• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week: 96.9

Melbourne FL

96.9 MHz

WJGL - Jacksonville FL - 96-9 – The Eagle - Classic hits - 2021 - most commonly heard

WINK-FM Fort Myers FL 96-9 More FM Variety – SW Florida 2015

---- WPB area (pirate?) FL Rhythm 96.9 Caribbean/reggae 2005

KW

Kenosha, WI- Local WWDV Zion, IL. 50,000 Watts directional north, short-spaced with 97.1 Chicago. Originally WAXO Kenosha, then WKZN, co-owned with 1500 in Zion. Changed COL to Zion in early 70s, but their 1969-built 450' tower is in Kenosha County about a mile north of the state line. Was purchased by Northern Illinois Broadcasters in 1983, as a repeater for classical WNIB 97.1 Chicago and became WNIZ. This arrangement went on for many years, and always went off the air at midnight. Bonneville bought the station in 2000, and it briefly simulcast WTMX 101.9, as WTNX. In 2003,they became WWDV, simulcasting WDRV "The Drive" (now owned by Hubbard).

On off-air periods I have received WLAV Grand Rapids, MI, WWWX Oshkosh, WI, and WXLP Moline, IL (Quad Cities).

Denver, CO - Yet another Lookout Mountain translator that barely reaches the Denver-Aurora city line: K245CM, broadcasting KKCM Golden, which focuses mostly on Jefferson County west of Denver. Since K245CM has a fairly weak signal where I live, KCCY Pueblo-Colorado Springs also is present.

In Bellingham WA, it's Class C CJAX Vancouver BC. This is the original "Jack" that started it all. But unlike the vast majority of the N American Jack formatted stations, this one is live and local with a host of DJs and the usual contests, etc. "Playing What We Want" has recently morphed into "Playing Whatever" but I don't discern a huge difference in the playlist. The "Jack voice" has also been replaced with a bunch of different voices on the liners. All still kind of smarmy, though. Obviously a bigger playlist than the American versions of Jack due to CanCon.

North Iowa:
A weak KIAQ/Clarion

Central Kansas:
A weak K245BN/Salina, which relays K-Love via KSKG-HD3. Past catches include KFIX/Plainville and KQOB/Enid. Have not received KQRB (soon to be KOZA)/Effingham as of yet.

Wilmington Delaware

W245CJ which relays WXCY in Havre De Grace MD with Country Music. Forever Media squeezed this translator into Wilmington between WLAN Lancaster PA and WFPG Atlantic City NJ. I could hear WFPG quite well before W245CJ was added and can still hear it if I turn the antenna on my radio just right to null W245CJ. I'm not sure why Forever Media did this since it is a narrow signal covering an Urban area where Country Music isn't real popular.

Charleston, SC: Our local Wolf (WIWF) with classic hits (formerly country). Strongest FM signal in the market, 100kw (actually 99kw because of the height of tower). Usually comes in 80 miles out even during dead band conditions. Much further during any tropo. Added HD a year or so ago, with their sister talk signal WTMA on the HD2.

During intense tropo WJGL Jacksonville tries to come in occasionally. Sometimes even with HD. Before 96.9 locally went HD this happened more often. Jax 96.9 usually gets to about Darien, GA, sometimes a little further north before fading.

With both 96.9s playing the same format it can often be hard to differntiate.

Montclair, NJ it's a mix between Alternative WRRB FM in Poughkeepsie, NY, 96.9 out of Long Island, and 96.9 out of Atlantic City.

Central Kentucky:

LM Communications WGKS Paris/Lexington with a classic hits format using the branding "KISS 96.9" from their AC days....

Clifton, New Jersey

No nearby licensed stations, but I have been able to receive a couple of stations during tropo. They include WFPG "Lite 96.9 WFPG" Atlantic City, NJ and WEHN "92.9 and 96.9 EHM" East Hampton, NY.

In Bellingham WA, it's Class C CJAX Vancouver BC. This is the original "Jack" that started it all. But unlike the vast majority of the N American Jack formatted stations, this one is live and local with a host of DJs and the usual contests, etc. "Playing What We Want" has recently morphed into "Playing Whatever" but I don't discern a huge difference in the playlist. The "Jack voice" has also been replaced with a bunch of different voices on the liners. All still kind of smarmy, though. Obviously a bigger playlist than the American versions of Jack due to CanCon.
A side note about CJAX, they must have one of the best signals out of all of the stations in Vancouver. This is one of the few stations that you can still hear all of the way down into Everett in Washington State (probably thanks to the lack of LPFM's that have tried to use 96.9). I find their playlist to be a little repetitive though, and more "adult hits" as opposed to "classic hits."

Charleston, SC: Our local Wolf (WIWF) with classic hits (formerly country). Strongest FM signal in the market, 100kw (actually 99kw because of the height of tower). Usually comes in 80 miles out even during dead band conditions. Much further during any tropo. Added HD a year or so ago, with their sister talk signal WTMA on the HD2.

During intense tropo WJGL Jacksonville tries to come in occasionally. Sometimes even with HD. Before 96.9 locally went HD this happened more often. Jax 96.9 usually gets to about Darien, GA, sometimes a little further north before fading.

With both 96.9s playing the same format it can often be hard to differntiate.
That's pretty cool. I thought 96.9 would be an issue down towards Hilton Head during tropo. I don't even think the 101.1's in NYC and Philly interfere within 15 miles from each other during tropo and they are 3x closer! I imagine WAPE interferes with WSSX south of Charleston

96.9 for me in Nutley, NJ is WQHT 97.1 hash.
Tropo: WFPG Atlantic City, WEHN in the Hamptons and I caught assumed to be WLAN from Lancaster, PA one rare tropo. I was getting Top 40 interfering with WFPG one opening.

Back
Top Bottom