• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Favorite & least favorite celebrities you've met in broadcasting

I forgot one local celebrity I met - Soren Petro from WHB, he was a nice guy.

My grandparents met:
Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo)
Red Skelton
Bob Hope
Governor/President and Nancy Reagan
George H.W. & Barbara Bush
Queen Elizabeth II
Orion Samuelson
Glen Campbell
The Carpenters
The Pointer Sisters
Kansas governor Alf Landon
Tex Winter
Tom Bradley
Cousin Brucie and his wife
Kansas governor John Carlin

My dad was on WGN with Orion Samuelson once and he said he was a nice guy.

i met gayle king long before she was nationally famous. i was probably 14, called up the WFSB TV newsroom and it was her who answered.. i point blank asked for a tour of channel 3 and to watch a newscast, telling her i wanted to go into broadcasting later in life and wanted to see how they did things. she was about as gracious and kind as could be, met alterzi and denise d'ascenzo briefly.

when i was about 12, i made the same type of call to WVIT 30, got weekend anchor ann baldwin on the phone.. asked her the same thing.. spent an entire afternoon there, met chris wragge briefly, hes now cbs famous.... and got the full tour and treated very well by the rest of the staff (not that i wasnt at channel 3, but i remember this one more because ann and I are still somewhat in contact through social media nearly 30 years later)

And when i was .. again about the same age, i made the same type of call to Channel 22 in Springfield, MA.. got a tour and got to see like a foot away from the weather guy while he was on air, hes in Dallas now

Best one: David Brinkley. There was a Nightline episode live from Mizzou and he was there. I wangled an introduction. I said to him, "I especially admire you as a writer." His response, delivered in classical Brinkley fashion, "That's all...I ever...claimed to be".

NBC let Brinkley say goodbye on the magazine show he hosted ("NBC Magazine") before crossing the street to ABC.

I have never forgotten how he began that farewell, as I was just starting my journalism career.

Said Brinkley:

"The first news story I ever wrote was for my hometown paper. It was two lines about the city painting a stripe down Main Street."

(pause)

Looking back on it, it should only have been one line."

NBC let Brinkley say goodbye on the magazine show he hosted ("NBC Magazine") before crossing the street to ABC.

I have never forgotten how he began that farewell, as I was just starting my journalism career.

Said Brinkley:

"The first news story I ever wrote was for my hometown paper. It was two lines about the city painting a stripe down Main Street."

(pause)

Looking back on it, it should only have been one line."
That's very funny.

One small correction: NBC, CBS and ABC headquarters were all on "Broadcasters Row" on 6th Avenue ("Avenue of the Americas" for the tourists), but only NBC had any TV production there (at 30 Rock). CBS and ABC did have their local AM & FM stations in Black Rock and 1330 respectively, but TV was a mile or so away on the West Side, with ABC's broadcast center at 66th and West End Avenue. So, technically, Brinkley wasn't crossing the street, he was crossing Columbus Circle.

We now return you to Close Encounters of the Celebrity Kind.

That's very funny.

One small correction: NBC, CBS and ABC headquarters were all on "Broadcasters Row" on 6th Avenue ("Avenue of the Americas" for the tourists), but only NBC had any TV production there (at 30 Rock). CBS and ABC did have their local AM & FM stations in Black Rock and 1330 respectively, but TV was a mile or so away on the West Side, with ABC's broadcast center at 66th and West End Avenue. So, technically, Brinkley wasn't crossing the street, he was crossing Columbus Circle.
I meant “cross the street” in the figurative sense, but thanks.

I meant “cross the street” in the figurative sense, but thanks.
Somehow, through the mysterious process of what I call "hauling memories up from the basement", this reminded me of an encounter that I should have remembered sooner.

Linda Ellerbee was visiting the University of Missouri for something that I don't remember. I think she may have been out of NBC by then. One of the University staff members had a reception for her at the staff member's house. That staff member was the sister of one of the announcers at KFRU, who invited me to that reception. As someone who was a big fan of Weekend, I had to go.

So I arrive and realize...this was the house next door to the house where my aunt and uncle lived more for than 20 years, which was also the house in which I spent the summer of 1968 as my dad recovered from an operation that saved his life. Moreover, the two houses were mirror images of one another and shared a driveway. Mind blown.

Anyway, Linda was a delight to talk to, with the sense of humor that was so much in evidence in her on-air work, but even more irreverent in person. It would be a cliché to say it was an evening to remember...but I almost didn't!

Somehow, through the mysterious process of what I call "hauling memories up from the basement", this reminded me of an encounter that I should have remembered sooner.

Linda Ellerbee was visiting the University of Missouri for something that I don't remember. I think she may have been out of NBC by then. One of the University staff members had a reception for her at the staff member's house. That staff member was the sister of one of the announcers at KFRU, who invited me to that reception. As someone who was a big fan of Weekend, I had to go.

So I arrive and realize...this was the house next door to the house where my aunt and uncle lived more for than 20 years, which was also the house in which I spent the summer of 1968 as my dad recovered from an operation that saved his life. Moreover, the two houses were mirror images of one another and shared a driveway. Mind blown.

Anyway, Linda was a delight to talk to, with the sense of humor that was so much in evidence in her on-air work, but even more irreverent in person. It would be a cliché to say it was an evening to remember...but I almost didn't!
Linda’s a big favorite of mine, as were Lloyd Dobins and Bill Schechner. And Weekend was a great show.

My favorite Linda lede (from NBC News Overnight) was about a middle school where the students set up a bank, loaning lunch money and library fines and learning how such things work.

Until the State Banking Commissioner shut them down on the grounds that they didn’t have a banking license.

LINDA:

“In a beauracracy, as in a septic tank, the really big chunks rise to the top.”

Linda Ellerbee's book, And So It Goes - Adventures in Television (1985) is a great read. I pulled out the book just now and it appears I bought it during my time in Houston*, purchased at the old Book Stop in the Alabama Theater shopping center, one of the most awesome bookstores ever. The book is awesome, too, with lots of gems...and very funny, if at times a bit frantic. But it's a frantic profession. There's just too much in that book to quote any one thing. I hope it's still in print.

* Ironically (?), looking at the Bookstop label on the back, I gather that I bought the book in August 1986 - five months after I was fired at KTRH. I'm not sure what was going through my mind then.

Third time. General election night, 2000. 5:00 pm Arizona time. David Leibowitz and I are co-hosting election coverage on KTAR in Phoenix. We are both talk show hosts.

The producer gets in our ear and tells us that Barbra Streisand is on the line. She was calling major talk stations around the country to urge people to vote for Al Gore before the polls closed.
This reminds me of one. I was the producer for a sports show in 2008, and we got a cold email from a publicist. Would you like to interview Sean Astin by phone?

It happened that one of our hosts went to Notre Dame and loved Rudy and so we arranged it.

Well, it turned out that Astin was really only interested in stumping for Hillary Clinton on our air, which was left out of the publicist's email. I would have spam binned it if it had mentioned a politician. We didn't do any politics on our all-sports show/format. After our host asked 2-3 questions about Rudy, Sean gave a short stump for Hillary and the call disconnected - our host dumped the call.

i met gayle king long before she was nationally famous. i was probably 14, called up the WFSB TV newsroom and it was her who answered.. i point blank asked for a tour of channel 3 and to watch a newscast, telling her i wanted to go into broadcasting later in life and wanted to see how they did things. she was about as gracious and kind as could be, met alterzi and denise d'ascenzo briefly.

when i was about 12, i made the same type of call to WVIT 30, got weekend anchor ann baldwin on the phone.. asked her the same thing.. spent an entire afternoon there, met chris wragge briefly, hes now cbs famous.... and got the full tour and treated very well by the rest of the staff (not that i wasnt at channel 3, but i remember this one more because ann and I are still somewhat in contact through social media nearly 30 years later)

And when i was .. again about the same age, i made the same type of call to Channel 22 in Springfield, MA.. got a tour and got to see like a foot away from the weather guy while he was on air, hes in Dallas now

I've met a handful of local celebrities a few places where I've lived. I met John Anderson when he was at KOTV in Tulsa and again when he was at ESPN when he did an interview at the radio station where I was working. He was a good guy both times.

I occasionally ran into Kris Budden, who is now with ESPN, when she was in college. Didn’t really interact much with her, though.

I had a couple classes with Lauren Lemanczyk in college but didn’t know her well. I believe she's at KARE 11 in Minneapolis now, but she was briefly seen nationally when she worked in Boston during the Boston Marathon bombing.

John Criswell from KDFW in Dallas was as nice and approachable as they came. If I remember correctly, he was married to a deaf woman and was heavily involved in charities and organizations to help the disabled.

Bryan Busby, who had occasionally filled in on Good Morning America in the 80’s, worked in St. Louis and now works as chief meteorologist for KMBC in Kansas City. Ran into him at the bar at the now defunct 75th Street Brewery in Kansas City one night. He was a riot! That was among the hardest I've ever laughed in my life. It was like a free standup comedy session.

Jilda Unruh, who went on to work at several stations in Miami, Boston, and Minneapolis, presented at the career fair at my junior high when I was in sixth grade. She was an investigative reporter in those larger market stations and was often called a “pitbull in pumps.” I found her totally unlikeable. Made the presentation all about her, didn’t leave time for questions, and didn’t make herself accessible after the session. Refused to even sign an autograph for a classmate. My junior high/middle school had a career fair every year, and she was the only person who ever did anything like that. She died suddenly a few years ago. I don’t want to say I said, “Yeeeessss!”, when I read the news, but I didn’t feel sad to read it.

BTW - I dug out my old high school yearbooks and found this picture of Amber Valletta from my sophomore year and her junior year. She had already appeared on the cover of Vogue and had been around the world by the time it was taken. This is from Fall 1990.

Attachments

• IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2
Most of my stories are about people none here have ever heard of. But a few are well known:

1970 in San Juan. The Spanish label Alhambra's local promoter asked me if I'd like to play for the first time "in the Americas" a new song by a new singer and also have my jocks present him on a Channel 7 TV show. I did not know I was the "last choice" after several other stations, and Channels 2 and 4, the leaders, had turned him down. The artist was Julio Iglesias and he spent the evening over wine with me and the promoter after the show. The song was a hit. Every year Julio invited me to dinner with him before one of his shows at a hotel showroom in Puerto Rico.

In Miami in 1981, I connected with a "garage band" lead by the lead player who also wrote songs and his wife, a very cute young singer. They did anything I asked for. They played at station remotes until our sister station, Y-100, played a song they did in English. Who? Gloria and Emilio, better known as Miami Sound Machine.

In general, all the music artists I dealt with in Puerto Rico, Miami, LA, Buenos Aires, Quito, Mexico, Santo Domingo, were very nice and maintained friendships.

Most interesting non-artist meeting. In 1960 I was 12 or 13 and was the youngest member of the promotion team in Cleveland, Ohio, for the presidential campaign. The candidate visited our HQ at The Point Building in Clevland and noticed the young kid with campaign buttons and even a banner... waked up and started asking why I was campaigning for him. I gave him a good Junior High answer, I guess, and he told the rest of the people there "this is the kind of campaigner we need". I guess not. He did not win. But Ricard Nixon was really nice to me.

I got to sit next to Gloria Estefan at a remote in the mid 80's. What a truly nice person. Really enjoyed that remote.

Engineering was across the hall from the control room and Olivia Newton John stepped in because it was quite. We talked for a few minutes, then she went into the studio. Another truly nice person.

At another station I got to sit next to Aaron Neville while he was interviewed and sang on the air. Nice guy and to be able to sit there and hear him sing acapella was amazing.

Ottmar Liebert also did a couple of studio interviews at the same station. Nice guy and he could make any guitar sound good. He would show up with just one guitar he liked to travel with.

Had to record one side of an interview with Neil Diamond. He was nice, didn't really talk to him since he was talking to the interviewer on the phone the hole time. Was kinda strange sitting across the table from him with out his hair.

That’s so cool David! You just reminded me, my grandparents met Richard and Pat Nixon at a White House state dinner and they said he was a really nice guy and so was Pat. That’s also how they met Glen Campbell and Orion Samuelson, Glen was the entertainment.

Linda Ellerbee's book, And So It Goes - Adventures in Television (1985) is a great read. I pulled out the book just now and it appears I bought it during my time in Houston*, purchased at the old Book Stop in the Alabama Theater shopping center, one of the most awesome bookstores ever. The book is awesome, too, with lots of gems...and very funny, if at times a bit frantic. But it's a frantic profession. There's just too much in that book to quote any one thing. I hope it's still in print.

IMG_0889.jpg

On my bookshelf as we speak. In between Brinkley and the man who created and executive produced Weekend, Reuven Frank.

Reuven was a major figure in early TV news---it was he who paired Huntley and Brinkley, and he was President of NBC News twice---from 1968 to 1974 and from 1982 to 1984 (so it was he who also gave us NBC News Overnight).

I really recommend his book. It and Linda's are long out of print, but clean used copies can be found at Amazon and other used booksellers for six or seven dollars.

And back to Linda's book---every single story is a gem. I especially like her "covering" NBC's hotel bill for convention coverage and submitting a five-figure expense account for reimbursement.

I met Sean Connery and Olivia Newton-John at separate chance meetings, and they were down to earth, really nice people. I was friends for years with Bruce Williams of Talknet / Westwood 1 and he too was a really good guy and a class act. The big disappointments were local / regional / state "celebrities" met during broadcast work; not worth the time to mention. I've found pretty much the only real 'talent' I've met in broadcasting worked in engineering!

View attachment 6890

On my bookshelf as we speak. In between Brinkley and the man who created and executive produced Weekend, Reuven Frank.
Well, if we're going to do that...heeeere's Linda.
P1020722-resized.jpg
Yes, there's a lot of CBS stuff up there (and Texas stuff from my KTRH days). There was a lot of CBS influence in the KBIA newsroom at Mizzou. We even had a deal where we had dial-up access to CBS radio newscalls.

Meanwhile, Brinkley....
P1020723-resized.jpg
Between Brinkley and the other radio stuff is The Paper, a history of the New York Herald-Tribune, a newspaper whose fate in some ways presaged the predicament that the media are in today. Plus the newspaper was badly managed even as it produced some good journalism.

Elsewhere in the house is the book that has been my go-to time and again for journalism history, David Halberstam's The Powers that Be.

Reuven was a major figure in early TV news---it was he who paired Huntley and Brinkley, and he was President of NBC News twice---from 1968 to 1974 and from 1982 to 1984 (so it was he who also gave us NBC News Overnight).

I really recommend his book. It and Linda's are long out of print, but clean used copies can be found at Amazon and other used booksellers for six or seven dollars.
Thanks...I'll check it out. I do most of my reading on a Kindle these days, but it appears that Reuven's book isn't available there ("thin air" gets 38 results, including one for a book on air fryers, so that must be a popular theme for book titles).

I have that David Brinkley memoir!

Back
Top Bottom