• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency(s) of the Week 2018-19-20: 100.1 and 100.9

FM Frequency(s) of the week 2018-19-20 100.1 & 100.9

Since we’re getting near the end of this 3 year adventure, what do you say we do a twofer?
What do you/did get on these traditional Class A (US) FM frequencies.

100.1 East Tennessee: With the powerful WCYQ (WNOX, WOKI) next door at 100.3, reception on 100.1 doesn’t happen that often, especially since iBoc. I have heard the present day WNSY (simulcasting WJZA on 1310) during their Spanish format a couple of times.

Retro/other: Dayton, OH area, sometimes WXZQ, Piketon, OH. Bluffton, IN (now WFCV) may sneak in, or WSWR, Shelby, OH.
Edinburgh, IN Global Tuners receiver: WKQQ, Winchester (Lexington) KY and WFLQ, French Lick, IN.

100.9:
East Tennessee: Really nothing.
Dayton, OH area: I caught WXIZ, Waverly, OH once when WEEC was off after the remains of Hurricane Ike blew through Ohio. Also WBNO, Bryan, OH and WPGW, Portland IN.
Edinburgh IN Global Tuners: WBDC, Huntingburg IN and WNOW, Speedway IN

Retro DX Clips of the week: 100.1---WLKI, Angola IN (I believe the voice is the late personality and station owner Chris Larko. FM Frequency(s) of the week 2018-19-20 100.1 & 100.9

Since we’re getting near the end of this 3 year adventure, what do you say we do a twofer?

100.1 East Tennessee: With the powerful WCYQ (WNOX, WOKI) next door at 100.3, reception on 100.1 doesn’t happen that often, especially since iBoc. I have heard the present day WNSY (simulcasting WJZA on 1310) during their Spanish format a couple of times.

Retro/other: Dayton, OH area, sometimes WXZQ, Piketon, OH. Bluffton, IN (now WFCV) may sneak in, or WSWR, Shelby, OH.
Edinburgh, IN Global Tuners receiver: WKQQ, Winchester (Lexington) KY and WFLQ, French Lick, IN.

100.9:
Dayton, OH area: I caught WXIZ, Waverly, OH once when WEEC was off after the remains of Hurricane Ike blew through Ohio. Also WBNO, Bryan, OH and WPGW, Portland IN.

Retro DX Clips of the week: WLKI, Angola IN (I believe the voice is the late personality and station owner Chris Larko. FM Frequency(s) of the week 2018-19-20 100.1 & 100.9

100.9:

Retro DX Clips of the week:
100:1-WLKI, Angola IN (I believe the voice is the late personality and station owner Chris Larko)http://46124.info/FM/Indiana/IN Angola 100.1 1978 WLKI.mp3

100.9 WHPO, Hoopston (Hupstun) IL: http://46124.info/FM/Illinois/IL Hoopston 100.9 1980 WHPO.mp3

Mankato, MN
100.1-really nothing..closest thing would be KOLV Olivia, MN

100.9-KOWZ Blooming Prairie/Owatonna, MN

In the near north suburbs of Chicago these two frequencies are right up against strong locals.
100.1 is splatter from local WSHE and 100.9 is right up against local WKQX.

As is the case with radioman, 100.1 and 100.9 are first adjacents to a couple of Chicago full-signal locals. On 100.1, WQFL, a religious station from Rockford, IL, can usually break through the splatter on a good radio, but not to the point of being comfortably lostenable. Being directional with a favorable pattern helps. Distance is about 36 miles.

100.9 is typically empty.

Here around Columbus, Ohio, very little.
100.1 is right next to semi-local WCLT on 100.3, the country giant from Newark. That's about 20 miles east-northeast of me but close enough to dominate anything on 100.1, especially with the digital sidebands.
100.9 is nothing right where I live, next to local classical WOSA on 101.1, but not too far northeast of me the translator for WMVO in Mount Vernon breaks through with oldies.

Ellensburg WA/Kittitas County

100.1 - normally KQFO Pasco (La Ley, Regional Mexican, fuzzy signal)
100.9 - normally KARY Grandview (Cherry FM, Classic Hits, fuzzy to fair signal). Have heard K265AX Chelan (KOZI-FM) at Lion Rock, 15 mi N at 6300' elev.

Es has been heard on 100.1, only a couple logs:
KGBA Holtville CA (Religion)
KWFX Woodward OK (Country)

Only one Es log on 100.9, it was during that big opening on July 7th - KGBL Lakin KS (Country, The Bull).

in Nashville....

100.1 is home to Triple-A "nashville's independent radio. Lightning 100" which is of course WRLT, Franklin. It broadcasts with 200 watts from a location mid-way between Franklin and Nashville from 1181 feet HAAT. The height gives it enough oomph to fully cover built-up metro Nashville proper, but not much more.

100.9 is splatter from urban format 101.1 WUBT, a class C1 facility licensed to Russellville KY but transmitting from a site about 8 miles into TN and at 1289 feet HAAT with 47,000 watts.

100.1 - Usually a weak mix of WVIB Holton (R&B), WSJP Port Washington, WI (Catholic), and WRHN Rhinelander, WI (Jack FM). There used to be a 100.1 in Bear Lake (still licensed with the WOUF calls; its license should be yanked but that's a different story), but it hasn't been on in a few years. There also used to be 100.1's in Sturgeon Bay (now 99.7 WDKF) and Neenah-Menasha (now 100.3 WNCY) prior to Docket 80-90 (and before my time).

100.9 - A weak mix of WWBR Big Rapids (country) and WQHN East Jordan (CCM)

Sidebands of KKRZ (100.3) and KXL (101.1) (formerly KUFO).

Of course listening to KXL on 100.9 is really a propos since their programming is mostly unintelligible static and noise to begin with. I'm not going to say any more on it than that since it gets political.

100.1:
Mason City, IA - Static, though have received KUYY/Emmetsburg at times (mostly weak)
Central KS - Heavy bleedover from adjacent channel KSKG/Salina

100.9:
Mason City, IA - Moderate to weak signal from KOWZ-FM/Blooming Prairie, MN
Central KS - From the hilltop, a decent signal from KCLY/Clay Center.

Moses Lake, WA

100.1 is KQFO Pasco, plain and simple. I can't get anything else on this frequency although I did manage to catch KKTY Glendo, WY via E-skip back in June.
100.9 is KARY, although at night, it can be overridden by IBOC hash from 100.7 KHSS in spots. KWIQ is on 100.5 and sometimes leaks onto 100.9. I've logged two E-skips on 100.9.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom