• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Gary Clancy (formerly of WNTN & WSRO)

Y

Youngblood

The Boston Globe for yesterday (Sunday) contained the death notice (no obit.) of Gary Clancy of Sherborn. Although he was a long time employee of NSTAR, some may remember him as the former Program Director of then WSRO (1470 AM) in Marlboro, and also of WNTN (1550 AM), Newton in the early 1970s. He might have worked at other area stations as well.

Re: R.I.P. Gary Clancy

I believe Gary Clancy programmed WNTN-1550 from 1975 until 1980, which was in-between their years (early 1970's through 1975) as a progressive rocker (wasn't Howard Stern's first radio job at 'NTN while still attending Boston University??) and their 1980 flip to oldies (which was programmed by Bob Bittner, a frequent visitor to this board).

I thought the format at "NTN during Clancy's tenure there was some kind of Adult Contemporary with extensive local news for the Newton area.

> I believe Gary Clancy programmed WNTN-1550 from 1975 until
> 1980, which was in-between their years (early 1970's through
> 1975) as a progressive rocker (wasn't Howard Stern's first
> radio job at 'NTN while still attending Boston University??)
> and their 1980 flip to oldies (which was programmed by Bob
> Bittner, a frequent visitor to this board).
>
> I thought the format at "NTN during Clancy's tenure there
> was some kind of Adult Contemporary with extensive local
> news for the Newton area.

Weren't they briefly disco somewhere in there? I remember they were very briefly Boston's first disco station, perhaps with the late Vinnie Peruzzi, before WBOS brought disco to FM, albiet also briefly, when Kiss-108 claimed the format with great success.

WNTN-1550 was not disco during the 1970's.

They were, however, a "dance" station in the early 1980's, after their oldies format ended. I believe not long after that, they became leased-ethnic.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom