still some splatter, but at a perfectly tolerable level And CJOB, when present, breaks through just fine.

On my Walkman SRF-37, pulling CJOB out from under the splatter is "mission impossible".

The acid trest for me most recently has been CJOB on 680. Orienting the radio to Winnipeg also orients it toward local blowtorch WSCR on 670. The ATS 505 is up to the task, so presumably the 405 would perform equally well. Bottom line is the 505 brings in CJOB despite the strong local adjacent channel. Still some splatter, but at a perfectly tolerable level And CJOB, when present, breaks through just fine.

On my Walkman SRF-37, pulling CJOB out from under the splatter is "mission impossible".
Thanks for the report.

I have the 505, but judging by the looks of the 405, I think it's essentially the same radio. Right now my grandson has it, and I haven't talked to him lately, but I think he was off to a good start with it. Some nice catches.....especialy for a 12-year old beginner. Personally, I thought it was a good radio. Not quite as good as my DX-375 wasa (also made by Sangean), but a solid performer. One issue you might want to watch for is the whip antenna, which has worked itself loose from its connection to the circuit. I have to wiggle it for optimum reception. Minor annoyance, but I'm able to work around it.

I think you're in for some good times with your new portable!

I was able to order some adapters on ebay so I can connect the radio to my CB antenna which is about twice as long as the whip antenna on the 405.

Had to search for a while but there's actually an adapter that connects coax to the where the whip antenna screws on.

I don't expect a drastic improvement in reception but I have limited area where I am for antennas.

Sangean says the ATS-505 (an analog PLL chip radio) is discontinued, and on its website it says the ATS-405 is a DSP chipped radio. So they may or may not be similar.

That said, I don't completely trust Sangean's literature on these sorts of things -- after all, my PR-D5 (a post 2012 model -- they switched PR-D5's to DSP that year) has a DSP chip inside, while it still says "PLL" on the front of the case..

The ATS-505 isn't as good on MW as the DX-375 because of the loopstick -- the DX-375 has a 140mm loopstick, the 505 has a 100 or 110 mm one. If you add a loop, the 505 has an edge because its selectivity is great and it has much better sound through headphones for DXing (the DX-375 sounds okay but a bit tinny through headphones).

Last edited:
I was able to order some adapters on ebay so I can connect the radio to my CB antenna which is about twice as long as the whip antenna on the 405.

Had to search for a while but there's actually an adapter that connects coax to the where the whip antenna screws on.

I don't expect a drastic improvement in reception but I have limited area where I am for antennas.
You could always just alligator clip maybe 10-15 ft of wire to the whip antenna. I do that with my Grundig G2 sometimes. Sometimes it helps, other times it just increases noise.

Yeah, I could do that but it's hard to figure out where to put it, especially where it won't pick up noise from my computer.

The other antenna where the coax runs is in the other room away from all that.

I was tuning around the upper part of the band this afternoon and found a station playing some real good 70's music.

The Shortwave station guide said it was from New Zealand.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom