• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC Cleans House In Edmond, Oklahoma

XRQKFM

Inactive
Inactive User
Like a tornado, the FCC swooped down on Edmond, Oklahoma taking down two radio stations and nailing a construction company.
A local high school was nailed for broadcasting over-the-air at 55 watts ERP using a brand-new, expensive Harris SuperCiter FM exciter. The school principal had approved the purchases and the daily operation of an automated radio station.
Up next a bust at the Mass Communication Department at the local directional university for broadcasting over-the-air at 35 watts ERP with what the FCC guys said was a very, very, very old Gates FM exciter. Seems the kids broadcasting at the university were upset that no one is listening to their campus station that's broadcast on HD radio via an available sideband of the school's main class D classical station, and on the Internet.
And last but not least they busted a construction company that's building hundreds of new apartments around here. Rather than use an old, beat up two-way radio, the company bought a huge transceiver to power and transmit to and with lots of programmable walkie-talkies they gave to personnel in the field. The base station was operating at about 175 watts on the low end of the FM band.
Spared in the bust was a powerful 100watt FM station with a British Invasion format. It’s owner asked what the cars with the funny triangle antennas were for, after the reply, decided to end the British invasion!

Also breaking and equally important!
Goliath smear campaign has been launched in the northern California town of Woodland, against a small independent rancher who’s property is getting in the way of progress. Since the newspaper The Sacramento Bee has taken the side of the big developers, she feels powerless to do anything about it. As it is; a Cement plant has already been approved to move in next door; just what everybody wants for their neighbor! Independent broadcaster to the rescue!
The Equestrian Radio Network has stepped in to take on Goliath, with an investigative report that has already been launched.
We can’t continue to allow big corporations to take down small ranchers anymore than broadcasters. Big money is in it for sure! One person was offered $50,000 to help trash the rancher.
We have placed a copy of the ERN page with permission on our website:
www.radiobrandy.com/NelsonRanchStory.html
It would be a big help if that link could be posted on as many sites as possible.
$4.30 for a gallon of gas today out west

Steve
Radio Brandy

Great info, Steve.

I can't believe that these schools were either so clueless or ignorant about starting a radio station! I know I've been asked several times about the legality of the Part 15 stations I'm building with for the district I'm employed with, but the staff knows of my background in commercial broadcasting. There had to be someone who had some idea of what they were doing, especially if you go and order a brandy-new Harris exciter. That's just too much to believe.

On the other hand, there's no excuse for the students at the university. They should have been spending time trying to cultivate an audience for their webcast instead of pirating. They have a chance to get a nice sized audience on the net from around the world and not just their community.

On the part of the construction company on the low part of the FM band, I'd like to know what kind of base station/walkie talkie system can tune that range - espeically if it's suppose to meet FCC rules?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom