• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does the FCC permit use of a TIS transmitter for STA

Would the FCC permit a Class C AM station with an FM translator to use a AM Travel Information transmitter/antenna under an STA if the AM lost it's lease for it's AM tower?

Is this theoretical, or are you asking this for a situation that's actually happening?

I have seen STA filings in which they used the same make and model of transmitter that is normally used for TISes to get a broadcast station temporarily back on the air. But of course this doesn't necessarily mean it would gain the FCC's approval in every STA filing.

Are transmitters no longer "type accepted" or "type approved"? I thought that as long as your signal met specs (spurs, frequency stability, power, etc) you could do pretty much whatever you wanted.

Are transmitters no longer "type accepted" or "type approved"? I thought that as long as your signal met specs (spurs, frequency stability, power, etc) you could do pretty much whatever you wanted.
Legitimate brands are still type-accepted. It's just that since Chinese transmission gear hit the shores, it's impossible to police the flood of non-type accepted gear being used because it's cheap.

I was involved with a station that tried to revive the AM using a 60 watt TIS Transmitter from a longwire at the studio.. just to see if it was feasible.... and if going higher power would be worth it while we worked on a permanent tower in the lot next to us.

its been DKIYU-AM for several years now

TIS transmitters aren't exactly known for high fidelity. Of course nothing sounds more hideous on AM than those Talking House toys. But TIS is barely a notch above that

It was in the FCC rules that the audio bandwidth of TIS stations cannot exceed 3 kHz -- although I believe a few years ago they changed it to allow up to 5 kHz.
5 kHz? How generous!....SHEESH!

Legitimate brands are still type-accepted. It's just that since Chinese transmission gear hit the shores, it's impossible to police the flood of non-type accepted gear being used because it's cheap.
Guaranteed that many of the new LPFMs that just applied will be using those cheap Chinese transmitters because they’ll think that it’s legal because it’s on Amazon.

Guaranteed that many of the new LPFMs that just applied will be using those cheap Chinese transmitters because they’ll think that it’s legal because it’s on Amazon.
There have been great examples of your comment on this discussion board constantly complaining how his cheap, non-type accepted TX has bitten the dust and how he can't seem to get any manufacturer support. To me, if you aren't able to pay, then don't bother trying to play. The transmitter and antenna are where the rubber meets the road. If you can't even afford decent quality gear, expect your attempt at playing radio to fail.

Back
Top Bottom