• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

End of Year MIC SURVEY!

Call me old fashioned, but I always liked the dependable old RCA BK5B. :)

If you wonder why, just read the sig line!

JeffJasper said:
I've not used any of the Soundelux/Bock, but I've sure read a lot of raves and can't remember any complaints.

I hesisitate to say, but I just don't see how the ifet7 can really emulate both the U47fet and the U87 without changing capsules. I realize there's a substantial change in the switchable circuitry, but the capsule is the basis for the sound. So. Is it a K47 clone or a K87 clone, or none of the above? Enquiring minds want to know.

I read a lot about the ifet7 being used on kick drum in place of a fet47, but not a lot about it getting used for vocals. I do read a lot about either the U195, U95, or Elux251 on vocals. With fewer raves on the U95/U99 since the 251 came out.

Mitch Phillips used to swear by the U195, which is why he sold me his 416. He sold the 416 because he wanted one U195 for the home studio, and one for the road. He characterized it as having natural mids with air, and of course the switchable bass boost and cut. Mitch's stuff that I've heard on the air, tho, sounds like it needs a mid-bump, IMHO.

If I were shopping for a 47-type sound today, I'd lean more toward Microtech Gefell with the real M7 or one of the Neumanns with the K47 or K49 capsule. I think that 50 years from now when all those old Gefell PVC diaphragms tighten up like the old U47s of today, those will be considered the classic mic to have. But I haven't tried any Gefell either.

JJ

I used to image George Robinson www.georgerobinsonvoices.com. He uses the 737/U195 combo. I've always liked the sound. I've heard the U195 with his ISA220 too. Nice sound as well. Hence my leaning towards the U195, plus the reviews rating it above the u87.

I just purchased a Gefell MT 71s and LOVE it!
JL recommended it awhile back and for good reason.
I'm running it into a GML 2032 and Neve Portico 5043, still working on some settings, but it looks like no eq will be needed for the stuff I'm doing.
(Thanks Jeff)

Just bought an AT4047 (thank you Emmett for the help in deciding). Got it for a deal, less than $400 NEW on eBay.

Looking forward to pairing it with the Avalon M5 or the ISA220.

When I started at this shop we were using Sennheiser 4032 in the booth. One day when tossing some old reel to reel tape (remember those?) I came across a nice black leather-bound box and inside, wait for it.... a Neumann U87. Of course I hooked it up and at first it seemed "flat" compared to the very bright 4032. After a few EQ tweaks I got the U87 dialed in and there's been no going back ever since. Very honest sound with a transparent feel for the highs and crisp low-end that I can only attribute to terrific transient response. But mics are just like headphones (don't get me started!). Everybody has a fave and sometimes there's really no rational explanation. It's one of those "just because" things!

To a previous post. I have an old RCA 77DX. The sound best described as "smooth" maybe a little dull on top end and gotta watch out for that proximity effect when close mic-ing. Once upon a time I worked with the RCA 44..now that was one sweet sound and, I swear, that mic must have weighed 5 pounds!

If you are looking for an AWESOME dynamic mic that sounds like a condensor for a hell of a price, check out the Heil PR-40. It has a great bass response to it with extra brightness in the 2-3 khz range. I send into a tube pre-amp and from their into my processor. I use it for production and on-air from my home studio in Mexico and it sounds FANTASTIC. What's better is the price. For $300 you can't go wrong. It is a steal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom