• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM 94/9 is in HDRadio!

All three-non-engineering folks who have HDRadio can enjoy the soothing sounds of Hilary, Halloran, Hanson and Tommy all digitally relayed.

iPhone app
On-line streaming
regular radio
HDRadio
and by smoke signals ..... ok, that may be pushing it.

No multicast stations .... yet. (Either does sister KSON)

Media Hack Chris | SDR said:
All three-non-engineering folks who have HDRadio can enjoy the soothing sounds of Hilary, Halloran, Hanson and Tommy all digitally relayed.

iPhone app
On-line streaming
regular radio
HDRadio
and by smoke signals ..... ok, that may be pushing it.

No multicast stations .... yet. (Either does sister KSON)

Not even a "thud" heard round the world, its more like the yawn heard down the hall, and not even that far, like the next room over...

I don't want to be too much the curmudgeon here, but it never bothered me before. So here goes.

This is an absolutely useless, dead technology. It was dead out of the gate. You can't tell me that it means anything to "the listener" who doesn't understand, or more importantly finds no "whoopee" factor about this, and isn't about to spend whatever to get it in their car or home. I applaud Bill for getting it done under pressure, as he was assigned to do, but in the beginning, middle and end, it's a useless technology and a massive waste of money.

Chris, I appreciate your enthusiasm for all things radio, but this is junk science. There was no problem to solve here that this remotely addresses. IT IS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

As to your consideration of HD additional channels, just remember the more you add to this bloated nonsense, the more is actually taken away. The main channel at its best, is less than you can get from the least iPod. Take from the main to add 2's and 3's and you have a real audio mess in your headphones. As if anyone was left that gives a $hit about audio quality.

I was against this from the outset. The problem with radio is not analog, and the solution is not digital garbage.

RadeoEngineer said:
This is an absolutely useless, dead technology. It was dead out of the gate.

I'm not going to buy an HD radio until they make it quadraphonic.

RadeoEngineer: I never was a fan of HDRadio -- not-true digital radio. The multicasting is interesting, but the hash is best served with fried eggs than on the AM band. FM is a wreck: Rock 105.3's signal was never in sync and I hated driving during Charger's games; I first had to listen to KLAC or the Temecula FMer.

I bought a reasonable radio when it was inexpensive: my car radio is a name brand that has a CD player with HD and the multicast features.

Like I said, the three folks outside of engineers will enjoy it; most will be confused when the HD-2 or HD-3 goes to the analog signal -- especially if it is a miss-match of formats.

Put it this way: Lush Rimbaugh on HDRadio is still Lush Rimbaugh on analog. Until a true digital system is available, this should go the way of the success of AM stereo. Nothing beats picking up 1520 from Oklahoma or 880 from Nebraska ... on an analog radio here in Southern California.

This late breaking bulletin just into the newsdesk.

(sound of typewriters in the background)

FM 94/9 has gone HD.

I repeat.

FM 94/9 has gone HD.

We'll have more details on this late-breaking bulletin as it develops.

(play bumper music from "A Current Affair" Maury Povich era to end the bulletin.)

Bob_Hudson said:
I'm not going to buy an HD radio until they make it quadraphonic.

I have a quad FM radio in my collection. Then came AM stereo .... which spawned HDRadio.
<sarcasm>
All very successful.
</sarcasm>

Actually AM stereo worked quite well. I had the Kahn system on KSON and I put a Motorola system on KURS. They both worked well and sounded great with a decent Sony boombox. AM stereo could still bring some life back to music AM's, and if nothing else, opening the bandwidth of AM stations back up to 10kHz could make a huge difference in audio quality. But like I said earlier, there aren't very many people that give a damn about audio quality anymore.

I like the iTouch App. It's nice to have the station in high quality in the palm of my hand with just one touch. Reminds me of the old days you guys talk about with those transistor radios.

Snarkin USA said:
I like the iTouch App. It's nice to have the station in high quality in the palm of my hand with just one touch. Reminds me of the old days you guys talk about with those transistor radios.

Got a link? I'd like to know more. All of the iPod type players I've listened to have artifacts that drive even my poor old rock n' roll headphone tinnitus ears nuts. I can't even come close to listening to an MP3 player in my car running through the FM receiver because of all the restricted audio bandwidth, noise, and loss of high end. I still load the CD changer. Yes, I am a GEB. I admit it. Or maybe yer jus' goofin' on the ole curmudgeon.

RadeoEngineer said:
Got a link?

Sure, iTunes, then application and search on FM 94/9. It is free, you'll recognize the red fist of music fury.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom