• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Extended Band In Orlando?

Alright Gentlemen,

I have some questions regarding Extended Band Stations...

When the FCC granted licenses to extended band applicants, the stipulation was that within 5 years of their license being granted, they had to surrender either the original station or the extended band station.

Rama Communications applied for WLAA (1680), to replace WOKB (1600). Rama Communications claims they found a way around it. They claim that by applying for a major change in community of license in 2004 when the FCC opened up the window for Auction 84, that the FCC is going to let them keep both licenses.

Can Rama really do that?

Also, many of the Extended Band station owners are getting together and want to ask the FCC to allow them to sell the stations to new owners instead of surrendering them. What happens to the others who already surrendered their stations long ago. Do they get those licenses back to sell theirs too?

In my opinion neither one of the topics discussed will be approved...

I think the FCC will end up having to force Rama to shut down a station. Knowing them, they will try to keep both on as long as possible even after the deadline.

Rama currently has WLAA rented out to a Mexican entity, and WOKB in Gospel. Rama has not informed clients on either station what they are planning to do once they have to shut down one or the other.

Which one is going to get cut???

Things could get real ugly over there come September 6th...

OrlandoGM

Since the time the original rules on expanded band went into effect, policy has changed from "cleaning up the band" to "squeezing every last possible allocation into the band". So I doubt those stations will go off the air.

Mr. Gr8Oldies,

I understand how the FCC changes policy more often than I change clothes, but what happens to those who have already complied with the conditions and surrendered one of the frequencies?

Orlando GM

Can someone show me where on the FCC website there is documentation stating that the rule has been changed as Mr. Gr8oldies has posted.

I have yet to see a new ruling...

A petition was filed with the Commission in March asking to delay the turn-off date and to allow the sale of one of the two stations to minority or small business groups.

The petition is available at http://www.mmtconline.org/filemanager/fileview/53/. An article discussing the petition is at http://www.rwonline.com/reference-room/special-report/2006.06.21-03_rw_AM_ex_6.shtml.

The FCC has acted on the request for a stay. It's been a while since I saw the document and I cannot immediately lay my hands on it. My recollection is that the one year requested stay was granted, but the Commission has not yet acted on the larger request for change in policy for the sale of one of two stations associated with the expanded band. At the time I was looking into this for a local expanded band station.

So no one here can show me where the FCC has a new ruling regarding this matter. I have looked all over the FCC website and the only thing I see is MMTC's petition from March. I think the only reason the MMTC is backing this is because they want to be the broker in the deals if those extended band stations are permitted to be sold.

I don't think the FCC will move fast enough for some of these stations who have to surrender some of these licenses in the next couple of months.

Don't even get me started on Rama Commuications. Those idiots have the 3 towers for 1600 and single tower for 1680 on the same property,a few mere dozen yards from each other.

The only thing thats changed about 1600 is the COL, from Winter Garden to Ocoee. They arent even moving the towers as they are already in Ocoee on Clarke Road.

When I worked at WTIR, I once told a long-time company friend in the presence of Sabetta(Pam) Persaud, the owners wife, "Not only are we operating at almost 225 percent of our authorized night power level, but our directional array isnt functioning properly". Without batting an eye, Cleo replied, "Look, it's been that way for 4 years. If we don't get caught and if no one reports us.. it doesnt matter".............. The owners wife, Sabetta didn't say a word.

That shows you what kind of people Rama really are. If the FCC reads this, I'll happily sign an affadavit swearing to that fact. By the wya, as far as I know, they arent planning on shutting off either one. They MIGHT turn 1600 off temporarily as that is run and programmed By Rama themselves. It would stay off till 1600 gets it's CP for ocoee granted.

Or maybe not, maybe it'll stay on all night like WNTF 1580 does.

Paul,

Trust me I know what you mean about Rama. I will not get started on the different things I know in public.

They already have the CP for Ocoee. But that does not mean they can stay on.

If the FCC rnforces the extended band stipulation of shutting off, I am sure there are others like you and myself who are watching the date and will quickly call or write the FCC and make sure they stay off.

My question still has been unanswered though.

Is the FCC going to enforce this???

i will tell you one thing, *IF* Rama is forced to shut off one of them say goodbye to 1600.

Kris is making over $30,000 per month leasing it out. he isn't making anywhere near that programming 1600 himself.

Btw OrlandoGM...email me: [email protected] I promise I won't tell anyone who ya are...

OrlandoGM said:
Alright Gentlemen,

I have some questions regarding Extended Band Stations...

When the FCC granted licenses to extended band applicants, the stipulation was that within 5 years of their license being granted, they had to surrender either the original station or the extended band station.

Rama Communications applied for WLAA (1680), to replace WOKB (1600). Rama Communications claims they found a way around it. They claim that by applying for a major change in community of license in 2004 when the FCC opened up the window for Auction 84, that the FCC is going to let them keep both licenses.

Can Rama really do that?

I think the FCC will end up having to force Rama to shut down a station. Knowing them, they will try to keep both on as long as possible even after the deadline.

OrlandoGM

OK... Here's another one for you good folks to chew on. 1580--South Bend, IN... Formerly WJVA; to WAMJ (Miramar Communications)--filed an app for the X-band and recieved a rulemaking to convert the daytime-only service on a Canadian Clear to 500-watts night into a DA; then to WHLY (Times Communications owned by a "free" weekly "shopper" newspaper), then sold AFTER Time put on the 1620 X-Band allocation (in the fall of 1998) to Artistic Media Properties (AMP). Add five years--it SHOULD be OFF now--it isn't... Appears to be running (as of last week) on a PC loaded with WinAmp and a few hundred "Frank 'n Dean tunes" and ONLY an ID NEAR the top-of-the-hour. FCC records indicate a license to "Time" (which may no longer exist in its original form due to the sale of the newspaper several years ago).

So WHAT'S WITH THIS??? 'Sounds like a job for Paul B Walker! Hey Paul--NO OFFENSE--I was just as enthusiastic in my younger years... HI-FIVE!

WHY is 1580 at South Bend STILL ON? Why is a defunct newpaper still shown as the license holder when we suspect the PC is in the AMP building? WHEN will the FCC start DOING THEIR JOB and ENFORCE their rules. GOD... I'm ready for some BIG CHANGES!

Gentlemen,

The remaining Extended Band Stations that have not surrendered one of their frequencies file a petition to the FCC asking them to allow them to keep both for a period of one year and allow them to sell one of them to a minority entity to promote "Diversity." The FCC has not made a decision on this and is granting STA's until an official ruling is made. That is how Rama continues to operate both signals beyond the "Shut Off" date.

As we all know it is an election year and the FCC is moving at 2 speeds, slow and stop.

I think we will be seeing a ruling on this shortly after the elections are over or by the start of 2007.

I feel the FCC is going to deny this petition based on the fact that other licensees have already surrendered some of their stations as agreed, and the FCC is not going to just give those frequencies back.

I think the petition is just a way to stall and buy a little more time for those that want to make a little more money before they have to surrender one of their frequencies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom