• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

East Coast Tropo on July 4th

• Thread starter PoughkeepsieDXer
  • Start date
P

PoughkeepsieDXer

Got some decent tropo here in Poughkeepsie, NY on the morning of the 4th, between 9 and 9:30am. First I thought I was just getting some good short haul from Philly and Eastern PA... then I landed on 102.5, and instead of PA heard "The Shark", WERX-102.5 Columbia, NC with oldies (or maybe 60's & 70's). Tuning around I heard more NC, including Dixie 105.7 WRSF (Country) also from Columbia, and Oldies -107.9 WNCT Greenville. All the above were previously logged, but nice to hear again. I tried real hard for WSFL-106.5 New Bern, which I used to get often years ago in Southern Connecticut... but no go.

I did get one new log... while checking for WCXL-104.1 Kill Devil Hills (which I didn't hear) I did get:

WWZZ-104.1 Waldorf, MD (Washington DC) "Z-104" with Shadow Traffic (on a major Holiday???) at 9:11am. 268 miles.

Interestingly, did not get Norfolk area or DelMarVa stations. In fact, I had first tried for "Froggy" WWFG-99.9 Ocean City, MD when I turned on the radio, and was just getting a strong WODE-99.9 from Eastern PA. Froggy usually comes in well during good coastal tropo. The signals I was getting from NC were decent, but not solid like they are during the best tropo openings.
By the way, about a week and a half ago, I also heard WNCT-107.9 one morning quite well, but nothing else farther than Baltimore that morning. WNCT really gets out nicely.

<P ID="signature">______________
Chris from Poughkeepsie
DX Enthusiast for more than 40 years
http://hometown.aol.com/dx1ng</P>

Re: East Coast Tropo on July 4th (and new personal DX record)

> Got some decent tropo here in Poughkeepsie, NY on the
> morning of the 4th, between 9 and 9:30am. First I thought I
> was just getting some good short haul from Philly and
> Eastern PA... then I landed on 102.5, and instead of PA
> heard "The Shark", WERX-102.5 Columbia, NC with oldies (or
> maybe 60's & 70's). Tuning around I heard more NC, including
> Dixie 105.7 WRSF (Country) also from Columbia, and Oldies
> -107.9 WNCT Greenville. All the above were previously
> logged, but nice to hear again. I tried real hard for
> WSFL-106.5 New Bern, which I used to get often years ago in
> Southern Connecticut... but no go.
>
> I did get one new log... while checking for WCXL-104.1 Kill
> Devil Hills (which I didn't hear) I did get:
>
> WWZZ-104.1 Waldorf, MD (Washington DC) "Z-104" with Shadow
> Traffic (on a major Holiday???) at 9:11am. 268 miles.
>
> Interestingly, did not get Norfolk area or DelMarVa
> stations. In fact, I had first tried for "Froggy" WWFG-99.9
> Ocean City, MD when I turned on the radio, and was just
> getting a strong WODE-99.9 from Eastern PA. Froggy usually
> comes in well during good coastal tropo. The signals I was
> getting from NC were decent, but not solid like they are
> during the best tropo openings.
> By the way, about a week and a half ago, I also heard
> WNCT-107.9 one morning quite well, but nothing else farther
> than Baltimore that morning. WNCT really gets out nicely.
>

I noticed there was a good tropo yesterday. Last night around 11:30, I got WQHQ from the Ocean City-Salisbury, Maryland area. That is 104.7 FM. "Q105". They had "Delilah" on the air. That is my new FM DX record! I got the station from Sussex County, New Jersey. Normally K1047 (Top 40 and I am sure you know what station I am talking about Chris) comes in. K104's signal is very strong in my area and I was surprised to hear a different station.
<P ID="signature">______________
Kevin</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom