• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Donny Osmond on the radio?

S

Stumpy_Joe

I read about a week ago that Donny Osmond is hosting a new weekly TV show on ABC in a few weeks...and then in Allaccess the other day I read about him doing a daily radio feature...Anyone see that? ??? Here's the link:

http://www.8TrackPlayback.com/

The dude's like the new Dick Clark...ageless. It's kinda creepy. Still looks 25. How does he do it? Anyway, the feature sounds pretty damn good...Thought I'd throw it out there in case there's some other PDs looking for a new feature...I'm probably gonna use it in middays...

You thought that sounded "pretty damn good?" Sounded pretty cheesy to me. Plus, I didn't care for the cheap jokes. Like Marie used to sarcastically say on the 70's "Donny & Marie Show" ..."very funny, Donny!" It's basically a "this day in Rock & Roll History", with a couple of Happy Birthdays thrown in...nothing that couldn't be offered up by your own air staff from their daily prep.

fang39 said:
Like Marie used to sarcastically say on the 70's "Donny & Marie Show" ..."very funny, Donny!"

Correction---She used to say "Cute, Donny, really cute!"

fang39 said:
fang39 said:
Like Marie used to sarcastically say on the 70's "Donny & Marie Show" ..."very funny, Donny!"

Correction---She used to say "Cute, Donny, really cute!"

not sure which is sadder ... Donny on the radio or us remembering quotes from the tv show... :D

Sure it sounds good! I suppose I could have my midday or afternoon guy do that type of content, and they do, but this is a name that my listeners like...it just stands out very well. Plus, my advertisers know and like this guy too...so the jokes may get cheesy from time to time...the production value is solid, and the name alone will make it worth the effort. We plan to do some contesting using this, too...so all in all, I wish there were more products out there like it...Everyday I get pounded by the same tired stuff from United Stations and the rest...Finally someone hit me up with something that cuts through and sells too. ;D

fang39 said:
You thought that sounded "pretty damn good?" Sounded pretty cheesy to me. Plus, I didn't care for the cheap jokes. Like Marie used to sarcastically say on the 70's "Donny & Marie Show" ..."very funny, Donny!" It's basically a "this day in Rock & Roll History", with a couple of Happy Birthdays thrown in...nothing that couldn't be offered up by your own air staff from their daily prep.

yeah. the 70's were elton john's decade, not donny osmond or david cassidy's

Stumpy_Joe said:
Sure it sounds good! I suppose I could have my midday or afternoon guy do that type of content, and they do, but this is a name that my listeners like...it just stands out very well. Plus, my advertisers know and like this guy too...so the jokes may get cheesy from time to time...the production value is solid, and the name alone will make it worth the effort. We plan to do some contesting using this, too...so all in all, I wish there were more products out there like it...Everyday I get pounded by the same tired stuff from United Stations and the rest...Finally someone hit me up with something that cuts through and sells too. ;D

Really? And how many Donny Osmond/Osmonds/Donny & Marie songs do you currently have in your station's rotation?

fang39 said:
Stumpy_Joe said:

Really? And how many Donny Osmond/Osmonds/Donny & Marie songs do you currently have in your station's rotation?

Good point. To me Donny brings back all the fond memories of a green polyester leisure suit. Hard to imagine him as a valuable celebrity today.

I'm assuming that most everyone chiming in on this issue (including myself) is male.

I can't imagine too many men saying, "Oh great! Donny Osmond has a new radio feature on WXXX!!!"

BUT, most women in their late 30's to early 50's would say, "I LOVED DONNY OSMOND!"

We don't program for ourselves. We program for the listeners. Women rule. Program what they like. The men will follow.

I agree with Stumpy.

These are the same women who rate his 70's hits as "unlistenable" in focus groups.

Radiologist said:
BUT, most women in their late 30's to early 50's would say, "I LOVED DONNY OSMOND!"

We don't program for ourselves. We program for the listeners. Women rule. Program what they like. The men will follow.

My wife is 48 (don't tell her I said that). I'll ask her when she gets home tonight if she wants to hear Donny Osmond. I suspect I will get a really weird look.

Radiologist said:

Not true. You program for the advertisers. They dictate the target market and then you try to deliver them. If the ad community told you tomorrow that 55+ "baby boomers" were the "hot" demo, I'm sure you'd be adding featurettes with Donovan, and not Donny Osmond.

and if they had a brain in their head U'd ignore both of them and just stick to playin the hits ;D

A year ago I found a burnt 70's compilation disc with an Osmonds "metal-hard rock" song called Horses or something like that. I went into the production room during "God Squad" and It was the most absurdly bizarre thing ever. I assure you it will never hit the airwaves on our station. I put a note next to it forewarning programmers not to play it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom