• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

...for DrRick

J

josephandrews

Doc, I disagree with you, I think. Let me explain. It will be a tough read.

First of all, I listened some to Farrell (sp?). He is different, but he is good.

Here's the deal. I want my sportstalk hosts to be (a) knowledgable; and (b) entertaining. As I listened to Farrell last night, he was both. In spades. The guy really does know sports. And he really is entertaining. And there's another component, too. (c) would be...I don't want sportstalk hosts to seem as if they're reaching...as if they're trying too hard. Farrell was not reaching last night. He was simply good. He knows radio as a medium, I think.

Now about rap. There is clearly an age-related dividing line here (35 and up aren't as rap-friendly?)...and probably a race-related dividing line, too (in some cases).

But I honestly do not believe that hard-core rap and sportstalk go together...as far as listeners are concerned...for reasons I'll try to explain below.

The absolutely worst thing to do, though, is for a host to try and bluff/fake his way through the rap thing. Andrew Siciliano is just a poser when it comes to rap...he is just awful awful awful...he doesn't get it and he never will and the phony way he tries to talk to Extravaganza callers about rap...click. Now, on the other hand, Petros P (1540 the Ticket), when he had the rap-off with Bruno...Petros gets it. He is a natural...and Bruno shouldn't have shut it down. No one expected Bruno to do as well...but the old guy tried some...and he knew he wasn't cool. So it was OK.

Bitterman Andrew thinks he is cool. And he is not. Bitterman took a liking to rap the same way that some high school pinheads join various clubs and volunteer on the occasional weekend at a hospital: to pad their college CV. Bitterman wanted street cred with blacks and black athletes. What a joke. It comes thru all the time that he is a poser rap-wise. Bitterman's efforts in these areas indicate that he doesn't get radio. And that Bitterman's bosses seem to ignore his deficiencies...well those are the same guys that literally destroyed FSR...so that Farrell doesn't have a job doesn't carry much weight with me. And SNR isn't any better. ESPN radio is going down, too. Satellite radio and the 'net has the big radio groups shaking in the boots...and that effect is being felt big time in sportstalk radio.

My viewing of Live8 on aol.com over the weekend kind of confirmed some of this stuff to me...the London shows were very different from the Philly shows. And how any American who watched Snoop do his bidness in London...and not be embarrassed...it is no wonder that the citizens of the world believe that black Americans are rapping and balling and pimping and killin'. Just to compare the self-centered Snoop, who ended his performance with 'what's my name, what's my name?'...with some of the other London performers, who clearly knew why they were there...it was shocking. Rap has that element of self-centeredness in its very core...and MTV's coverage of Live8 mimicked that self-centeredness as its hosts constantly interrupted performers with their own lame comments. It was unbelievably arrogant...but so is much of what passes for entertainment on MTV these days.

Finally...

Literally, guys like Larry Brown and Tony La Russa are oh-so-aware, in their own ways, of some of this stuff. There is a 'right way' to play 'the game', and Brown and La Russa are ever vigilant. Many D-1 coaches and professional coaches and managers, a few of whom I have spoken with about this very subject, feel strongly about this but are oh-so-aware of being branded as politically incorrect. Trashy rap, rap that glorifies self-centeredness, violence,degrades women and extols drug use...is oh-so-different from the occasional vague references to these topics in most other popular music.

So it is hard for me to see any great overlap of true rap, much of which is extremely self-centered, with sportstalk. Rap is not the right way to do sportstalk.

Let the battle begin...

JA, first let me say thanx for a very well-thought out and reasoned response. usually when a disagreement happens in a forum in spirals into pissing contest, so i appreciate your decorum. now, as far as farrel......he's just not my cup-o-tea. i listened last night (or maybe sunday) and he just irritated me. my girl was in the car and she asked if that was the guy from late nights in atlanta, and i said yeah. she shared my opinion. and yes, he knows a ton about sports. alot of different sports. but there is just something about his schtick that i cant vibe with. maybe i cant get past the voice, but i just cant bear it. and i know i will catch flack for liking a know-nothing like stein and not farrell. but hey, its just me. i like irreverance in my sports talk at times. just non-sensical ramblings.

as far as rap goes, i cant say that i think that rap and sports talk are mutually exclusive. most rap-haters/sports talk lovers, would prolly prefer there was. people seem to confuse rap with hip hop. rap is basically the music whereas hip hop is the culture. the way some of these hosts speak today is no different than them using all of the hippy terms back in the 60s. its not necessarily rap, its the culture. like or not, these are the times in which we live. and its not black culture either. blacks may have started it, but it was white america that embraced it and made it mainstream. alot of us that grew up on grand master flash, also grew up on magic, bird, winfield, payton, etc. so why cant we be enthused about both. and this latest generation of sports fans are even more entrenched in rap than ever. i do believe it goes hand in hand quite nicely.

concerning bitterman, he may be alot of things, but i dont believe he's a hip hop poser. no, i dont think he's cool. but you know what, i dont get the sense that he thinks he's cool either. but maybe im just not seeing it. i think he realizes the dichotomy of being a rich kid that likes old school hip hop. and maybe its a beard. but he has referenced lines and groups that i barely remember, so ill have to give him a pass. and i guarantee that he has more knowledge about it than P. although P is funny as hell with it. someone like rome or hell even stuart scott. those to me sound like posers. i just dont hear andrew forcing slang down our throat. but like i said thats just me. in the end, its all about opinions. i love a healthy dose of pop culture mixed into my sports talk. it makes it more guy talk. and in my "world" i guess you would say, we talk sports, chicks, cars and hip hop (in no particular order) and we all listen to sports radio....

Doc

I think what we have here is-

First I found it interesting you used Walter Payton in your previous post. I never got him to be into hip-hop culture of the time. In fact, he appeared in Hank Williams Jr.'s "Young Country" video.

Oh, sure, there was the Super Bowl Shuffle, but come on. Steve Fuller was in that too.

I like pop culture in my sports talk, too. But pop culture tastes are very subjective. Rock is pop culture- Farrell speaks to that crowd.

I think you're overrating hip-hop culture's influence on society. The fact that I saw the bag boy in my local supermarket was wearing baggy pants does not mean that it is playing in Peoria.

Re: I think what we have here is-

> First I found it interesting you used Walter Payton in your
> previous post. I never got him to be into hip-hop culture of
> the time. In fact, he appeared in Hank Williams Jr.'s "Young
> Country" video.
>

youre right.... there is a failure to communicate (if i can take liberties on your title) i wasnt saying that the sports figures that i mentioned were into hip hop (i also included larry bird....c'mon?!??) i was saying that you can grow up listening to rap and still like sports? am i off base with that one? cause i sure as hell dont think so. and i think that youre underestimating hip hops influence on culture. i grew up in the backwoods of NC. and yes its influence is felt there too, and thats hardly urban to say the least. just look around you. you may not care for the genre, but youre myopic not to see its influence. clothing, television, music and now talk radio.

you have to change with the times or get left behind if your aim is to serve the public. thats just business. and right now, my generation (im 32) and the generation that follows me is strongly into hip hop. i just fail to see the problem with that. some of you guys who have such a strong disdain for the music sound like your parents when you used to listen to rock and roll......

I grew up in the backwoods of NC too

Little River, NC. A town so small there are two Little Rivers in North Carolina.

Influence on culture? No- in my world the people do not speak in ubonics, dress in clothes 20 sizes too big, and shoot each other.

The bag boy in the supermarket? Yes. The guy who actually has some money? No.

people seem to
> confuse rap with hip hop. rap is basically the music
> whereas hip hop is the culture. the way some of these hosts
> speak today is no different than them using all of the hippy
> terms back in the 60s. its not necessarily rap, its the
> culture. like or not, these are the times in which we live.

Doc, care to comment on this?
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-mac06.html

...the headline is: McDonald's lovin' hip-hop look for uniforms

Let's get this back to sportstalk...

Re: I grew up in the backwoods of NC too

> Little River, NC. A town so small there are two Little
> Rivers in North Carolina.
>
> Influence on culture? No- in my world the people do not
> speak in ubonics, dress in clothes 20 sizes too big, and
> shoot each other.
>
> The bag boy in the supermarket? Yes. The guy who actually
> has some money? No.
>

again, a myopic view of what rap is. and its perpetuated by the media. b/c positive rappers such as common, kanye west, mos def, etc dont get the headlines or the radio play. so people latch on to the escapades of 50 cents, the "east/west" war, and any violence that involves blacks and paint it with the broad stroke of hip hop. how convenient. instead of one person being responsible for his/her actions, it gets lumped in under the umbrella of hip hop. thats quite o'reilly-esque of you. and what in the hell is wrong with ebonics. where's the uproar when the folks in alabama speak in their broken dialect. you and i both know that its only a problem when becky and timmy start emulating it in suburbia. rap is the modern day rock and roll. with the rappers being the rock stars. get over it.

and guess what.......all of my friends have PLENTY of money (engineers. doctors, bankers, lawyers, CPAs, etc). and we all listen to hip hop. i even wear my hat backwards from time to time <gasp, the horror>

> Doc, care to comment on this?
> http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-mac06.html
>
> ...the headline is: McDonald's lovin' hip-hop look for
> uniforms
>
> Let's get this back to sportstalk...

it just speaks to what im saying as far as the influence. you have to cater to people in a service industry. its capitalism. i feel better that they are looking into stylish designers like russell simmons, etc. i dont think you have to worry about the hats on sideways and doo-rags. now i dont agree with everyone jumping on the bandwagon.......Rome especially. but most people wanna be hip........

Doc

> > Doc, care to comment on this?
> > http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-mac06.html
> >
> > ...the headline is: McDonald's lovin' hip-hop look for
> > uniforms
> >
> > Let's get this back to sportstalk...
>
> it just speaks to what im saying as far as the influence.
> you have to cater to people in a service industry. its
> capitalism. i feel better that they are looking into
> stylish designers like russell simmons, etc. i dont think
> you have to worry about the hats on sideways and doo-rags.
> now i dont agree with everyone jumping on the
> bandwagon.......Rome especially. but most people wanna be
> hip........
>
>
> Doc
>
Doc, I'm wondering if you'll agree with me that the Chicago Sun-Times staffers have also confused the definitions of the words 'rap' and 'hip-hop'?

> > Little River, NC. A town so small there are two Little
> > Rivers in North Carolina.
> >
> > Influence on culture? No- in my world the people do not
> > speak in ubonics, dress in clothes 20 sizes too big, and
> > shoot each other.
> >
> > The bag boy in the supermarket? Yes. The guy who actually
> > has some money? No.
> >
>
> again, a myopic view of what rap is. and its perpetuated by
> the media. b/c positive rappers such as common, kanye west,
> mos def, etc dont get the headlines or the radio play. so
> people latch on to the escapades of 50 cents, the
> "east/west" war, and any violence that involves blacks and
> paint it with the broad stroke of hip hop. how convenient.
> instead of one person being responsible for his/her actions,
> it gets lumped in under the umbrella of hip hop. thats
> quite o'reilly-esque of you. and what in the hell is wrong
> with ebonics. where's the uproar when the folks in alabama
> speak in their broken dialect. you and i both know that its
> only a problem when becky and timmy start emulating it in
> suburbia. rap is the modern day rock and roll. with the
> rappers being the rock stars. get over it.
>
> and guess what.......all of my friends have PLENTY of money
> (engineers. doctors, bankers, lawyers, CPAs, etc). and we
> all listen to hip hop. i even wear my hat backwards from
> time to time
>
Doc, does your 'o'reilly-esque' comparison sound a bit like you're painting with a broad brush?

> Doc, does your 'o'reilly-esque' comparison sound a bit like
> you're painting with a broad brush?

no, not at all. now if i said "thats very white of you" then yeah, obviously. o'reilly has been pushing this same propaganda for years. anything that has to do with rap/hip hop is branded violent or evil. at the very least negative. how were pratte's words any different? saying that people who make money (therefore successful) have no use for rap music is idiotic. i will leave this topic alone as its been discussed ad nauseum on the atlanta board with regard to the 2 Live Stews (a very Hip Hop sports talk show in atlanta). i respect you guys opinions. i just disagree. completely.....

Well, I took the O'Reilly thing as a compliment

I mean, I think it proves my point.

Doesn't he have the top-rated show on cable news?

Re: Well, I took the O'Reilly thing as a compliment

> I mean, I think it proves my point.
>
> Doesn't he have the top-rated show on cable news?

yeah i guess it does prove your point. mine as well. lets just agree to disagree.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom