• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fate of the 1330AM tower

Yup. 660 used to be a powerhouse daytime at 50kw. I’d hear them in the Charleston area as WLFJ. They had listeners in Columbia also.
Funny you mention Charleston - 660 is sort of like what 730 WLTQ was like when it was finally donated by then-Clear Channel. A 5kw good daytime signal but very limited at night but better than 660’s daytime only. If I recall they had listeners in Charlotte too.

Forgot to note - 660 and 1440 are diplexed at the original 1440 site behind Ingles at White Horse and Saluda Lake since they built a subdivision on the old WESC site several years ago. One of my favorite radio sites of all time is the 1440 one.

I heard it several times listening the other day, it’s “97.1 and 97.7 The Fan Upstate” - here’s the only (and I repeat only) mention the AM simulcast ever gets…and they don’t even tell the frequencies:

Funny you mention Charleston - 660 is sort of like what 730 WLTQ was like when it was finally donated by then-Clear Channel. A 5kw good daytime signal but very limited at night but better than 660’s daytime only. If I recall they had listeners in Charlotte too.
They did? WOHS wasn't that far west.

Now it has a stronger signal and definitely reaches Charlotte, day and night.

What I recall about WLTQ is that somehow I found out people in Hilton Head were upset when their good music station went away but they were able to pick up another station from Charleston. Eventually that was gone too but for a while Hilton Head had its own good music station.

They did? WOHS wasn't that far west.

Now it has a stronger signal and definitely reaches Charlotte, day and night.

What I recall about WLTQ is that somehow I found out people in Hilton Head were upset when their good music station went away but they were able to pick up another station from Charleston. Eventually that was gone too but for a while Hilton Head had its own good music station.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant 660 as Christian talk was fairly popular in parts of the Charlotte metro in the 00s.

I did a quick AM scan in Piedmont today that did fairly well. 660, 1020, 1070, 1330, and 1440 all locked easily. 1260 and 1490 were listenable but not the best, and I’m convinced 1070 is running at very low power, enough to feed the 94.9 translator.

660, 1330, and 1440 still sound good from an engineering standpoint for AM’s in 2023.

AM 1530 (WASC) is an interesting and wonderful station in Spartanburg (Urban / R&B) but it's on AM with a limited signal and no streaming. I would love to see this station get on FM, it would really give WJMZ some competition. I can barely hear their 1000 Watt Daytime-Only signal in Gaffney. Great signal strength with this station is really only limited to the Downtown Spartanburg area.

Great conversation here, especially the local observations of sites and signals.
I "wish" there were more online SDRs around the country to give a sense of what is going on.
Of course wishing and three dollars will get me a cup of coffee.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom