• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM104 WIOT

SportsRadioDoc

Inactive
Inactive User
I was visiting my home town of Toledo over the weekend and was brutalized by the station I grew up listening to, WIOT. I sampled the station for 3 hours from 6 to 9 on Friday night and many different times on both Saturday and Sunday. It was a good 45 minutes before I heard a song that was on my stations playlist and prolly another 15 minutes after that before I heard a song that I liked. I heard Damn Yankees, Higher and very deep cuts from DIO (Last in Line), Twisted Sister, and even a Brittney Fox song for god sakes. Here's the funny part; One of the imaging pieces I heard said "Broadcasting from the Stautzenberger College Studios". Yeah, It sounded like a college radio station. Here's funny part, part deaux; I tuned in the classic rock station during one of the brutal moments and they rolled out Alice in Chains, Man in the Box! Hey, I guess if the rock station in town isn't serving the listeners formaticly, the classic rock station should move outside the box so to speak huh?

Here's th not so funny part. I looked at the ratings and holy christ they're #3 12+ with a 7.1?!? So, I hung out with some of my friends who live in T-Town and I asked them, because maybe I'm listening at the wrong time, ya know Friday night and the weekend, throw away time right? They said the station sucks too, can't stand it! So what gives? Who's listening to this garbage? Is it because it's the only game in town? Heritage? Wha?

Well that was a very well thought out reply PBF1. I saw Alternative and Classic Rock. Even more reason not to deliver what listeners can get down the street. Let the classic rocker play the deep cut from Lynyrd Skynyrd and WIOT can serve Toledo with Green Day, Shinedown, Saving Abel, Metallica, Kavo, Motley Crue, Alice in Chains bla bla bla. I listened for 3 days and only heard Metallica from all those bands I just listed. If you turn on any rock station in the country for 4 hours straight and don't hear all of those bands, something stinks on ice!

It's become another CheapChannel cookie cutter rock. WMMS in Cleveland has become the same. They even dropped the Buzzard! WIOT is Active Rock. If you want the same old mainstream classic rock tune to 94.5 WXKR. Same as it ever was.

1-4 was in their hey day when Mark Benson was there & Bob & Brian were on in the morning. Who was their imaging voice through the 80's, anyone know???

I can't stand WIOT. Probably the worst rock station I've ever heard. And growing up in Chicago I heard a lot of bad ones (Q101, WCKG, CD 94.7, the 1997-present incarnation of WLUP). From their lame jocks led by the chronically unfunny Boob and Tom, to their stale imaging to their 80's butt-rock intensive playlist....it's a train wreck. Of course, XKR isn't much better (but at least does not pretend to be a kick ass active rock station while playing Marshall Tucker, unlike IOT) and neither was the late 106.5 the Zone.

But, they play to their audience well. A whole generation grew up listening to 'IOT and would probably keep listening to it if it played nothing but polka songs backward.

Funny, I heard "Classic Rock" 94.5 WXKR playing AIC's "Man In The Box" the other night. What qualifies that tune as classic "rock"? That song is Classic "Active" or "New" Rock. Just like I hear Stone Temple Pilots "Plush" on Classic "Rock" stations. That would be a big "no no" in my book.
Hmmm...I think I started a new format for some old timer in Seattle..."OLD NEW ROCK...WXXX...THE NINETIES & BEHIND!"

nightfly61 said:
Funny, I heard "Classic Rock" 94.5 WXKR playing AIC's "Man In The Box" the other night. What qualifies that tune as classic "rock"? That song is Classic "Active" or "New" Rock. Just like I hear Stone Temple Pilots "Plush" on Classic "Rock" stations. That would be a big "no no" in my book.
Hmmm...I think I started a new format for some old timer in Seattle..."OLD NEW ROCK...WXXX...THE NINETIES & BEHIND!"

Yeah, it's not at all uncommon to hear 90's alternative on WXKR. I even once heard Lenny Kravitz's "Fly Away", which came out in the LATE 90's. They're just trying to compete with WIOT.

I remember when WXKR first went on the air around 1990 as "the North Coast Xcitement" & played some pretty bizarre stuff...Fabulous T-Birds "Tuff Enuff" just didn't seem to fit. Plus you could tell everything was on cart because album tracks (like the cars or Pink Floyd) that ran together, all faded at the same time. Some tunes even faded out before they were over- they must've had a shortage on long carts!

I just checked WRIF & WIOT's playlists & they're close to identical except good 'ole CheapChannel's WIOT has a lot more watered down cookie cutter "blah blah" mainstream crap. I got tired of rock, alternative, new, whatever rock years ago. All CHR & Top 40 rap for this 41 year old! I remember when Detroit's WLLZ used to give 'IOT a run for their money, but were heavier rock...stuff the mainstreamers of Toledo couldn't handle.

VODood said:
Dislike WIOT all you want, the numbers prove otherwise. Perennially #1 M25-54 and if not #1 they're #2 P25-54.

True, but no one can argue that WIOT has gone from being a great heritage rock station with its own distinct sound to Clear Channel cookie cutter crap in less than a decade. I remember visiting Toledo throughout the early part of this decade and noticing its decline every time I tuned in. Really a shame.

When the Bowling Green boys ran/programmed WIOT thru the 1980s you "felt like" you were in & around a college town. It actually sounded fun. Now it's just "let's try & sound all he-man friendly & dark".

nightfly61 said:
When the Bowling Green boys ran/programmed WIOT thru the 1980s you "felt like" you were in & around a college town. It actually sounded fun. Now it's just "let's try & sound all he-man friendly & dark".

I thought it still had a unique feel when I arrived at UT as a freshman in 1996. Of course, I hail from Columbus, whose rock radio selection was and is poor compared to cities considerably smaller.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom