• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Gayle King and Charles Barkley to host new prime-time show on CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/22/media/cnn-king-charles-announcement/index.html

CNN will be the home to a new weekly prime-time show featuring Gayle King and Charles Barkley, the news network announced on Saturday.

King and Barkley sat down together on TNT’s NBA Tip-Off Saturday to discuss the details of the live show, titled King Charles, which is set to air on Wednesdays.

“I want the show to be nonpolitical,” said Barkley, though he added that the show would touch on politics. “You know (Gayle King) is going to be a straight shooter. I’m going to be a straight shooter,” he added. “I know she’s going to be fair and honest and you know I’m going to do the same thing.”

The show will be a no holds barred look at current topics, said King.

Things article doesn’t mention is time slot and if show will be live or prerecorded.

I noticed the same thing. I suspect they're looking for a way to replace the 9PM hour with something, but can't find a 5-night a week show. But they also have a hole where the Lemon show used to be. The whole prime time lineup is a dumpster fire.

I noticed the same thing. I suspect they're looking for a way to replace the 9PM hour with something, but can't find a 5-night a week show. But they also have a hole where the Lemon show used to be. The whole prime time lineup is a dumpster fire.
According to this article from AP, CNN's primetime ratings are down 61% just since march, so your term of "dumpster fire" is a fair one.

It'll be interesting to see how it's received. King has talk show experience and Barkley is known from his NBA co-hosting duties with Shaq and others. I'm not sure I'd call Barkley a "liberal", but he's long been one of the most open-minded in sports. About 8 years ago when one state was trying to pass the "bathroom bill" and sports leagues pulled their scheduled tournaments out of that state as a result, and they were interviewing sports figures about whether a gay player would be welcome in their locker room, and some of them were saying "Naaawww! No effin' way, bro!", Barkley basically broke it down and explained that more than 7% of the population identifies as gay or some derivative thereof, and that most major league players have shared a locker room, knowingly or not, with a gay guy and that he personally would be fine with it. Not a popular opinion at the time, he risked blowback, political and otherwise, but he said it.

I also find the CNN story in the OP above interesting in that it says they don't want their new show to be political, but it says they'll discuss gun control. Given the political climate in 2023 and how everything is politicized and blown out of proportion, I'm not sure how they expect to discuss gun control without treading into politics.

I like Sir Charles Barkley and his opinions whether I agree with him or not he is independent and he supports the 2ND Amendment but also says that not all need guns politics will always be the topic of guns no way around it. I'll watch it not every week.

Man, I remember GAyle when she anchroed the news at WFSB 3 in Hartford, CT .. at the time, this was when Denise Dascenzo and Al Terzi worked there.. got to meet them all onset when i toured the station one day

Was Al at WTNH by that point.

Did you not read my post closely? I said "this was when Denise And Al worked there". It was the mid 90s, maybe early late 90s.. i was in 8th or 9th grade

Back
Top Bottom