• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

First All Access, now Fybush's NERW?

no NERW last week, this week's Monday edition didn't show up at my address until Wednesday morning.

Looks like I picked the wrong time to renew.
This was at the top of the page:

Programming note: We are moving to biweekly publication for the rest of this summer, as we begin planning to gradually wind down this column due to a steeply declining base of reader support after more than a quarter of a century. Thanks for your patience.

Now I know Scott is a frequent contributor to these boards, and this is not a slam at him because All Access couldn't make a go of it in this economy either, it is just sad that after 25 years Scott is at the point of walking away from NERW.

For the record, I have always looked forward to Scott's Monday missives, and when he went subscription I felt it was worth paying for and I have for a few years now. If NERW goes away I will miss it

no NERW last week, this week's Monday edition didn't show up at my address until Wednesday morning.

Looks like I picked the wrong time to renew.
This was at the top of the page:

Programming note: We are moving to biweekly publication for the rest of this summer, as we begin planning to gradually wind down this column due to a steeply declining base of reader support after more than a quarter of a century. Thanks for your patience.

Now I know Scott is a frequent contributor to these boards, and this is not a slam at him because All Access couldn't make a go of it in this economy either, it is just sad that after 25 years Scott is at the point of walking away from NERW.

For the record, I have always looked forward to Scott's Monday missives, and when he went subscription I felt it was worth paying for and I have for a few years now. If NERW goes away I will miss it

NERW and RadioInsight are the only two industry sites i pay for.. A.) Within my budget and b.) I get more than my moneys worth for it.

Aw, man. I would hate to see NERW go. Fybush is an awesome guy so this is definitely not a knock of him at all whatsoever.

Last posted column was 7/31, as I type this it is after 1300 Hrs eastern time US. August 14 2023..... and no new material.

I guess it is time to delete the bookmark and stop looking for new material on Monday mornings as I have done for a long time now.

I am paying more attention to @Michi online stuff these days and of course this website and Lance Venta's offerings over on his website.

For those unfamiliar with Michi, besides her social media and YT stuff (very good BTW) her website on the doings over at the FCC is pretty in depth fcc.today - your dashboard to the FCC Media Bureau

The podcast/youtube videos are on hiatus until after the filing window. I am working on at least one educational video on LPFM, but that is taking second fiddle right now to a lot of other things. Between the busy-ness and the 100 degree heat index humid Delmarva deays, this Michi is exhausted.

There will be a new column sometime before the end of the day today.

Like Michi, I'm exhausted. It's been a very difficult year, not just with the state of the industry and a whole bunch of other projects, but also with the death of my father last fall, my own health issues and what seems like a funeral for a friend or family member almost every week lately.

Keeping a one-man show going for 30 years is a struggle sometimes.

Last edited:
Scott, I understand your Dad's death has taken a toll on you, and this is not a criticism by any means so please read it in the spirit that it is intended..... you need to find a healthy way to grieve his loss. He would not want to see you in the pain you are now in.

I lost 16 years of my life to grieving in a unhealthy self destructive way.

It cost me everything I had left in the end, until I was able to make peace with the universe.

I don't want to see you go over that cliff, so please my friend, find a support group or other outlet to help you navigate what is going on in your head and heart.

You are not alone.

I'm sorry you lost so many years to your grief.

That said, I don't believe we know each other personally, do we? Please don't speculate about what is or isn't going through my head or how I'm handling the aspects of my personal life that are nobody's business but my family and close friends.

If you'd like to delete your bookmark for NERW, that's your decision. If you'd like a refund on your remaining subscription, I'd be happy to have Lisa process it for you.

I thought I was pretty clear that NERW isn't ending immediately, just going biweekly for the rest of the summer while I deal with some other issues. It will wind down completely sooner rather than later, but I haven't fully determined that schedule yet.

I'm sorry you lost so many years to your grief.

That said, I don't believe we know each other personally, do we? Please don't speculate about what is or isn't going through my head or how I'm handling the aspects of my personal life that are nobody's business but my family and close friends.

If you'd like to delete your bookmark for NERW, that's your decision. If you'd like a refund on your remaining subscription, I'd be happy to have Lisa process it for you.

I thought I was pretty clear that NERW isn't ending immediately, just going biweekly for the rest of the summer while I deal with some other issues. It will wind down completely sooner rather than later, but I haven't fully determined that schedule yet.
I apologize, since you mentioned something and made it public, I thought I would share and give you advice based on what I learned the hard way.

I wish someone had told me about Elisabeth KĂĽbler-Ross, but nobody did.

Today is the 37th anniversary of my son's death.

I hope none of you ever become a member of this club, for those that are I am sorry.

But I eventually accepted that the events that happened were outside of anyone's control, and I got my head on straight.

The memory of a Nurse bringing the lifeless body of my Son into the hospital chapel and placing him in my arms to say goodbye no longer sends me over the edge. Does it make me sad? Am I sad as I type this? You bet, and you bet.

But I am going to be OK.

And all I do for anyone in a similar situation is hope that they will be OK someday too.

We lost our first child and only son on his due date, that year being Good Friday. It’s a wonder how I wasn’t fired from my teaching position, due to my anguish and subsequent anger, but much prayer put me in a much-better place. After 37 years, I still wonder what might have been. We will be reunited someday. Prayers go out to you and your family.

I lost my father in 2020, my mother last year. I loved them both and they were very good to me always, but I was surprised at how quickly the grief passed. It wasn't more than an hour after I got the news that I was listening to my favorite music again and joking with internet friends. Within six hours I was working on an obituary and recalling mostly lighter moments of the childhoods of me and my siblings that involved Mom and Dad. The next day, I was at my brother's place fleshing out the obit, having a beer, and sneaking a peek at the Red Sox game on TV. To this day, I feel little sadness when I think of them, only amusement at the funny things they used to say and do. I suppose that makes me abnormal, but I'd much rather live this way than mourn for years. If only others could deal with death this way.

Back
Top Bottom