• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Flinn Broadcasting sells WJXN to EMF

Memphis-based Flinn Broadcasting is selling WJXN (Jackson) and WIVG (Tunica) to the Nashville-based Educational Media Foundation.

In 1997, Flinn had acquired WJXN, then located at 92.9 FM.

In 1999, WJXN swapped frequencies with WDXO, and moved to 100.9 FM.

For years, WJXN had been leased by various companies: Alpha Media (most recently), New South Radio (now Digio Strategies), and On Top Communications (which had owned WRJH [now WRBJ-FM] from 1999 to 2006).

When all is said and done, EMF will own three Jackson stations:
WJAI (93.9): Air1
WJLV (94.7): K-Love
WJXN (100.9): Air1?

Memphis-based Flinn Broadcasting is selling WJXN (Jackson) and WIVG (Tunica) to the Nashville-based Educational Media Foundation.

In 1997, Flinn had acquired WJXN, then located at 92.9 FM.

In 1999, WJXN swapped frequencies with WDXO, and moved to 100.9 FM.

For years, WJXN had been leased by various companies: Alpha Media (most recently), New South Radio (now Digio Strategies), and On Top Communications (which had owned WRJH [now WRBJ-FM] from 1999 to 2006).

When all is said and done, EMF will own three Jackson stations:
WJAI (93.9): Air1
WJLV (94.7): K-Love
WJXN (100.9): Air1?
As I recall, that is a OLD, Jackson call letter...dates back to 1945 = 1450am, now Very Dark

As I recall, that is a OLD, Jackson call letter...dates back to 1945 = 1450am, now Very Dark
Yep. It's been a few years, but I think the following timeline is correct.

WJXN-AM and WJXN-FM were co-located at the WJXN-AM studios off Foley St. in Jackson when Edward St. Pe' was the owner. WJXN-FM started on 92.9 in 1991. Willis Broadcasting bought both stations from St. Pe' and ran them into the ground. Flinn Broadcasting bought the FM from Willis Broadcasting and moved/upgraded the transmitter site in 2002. WJXN-AM was deleted in 2001 along with a number of Willis Broadcasting stations that were on the FCC radar.

Radio-Locator is already listing WJXN as an Air1 affiliate. This will give them a better Air1 signal south of Jackson and a city-grade signal over nearly the entire Jackson metro. Good move on their part, though I'm somewhat surprised that they didn't make it another K-Love station, which seems to be the trend in markets where they already have an Air1 station.

With EMF also buying WIVG in Tunica, I wonder how that will work into how they are set up in the Memphis area since they have K-LOVE on 94.9 and recently bought 94.1 there as well. Both those stations are still K-LOVE but I figured one or the other would change to Air 1, which was already being carried on WIVG on an LMA.

With EMF also buying WIVG in Tunica, I wonder how that will work into how they are set up in the Memphis area since they have K-LOVE on 94.9 and recently bought 94.1 there as well. Both those stations are still K-LOVE but I figured one or the other would change to Air 1, which was already being carried on WIVG on an LMA.

From what I understand, 94.1 in Memphis was originally going to be swapped to another operator (probably Cumulus), but that plan was spiked by the new management at EMF.

Boost would seem to be a good fit in both Memphis and Jackson.

Radio-Locator is already listing WJXN as an Air1 affiliate. This will give them a better Air1 signal south of Jackson and a city-grade signal over nearly the entire Jackson metro. Good move on their part, though I'm somewhat surprised that they didn't make it another K-Love station, which seems to be the trend in markets where they already have an Air1 station.
But 94.7 already covers the same area as 100.9 and then some, so it wouldn’t make sense to make both K-Love. Both 93.9 and 100.9 cover the more populated areas of Rankin County, but 93.9 has even better coverage in the entire county and can also get into Madison and Scott counties better.

Something to think about.. surprised they are running two Air 1s as I know in some markets like New Orleans, they actually lease out transmitters for spanish christian group Radio nueva vida..

Back
Top Bottom