• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Getting Yelled At

Anything can be overdone, and sometimes it's hard to find to find the "sweet spot" between quantity and quality. Presently, WSB radio edits everything so tightly that it's getting quite uncomfortable to listen to them. They do a good job of cramming a ton of information into the time they have for morning news, but it has become rushed, repetitive and stressful. There are the quick promos of, "We'll tell you if it's gonna rain in 3 minutes (Is it really gonna rain in 3 minutes, or is it gonna rain 3 minutes after you tell me in 3 minutes, etc.)

And then there's traffic:

Good grief! I like a good complete traffic report, but I'm tired of GETTING YELLED AT. I mean, you can do a good job of delivering the traffic - and doing it quickly - without YELLING AT THE LISTENER every six minutes. It seems like they misunderstood a focus group.

I like a good concise news block in the morning with my coffee. I've started to listen to 106.7 and must say they have come a long way. I don't feel like I'm missing anything (like I used to), and I really like the pace of their delivery - especially the traffic where the change is most noticeable. I don't need to feel MORE stress if I'm in Atlanta traffic. Now, if they would only get rid of (or really cut back on) their stupid four-note sounders...

Doo-doo-doo-doooooooooo..........

I really hope 106.7 gets more ratings; I would hate to see them go away - just when they're getting good - and finding their "sweet spot". I was very loyal to WSB, and stayed with them as long as I could - just got tired of getting yelled at.

How you guys noticed what I have? How do you feel about it, and would you change anything?

Last edited:
I see what you are saying but WSB is what I go to for news, weather and traffic because of the crew. They have been around a long time and I like them because it's almost like family.

I'm not fond of Erick Erickson in the afternoons. He annoys the hell out of me. I consider myself pretty far right/libertarian but Erickson is a awful and arrogant. With the demise of Boortz, I can honestly say I ONLY listen to WSB for their news/weather/traffic at the top and bottom of the hour. I dunno - It's a heritage thing for me but I can see what you mean about 106.7. I guess it's what you get use to.

Anything can be overdone, and sometimes it's hard to find to find the "sweet spot" between quantity and quality. Presently, WSB radio edits everything so tightly that it's getting quite uncomfortable to listen to them. They do a good job of cramming a ton of information into the time they have for morning news, but it has become rushed, repetitive and stressful. There are the quick promos of, "We'll tell you if it's gonna rain in 3 minutes (Is it really gonna rain in 3 minutes, or is it gonna rain 3 minutes after you tell me in 3 minutes, etc.)

And then there's traffic:

Good grief! I like a good complete traffic report, but I'm tired of GETTING YELLED AT. I mean, you can do a good job of delivering the traffic - and doing it quickly - without YELLING AT THE LISTENER every six minutes. It seems like they misunderstood a focus group.

I like a good concise news block in the morning with my coffee. I've started to listen to 106.7 and must say they have come a long way. I don't feel like I'm missing anything (like I used to), and I really like the pace of their delivery - especially the traffic where the change is most noticeable. I don't need to feel MORE stress if I'm in Atlanta traffic. Now, if they would only get rid of (or really cut back on) their stupid four-note sounders...

Doo-doo-doo-doooooooooo..........

I really hope 106.7 gets more ratings; I would hate to see them go away - just when they're getting good - and finding their "sweet spot". I was very loyal to WSB, and stayed with them as long as I could - just got tired of getting yelled at.

How you guys noticed what I have? How do you feel about it, and would you change anything?

I, too, feel like I am being yelled at. News 95.5 has cut the length of their stories. Wraparound stories are only about 45 seconds long. Stories without actualities are banged out in two to three sentences, or 15 seconds at the most. 106.7 has its own set of problems. They're an okay alternative. I think competition is healthy. I've recently noticed that WABE has ramped up their local news coverage and, minus the "blood and guts," offers in-depth reporting on the radio. Now that's a nice alternative. I just wish WABE did a better job with traffic. In the AM, people want their traffic and weather. And at WABE, they definitely don't yell at you.

I don't know about the "getting yelled at" thing, but yes, the newscasts at News 95.5 FM/AM 750 WSB-AM/WSBB-FM have indeed become rushed, repetitive, and stressful. I've especially noticed this in the middays, afternoons, and somewhat in the evenings (not entirely in the evenings, just when severe weather alerts are issued). Sabrina Gibbons in the middays, Chris Chandler in the afternoons (he's the worst so far; I expect better from him), and Jennifer Griffes in the evenings. Chris would come in 1st place for worst radio news anchor, Jennifer would come in 2nd, and Sabrina would come in 3rd. Now Chris, I've noticed him make mistakes when severe weather alerts are issued. One time, I was listening during Atlanta's Evening News, and Chris said a severe thunderstorm warning was issued for Rockdale & Newton counties on the edge of the listening area. He didn't even bother reading the alert statement since the warning also included counties "outside of the listening area" as well. I'm like, "Dude! The listening area goes further south & east beyond Rockdale & Newton counties!" So what happened next? Erick Erickson ended up reading the alert statement in its entirety. He said that Butts, Jasper, & Walton counties were also included in the warning. Locations in the warning included but weren't limited to (this is what I think I remember): Jackson, Flovilla, Worthville, Alcovy Shores, Hardys Crossroads, Rocky Plains, Mansfield, Porterdale, Covington, Oxford, Social Circle, Conyers, Milstead, Lakeview Estates, Georgia International Horse Park, Walnut Grove, Jersey, and Monroe. That's a total of 18 places in a 5-county warning area. There must be a lot of people living in that warned area for 18 places to be mentioned in an alert statement. Kudos to Erick for taking the time to read the alert statement in its entirety. There was another time a few weeks ago, I was listening to WSB-AM/WSBB-FM, and Chris Chandler had said a tornado warning was issued for SouthWest Cherokee County and NorthEast Cobb County. The only part of the alert statement Chris read was that the radar indicated a storm southwest of Woodstock moving southeast. He did not mention any locations in the warned area. The alert statement probably didn't mention any locations in the warned area because the only entity that was in the warned area was probably just Sweat Mountain since it sits right on the county line. We'll never know. I took cover in our basement until my dad got home that day, but I think Chris Chandler meant to say SouthEast Cherokee County, not SouthWest. This doesn't end there. Another time earlier in the year on a Saturday morning, I was listening to The Lawn & Garden Show with Walter Reeves. Tim Bryant was anchoring the newscasts like he usually does every Saturday morning & early afternoon, and WSB-TV Channel 2 meteorologist Brad Nitz was covering for Kirk Mellish. A tornado warning was issued, and Tim Bryant misread it & said it was for all of Cherokee County. Like Chris Chandler, Tim didn't even bother reading the alert statement. My parents were home (It was either both my mother & dad or it was just my dad who was home that Saturday morning. I don't remember.) I didn't go to the basement right away because we're not on the full county-by-county alert system anymore. We're on the portions of counties system when it comes to regular severe weather alerts. Cherokee County, I think, is approximately 20 miles wide, and last time I checked, tornadoes cannot get that big. They can only get as big as 2 miles wide. When the tornado warning was issued, WSB-AM/WSBB-FM switched to a temporary audio simulcast of Channel 2 Action News Saturday AM which is standard procedure when Kirk Mellish isn't available. Brad Nitz was of no help. He didn't even mention what portion of the county Cherokee was included in the tornado warning. Eventually, WSB-AM/WSBB-FM was able to track down Kirk. He made it into the radio studio, and then clarified that the tornado warning only applied to the Northern end of Cherokee County. On another note, the only severe weather alerts that are still on a full county-by-county system are severe winter weather alerts. I apologize for this post being lengthy. Anyway, that is all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom