• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Radio signals you've received in the Quad Cities plus an extra ?

It might be possible if the conditions line up. I get stations from Nebraska in Eastern Iowa from time to time. As long as nothing else is occupying the frequency it can happen. I still remember a couple years ago when 98.1 KHAK was off the air in the early morning. I was able to get 98.1 from St. Louis quite strong. RDS and all.

Were you in the QC or Iowa city?

Just got rock 108 from Waterloo (It's on 107.9) Did the Davenport 107.9 station go off the air or is the tropo that strong that it's overpowering their signal? I also have 100.7 coming in like a local right now with 95.7 doing the same. Rock 108 has a bunch of static right now but is somewhat audible.

Both sides actually. Radio locator maps should be taken with a grain of salt.
It's usually a safe bet that an FM from Des Moines wouldn't make it to the Quad Cities, but their high tower, and power level make that happen. It seems that Quad Cities are the cut off point. In Iowa City, their signal is excellent. Star 102.5 has never had that great of a signal. Never heard it in Iowa City, and it seems to die just east of Ottumwa.

Do I need tropo to get 100.3 or is it receivable all the time (As in no tropo is needed)

Near Iowa City.

When 92.3's transmitter in Oelwein went down for a month or so in 2015 I was able to get several very distant 92.3 stations from time to time and 92.5 kjjy from Des Moines fairly strong around the clock. The only odd occurrence I have had going on lately is 98.7 KSMA from Mason City over powering 98.7 KMGO. It's been going on since last year. Even when I was down in Sigourney. I don't know if KMGO got weaker or what.

Near Iowa City.

When 92.3's transmitter in Oelwein went down for a month or so in 2015 I was able to get several very distant 92.3 stations from time to time and 92.5 kjjy from Des Moines fairly strong around the clock. The only odd occurrence I have had going on lately is 98.7 KSMA from Mason City over powering 98.7 KMGO. It's been going on since last year. Even when I was down in Sigourney. I don't know if KMGO got weaker or what.

Per radio-locator, they're still 100,000 watts, and KSMA is at least 75,000 watts lower than KMGO. Usually it's the other way around (higher watt station overpowers the lower watt station) Anything new tropo wise? Moved down to Arkansas and haven't seen much since a brick house can kill radio signals I think.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom