• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Florence, SC musings

The Spring '22 ratings came through today for Florence and as usual, it's no major surprises. Only notable thing is that 102.1 the Fox has gone back up 2 shares. The rest of the Cumulus cluster outside of ratings winners WYNN 106.3 and Glory 98.5/540 have always been in the dumpster.

Q100.5 as an AC can't ever maintain a solid book. They finally managed to get a 1 share. It has to be due to the lifelessness of the station and the automation. Magic 94.3 stays in the 1 to 2 share range. I heart's Flo 102.9 and Alpha's Big DM 101.3 out of Columbia are too much for them. Finally, I have seen very little traction on Classic Country 100.1 since the sign on. Again, the station sounds lifeless and obviously painfully automated. In my personal opinion, the station skews WAY too old.

On the Community Broadcasters side, outside of Live 95, Almighty 105.1 and 93.7 Frank FM, the others are basement dwellers. 99.3 the Kat hasn't made it out of the 1 share in a while. This one surprises me because they have a local morning show and a community presence. Of course, the elephant in the room is that you can not compare their signal to 92.9 WEGX.

Ending on 94.7 The Hog, this one seems to be dead in the water at a 0.6. Their launch in 2019 hasn't made any waves. Personally, I preferred their active rock format they flipped from. I am aware that would of done no better and technically, 94.7 has a city grade signal geared towards Sumter. If Community Broadcasters wants to give it a shot, why not simulcast their new upstart Jamz 107.5 on 94.7? That would cover the western edge of Florence where 107.5 WNKT takes over and would give most of the PeeDee and Sumter a classic hip hop choice.

Q100.5 as an AC can't ever maintain a solid book. They finally managed to get a 1 share. It has to be due to the lifelessness of the station and the automation.
There were three ACs unless I was wrong about 103X going Hot AC. And they were all Hot AC. WSIM was soft AC. Wonder if that would work? WEZV is blocked by the station that airs the former Rush program.

Magic 94.3 stays in the 1 to 2 share range. I heart's Flo 102.9 and Alpha's Big DM 101.3 out of Columbia are too much for them.
I wonder if it was their time playing rock that is the problem? You would think they'd have recovered by now. And there was a need for a rock station then, but 94.3 was active rock when the market needed something more mainstream.

If Fiona cooperates and nothing else goes wrong I'm going to Myrtle Beach tomorrow. I expect to have some additional comments for this thread when I get home.

I didn't listen to Q100.5 for very long. I should have. The first two songs were soft AC, but the next time I tried it, definitely not. That sounds like mainstream AC. If they played too much soft music that could be a problem, at least attracting older listeners, but WRBK is about all the Florence area has, and that doesn't even reach Marion without significant interference from WLGI.

On Frank "Come and get Your Love" was followed by "Smokin' in the Boy's Room". I think it was the Motley Crue version. Every song, the recorded voice says, is supposed to be a surprise. We play everything.

I didn't even try the classic country station again. I could have. Which reminds me. Myrtle Beach has Hank, but I was never quite happy with it. Plus classic country seems appropriate in the mountains but strange at the beach.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom