• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC Database

H

heinrich

Is there a section on the FCC's website where I can search a station's call letter history by frequency? I want to try to fill some gaps in the timelines on the website.

Also, what other useful information can I get from their website? I've poked around on it but it can become kind of confusing pretty quick.

Thanks

Chris<P ID="signature">______________
Chris Heinrich
Owner/Webmaster
TampaBayRadioHistory.com</P>

Hey Chris,

Not sure about the FCC database...

Dave Sharp worked in the market for several years, and built a pretty extensive site with lots of pics and stories. He's moved on now... last sighting was somewhere in the Pacific Islands.

David had all the info you're looking for... call letters etc. And some great stories and pics.

"David Sharp's Most Excellent Tampa Bay Radio" was the name of his site... The front page is gone... BUT.

If you're willing to do some digging through a lot of crap, if you yahoo or google "Dave Sharp Tampa Bay Radio" you can find some of the remaining pages from his site that were never removed from the server.

BTW... where are you getting all the old logos... I was stunned to see an old 96KX rainbow sticker.(and somewhat frightened to think that I worked there almost 25 years ago)

Keep up the good work.

Michael Serio
APD / Producer - Skip Mahaffey Morning Show
US 103.5 WFUS - Tampa Bay's BEST Country

> Is there a section on the FCC's website where I can search a
> station's call letter history by frequency? I want to try to
> fill some gaps in the timelines on the website.
>
> Also, what other useful information can I get from their
> website? I've poked around on it but it can become kind of
> confusing pretty quick.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris
>

Dave Sharp's site

Chris

Google this: site:ddsradio.20m.com ~ddsradio

Mike

Hey Mike,

I found those pages by doing a Google search. Thanks for the tip.

As far as the logos go, there's a guy who collects radio memorabilia from all over the world. He scanned all the stuff related to Tampa Bay radio and emailed them to me.

A friend of mine was also stunned to find the old Z98 logo on my site. He was a huge fan of the old 98Rock and could not believe that anyone would have anything related to Z98. That's another story.

Chris

> Hey Chris,
>
> Not sure about the FCC database...
>
> Dave Sharp worked in the market for several years, and built
> a pretty extensive site with lots of pics and stories. He's
> moved on now... last sighting was somewhere in the Pacific
> Islands.
>
> David had all the info you're looking for... call letters
> etc. And some great stories and pics.
>
> "David Sharp's Most Excellent Tampa Bay Radio" was the name
> of his site... The front page is gone... BUT.
>
> If you're willing to do some digging through a lot of crap,
> if you yahoo or google "Dave Sharp Tampa Bay Radio" you can
> find some of the remaining pages from his site that were
> never removed from the server.
>
> BTW... where are you getting all the old logos... I was
> stunned to see an old 96KX rainbow sticker.(and somewhat
> frightened to think that I worked there almost 25 years ago)
>
>
> Keep up the good work.
>
> Michael Serio
> APD / Producer - Skip Mahaffey Morning Show
> US 103.5 WFUS - Tampa Bay's BEST Country
>
>
>
>
> > Is there a section on the FCC's website where I can search
> a
> > station's call letter history by frequency? I want to try
> to
> > fill some gaps in the timelines on the website.
> >
> > Also, what other useful information can I get from their
> > website? I've poked around on it but it can become kind of
>
> > confusing pretty quick.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Chris
> >
>
<P ID="signature">______________
Chris Heinrich
Owner/Webmaster

That FCC site is ridiculous! Don't know who they think is looking for info there but mere mortals like me-self have a helluva time....

Anyway, try http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/sta_sear.htm but don't enter too much data.

Only click on whether it's AM or FM under 'Service,' then type in the 'Frequency,' and 'Community of License State.' If it doesn't return any records, try either the current (top field) or previous (bottom field) call letters (but not both) -- tho I doubt you'll have too much trouble.

When the data comes back, 'Click for Details' on the station you want and there'll be a button on the next page for 'View Call Sign History.'

Or, the regular AM/FM search query pages (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/amq.html --AM, http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/fmq.html -- FM) can give the same info, thereabouts.

All you need is the 'State,' Frequency (just put the same one for upper & lower), and under 'Output,' click on 'FM Query (detailed output.....)'-- or AM Query (etc.....),' as the case may be.

When the record comes up, find the station you're looking for and click on "Call Sign Changes" -- just what you're looking for.

Good Luck,
dz

> Is there a section on the FCC's website where I can search a
> station's call letter history by frequency? I want to try to
> fill some gaps in the timelines on the website.
>
> Also, what other useful information can I get from their
> website? I've poked around on it but it can become kind of
> confusing pretty quick.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris
>

Thanks! But I do have one question, I've been noticing that some call letters have a D in front of them. Anyone know why?

WAIT! There was a WFLZ AM in the 80s? I guess that explains why WFLZ is WFLZ-FM. I win my cookie for the day.

> I like this one. It's pretty simple, but gives you plenty of
> options.
> http://www.fccinfo.com/cmdpro.php?
>
<P ID="signature">______________
Chris Heinrich
Owner/Webmaster

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom