• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Disney’s ABC Stations Could Be Bought By Nexstar With “Little Friction” If They Are Sold Off, Company Advisor Tom Carter Says

Not saying it’s going to be a rip-roaring success, but at the very least, Disney sits on a better overall stable of IP, and has a less tumultuous recent history than Paramount and Warner, all things considered. Again, not saying sunshine and unicorns, but there are some meaningful differences.

With ABC's fall 2024 schedule being released this week, it is worth pointing out that there are 0 sitcoms and only 6 scripted shows altogether. Only three nights have scripted shows: Tues., Wed. & Thurs.

So that cost cutting Iger mentions appears to be in swing.

I hear most of that is leftover from the strike(s). The networks and streamers needed to scramble once the strike ended and even then, production didn't wrap up in time to roll out many new shows for 2024 or 2025.

And to think that if Westinghouse had kept that train wreck in Charlotte, WPCQ, it would be the CBS station and WBTV
would probably be with NBC. I don't think that would fly in the Queen City.
I remember talk of WBTV moving to NBC. I guess that has been at least 30 years ago.

WBTV is the only commercial station in the market never to have changed networks.

Looks like Iger is keeping Disney intact
This is more reflective of Bob Iger realizing that he can't sell ABC in anything close to a clean transaction. Disney is stuck with ABC and the owned-stations and likely will have to sell them at a substantial loss by the next decade.

The audience for linear television is vanishing.

With ABC's fall 2024 schedule being released this week, it is worth pointing out that there are 0 sitcoms and only 6 scripted shows altogether. Only three nights have scripted shows: Tues., Wed. & Thurs.

So that cost cutting Iger mentions appears to be in swing.

Wednesday a Comedy at 10:30pm.

The same thing is true down the street at Paramount/CBS.
...and to a smaller extent with Sinclair Broadcast Group. They have a bunch of laggard stations that will probably be a much more difficult task to sell because they can't do a clean transaction.

This is an industry crisis that no amount of deregulation can remedy.

This New York Times article today about the end of Young Sheldon's run (gift link) has an interesting data point, based on Warner Brothers' decision to license the first five seasons of the show to Netflix - with a contrast to the previous median viewing age of the show, which ranged from 57 to 65, according to the article.

The show also struck a chord with viewers under the age of 34, according to Nielsen. Mr. Molaro, the show’s co-creator, said the Netflix bump became apparent to him when the crew was shooting a scene recently near a church in the Studio City neighborhood of Los Angeles. “Young Sheldon” had filmed in that location dozens of times without incident. But this time, roughly five months after the show began streaming on Netflix, it was a vastly different situation.

“There were hundreds of kids at the fence screaming for Wallace Shawn,” he said, referring to the 80-year-old cast member. “We were like, ‘What is happening?’”
(Never watched the show myself.)

Sounds familiar:

We first heard that strategy when AT&T bought Warner Media. It didn't work. It's also how Paramount is managing Paramount +.

Consumers expect content companies to invest billions and give it away for free. This strategy won't work without cutting the price.
Remember this was the same ceo calling the writers and actors "unrealistic" last year and both The Nanny and Walter White themselves Fran Drescher and Bryan Cranston punched him to the gut. Added to the Bob Chapek fiasco and massive losses in streaming, I rather have him resigned and same thing goes to David Zaslav.

BTW Its Big Tech's fault and incompitence isn't alone in Hollywood.

I don't know when that was. KDKA and KPIX were CBS affiliates; WJZ was with ABC. That was long before Westinghouse merged with CBS, at which time KYW and WBZ switched from NBC, and WJZ switched from ABC. That's also when NBC put WBTS on the air in Boston, and ABC took a big hit in Baltimore; it switched to third-place WMAR (part of Scripps' deal to keep WEWS and WXYZ with ABC and a factor in the Westinghouse-CBS deal that switched WJZ.)

So it shook out like this:

Baltimore: WJZ to CBS; WMAR from NBC to ABC; WBAL returns to its original network, NBC
Boston: WBZ to CBS; WHDH from NBC to independent; WBTS goes on the air as an NBC o&o
Philadelphia: KYW from NBC to CBS; WCAU from CBS to NBC
Pittsburgh: no changes
San Francisco: KPIX stays with CBS, but KRON goes from NBC to MyNetwork (and now the CW) and KNTV becomes
an NBC o&o
Your timelines are off.

The Group W affiliation switches happened in 1995–Baltimore and Boston in January, and Philadelphia in September.

The move of NBC in the SF Bay Area, from KRON-TV to KNTV, happened as 2001 turned into 2002.

The second move of NBC in Boston, from WHDH to WBTS, was in 2017.

Last edited:
Actually, I didn't intend to do this chronologically, just show what happened in the markets where Group W had a station. But thanks for the additional information.

Also, re WBTV: I seem to recall it was 1988 that NBC was wooing Channel 3. They even sent Tom Brokaw to try to convince them to switch. We know how it turned out.

Also, re WBTV: I seem to recall it was 1988 that NBC was wooing Channel 3. They even sent Tom Brokaw to try to convince them to switch. We know how it turned out.
I recall reading about that in TV Guide, around the summer of 1987. The same article mentioned NBC attempting to get WRAL-TV in Raleigh to jump networks, when 'RAL had moved to CBS only two years earlier. It eventually happened, albeit 29 years later.

I recall reading about that in TV Guide, around the summer of 1987. The same article mentioned NBC attempting to get WRAL-TV in Raleigh to jump networks, when 'RAL had moved to CBS only two years earlier. It eventually happened, albeit 29 years later.
NBC also tried to get WBTV in 1978 when ABC moved to WSOC. The newly built WJZY actually also made a bid in 1988 when WBTV and WSOC turned them down.

Back
Top Bottom