• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Digital AM coming to 1260

K

KlassikKountry

WAMS goes digital, late Spring, early Summer, I hear the sound will be equivilent to FM, new studios and equipment.

IBOC Hash For The Rest Of Us

KK, Are you downashore or in Wilmington? Even more confusing, your profile says Northeast or South Philly (out of range of the various New Jersey and Delaware stations you post about)?

Whichever, you seem way too interested in this tiny station with a very limited signal (even more limited for HD). Factor the number of people who can get a decent signal by the number who listen to Oldies by the number who have spent upwards of $300 (down from $500) for an HD radio and what you get is a big nobody gives a f*. Meantime, the signal degrades on regular radios.

Which of their discontinued formats are they going to put on the second channel: Standards or Gospel?

> WAMS goes digital, late Spring, early Summer, I hear the
> sound will be equivilent to FM, new studios and equipment.
>

The fewer people listening to a station; the more posts about it on Radio-Info.

Re: IBOC Hash For The Rest Of Us

The result will be another WPEN with a signal too painful to listen to.

By the way, 1260 WAMS NEVER broadcast standards. That was WNRK and the format ended when I left in 1993. After a brief no-listener try at AC, they switched to the equally unnoticed oldies in 1994. Then the station died, was not even given a decent burial. The next owner tryed oldies and then the "format of the week" approach. It was AM1290, WJBR that was standards in 1995.

Actually the audio is so bad now, it sounds like HD. And the coverage area is much smaller than it was during the Gospel experiment. Whatever they are doing now is working, but in the opposit way from how it should be working.

> KK, Are you downashore or in Wilmington? Even more
> confusing, your profile says Northeast or South Philly (out
> of range of the various New Jersey and Delaware stations you
> post about)?
>
> Whichever, you seem way too interested in this tiny station
> with a very limited signal (even more limited for HD).
> Factor the number of people who can get a decent signal by
> the number who listen to Oldies by the number who have spent
> upwards of $300 (down from $500) for an HD radio and what
> you get is a big nobody gives a f*. Meantime, the signal
> degrades on regular radios.
>
> Which of their discontinued formats are they going to put on
> the second channel: Standards or Gospel?
>
> > WAMS goes digital, late Spring, early Summer, I hear the
> > sound will be equivilent to FM, new studios and equipment.
>
> >
>
> The fewer people listening to a station; the more posts
> about it on Radio-Info.
>

What? I listened all day today, and the audio quality beats any other AM station in that area. WNRK NEVER sounded that good, it was always distorted.

I am mostly in South Philly, the WAMS signal comes in relativly good during the day, once and awile some ESPN station bleeds in, but most of the time they are listenable. They were never a catch in my area until this new oldies format started a few weeks ago. I think its a neat little station that plays good oldies, the kind that WOGL should play, I would rather tune them in for the variety than 98.1 anyday. To answer your other question, I am forced to listen to far catches 104.9/94.7/98.5/105.7/103.7/95.1-ZZO/97.5 and 102.5, due to the fact since YSP started to yak there is nothing decent on the Philly dial for my taste, I also listen to XM/MC and DMX. Lets hope the HD receivers come down in price and are more available to the public so there will be more choice on the Free Dial.

> What? I listened all day today, and the audio quality beats
> any other AM station in that area. WNRK NEVER sounded that
> good, it was always distorted.
>
hey hicks, why are you always bashing wams, whats the matter, you sound like a disgruntled ex employee. if you are such a know it all, what dont you put the money up and buy it yourself, and show people how the station should be run. i hear it still could be for sale, if the right offer is made. so stop whining and moaning. show us how a great radio mind like yours can turn this so called loser of a station around, or are you just all talk and no action.

I listen quite often, in the car and at home (can't get it at work), and it sounds great for AM. I even heard a spot for some company in the New Castle area. Yes, that isn't enough to support the station, but it's a start and hopefully is an encouragement to the owner of WAMS that they may be able to make a go of it with local spots. Sure, the national accounts aren't interested, but just maybe he can appeal to enough local businesses to make it work.

> > What? I listened all day today, and the audio quality
> beats
> > any other AM station in that area. WNRK NEVER sounded
> that
> > good, it was always distorted.
> >
> hey hicks, why are you always bashing wams, whats the
> matter, you sound like a disgruntled ex employee. if you
> are such a know it all, what dont you put the money up and
> buy it yourself, and show people how the station should be
> run. i hear it still could be for sale, if the right offer
> is made. so stop whining and moaning. show us how a great
> radio mind like yours can turn this so called loser of a
> station around, or are you just all talk and no action.
>

Spot Load is increasing at WAMS

I was listening on my way home from church and heard several other spots, plus a couple PSA's (which of course don't count). So apparently WAMS is hitting the pavements drumming up some local spots or these businesses are listening on their own and have sought out spots. Either way, that's good for 1260 WAMS.

> I listen quite often, in the car and at home (can't get it
> at work), and it sounds great for AM. I even heard a spot
> for some company in the New Castle area. Yes, that isn't
> enough to support the station, but it's a start and
> hopefully is an encouragement to the owner of WAMS that they
> may be able to make a go of it with local spots. Sure, the
> national accounts aren't interested, but just maybe he can
> appeal to enough local businesses to make it work.

For a minute I thought this thread referred to Trenton. That would really have screwed up listening to WMTR 1250 where I live. What IBOC does to analog signals is a crime.

> WAMS goes digital, late Spring, early Summer, I hear the
> sound will be equivilent to FM, new studios and equipment.

Because I know the industry well enough to know the future of AM music is death. I care about the station because as a native Newarker, I remember the pride our city had when we finally received our own allocation. It was a big deal. A lot has changed since that allocation was received in 1963.

I had the money in 1993 to buy both the license AND the $10 million land it was built on. I could not see it worth the investment then and I certainly can't see it being worth anything now. Frankly, I have neither the financial need nor desire to work that hard to build up a now unneeded radio station. I spent 35 years in broadcasting and have an MBA in economics. I know a bad deal when I see one. And since I have never even met the the post 2001 owner of 1260AM, why would I have any ill-feelings toward him?

I noticed at 5:15 this morning the audio had improved over whaat it was laast week. And you will note that I spoke highly of the audio and signal strength while it was duping the 1600AM station in Dover. The quality was top notch. And I will add that the 1600AM had strength and quality far better than the 1410 CC owned station in Dover.

Before you make personal attacks on a poster such as myself, you may want to check your facts.

> > What? I listened all day today, and the audio quality
> beats
> > any other AM station in that area. WNRK NEVER sounded
> that
> > good, it was always distorted.
> >
> hey hicks, why are you always bashing wams, whats the
> matter, you sound like a disgruntled ex employee. if you
> are such a know it all, what dont you put the money up and
> buy it yourself, and show people how the station should be
> run. i hear it still could be for sale, if the right offer
> is made. so stop whining and moaning. show us how a great
> radio mind like yours can turn this so called loser of a
> station around, or are you just all talk and no action.
>

WAMS = White Elephant

Jim, your posts are well-thought-out, well-informed and insightful. Pay no attention to anyone who is incapable of using a "shift" key. Your observations need no defense, especially to someone who can't come up with anything more original than the "disgruntled ex-employee" attack line. Getting smart is what this individual needs to do.

Ironically, last September, Mr. Smart posted:
wams for sale????????
a friend told me that wams is back up for sale. is it up for sale and who would be interested in buying it anyway,

In answer to Smart's earlier question: (1) No radio person in their right mind. (2) Somebody with money who wants a hobby. Even a religious broadcaster or infomercial broker would have to be stupid or desperate to touch it.

However, after reading "Smart's" posts I am starting to wonder if maybe "No Child Left Behind" wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Re: WAMS = White Elephant

> Jim, your posts are well-thought-out, well-informed and
> insightful. Pay no attention to anyone who is incapable of
> using a "shift" key. Your observations need no defense,
> especially to someone who can't come up with anything more
> original than the "disgruntled ex-employee" attack line.
> Getting smart is what this individual needs to do.
>
> Ironically, last September, Mr. Smart posted:
> wams for sale????????
> a friend told me that wams is back up for sale. is it up for
> sale and who would be interested in buying it anyway,
>
Oh yeah, I forgot we were getting graded on our typing skills. Im sorry i dont have such a boring life as yours where i can take the time to type using the shift key. for your information, since i lost one of my hands due to an accident at my job, its much easier to type this way. so before you make any comments about other people please know what you are talking about. if you go back and check hicks posts, most of them are negative about wams, and that is a fact. i never said that they were not well thought out, not well informed or not insightful, i just said they were negative, and if he could do better why doesnt he. by the way, thanks for the typing tip.
>

Re: WAMS = White Elephant

Please note that my comments have been entirely positive since they switched to Gospel, a format I do not particularly care for. I questioned the wisdom of running a format that faced so much local competition. They showed wisdom in switching to oldies once WPPZ picked up an audience in the Wilmington market. And they certainly did give the Gospel format time to work.

Last week, I had questioned why the audio had lost the quality and why coverage had been reduced. Mike and I noticed that once they went to the bird, audio quality went back to the Gospel days. I also questioned a move to HD, as I do for any of the few AM stations still airing music. I know only a few people listen to AM in stereo. But the fact is AM stereo sounds better than mono and much better than HD, regardless of the receiver. You do lose some coverage area, but when you are fighting against FM, you need the best quality your audio equipment can supply. On AM, HD is not that quality, even on talk stations.

I also question any station that changes format frequently. Listeners tend to tune you out forever because they cannot depend on you for content. There was a period when WAMS changed formats every couple of weeks. That is not being negative. That is simply pointing out common business knowledge. You must establish a business brand and stake out your territory. If you fail to do that, you are setting yourself up for failure. Tweak a format? Certainly. That is often necessary. If one of my favorite eateries is a steak house one week, a seafood place two weeks later and a veggie joint two weeks after that, I will not be back.

> > Jim, your posts are well-thought-out, well-informed and
> > insightful. Pay no attention to anyone who is incapable
> of
> > using a "shift" key. Your observations need no defense,
> > especially to someone who can't come up with anything more
>
> > original than the "disgruntled ex-employee" attack line.
> > Getting smart is what this individual needs to do.
> >
> > Ironically, last September, Mr. Smart posted:
> > wams for sale????????
> > a friend told me that wams is back up for sale. is it up
> for
> > sale and who would be interested in buying it anyway,
> >
> Oh yeah, I forgot we were getting graded on our typing
> skills. Im sorry i dont have such a boring life as yours
> where i can take the time to type using the shift key. for
> your information, since i lost one of my hands due to an
> accident at my job, its much easier to type this way. so
> before you make any comments about other people please know
> what you are talking about. if you go back and check hicks
> posts, most of them are negative about wams, and that is a
> fact. i never said that they were not well thought out, not
> well informed or not insightful, i just said they were
> negative, and if he could do better why doesnt he. by the
> way, thanks for the typing tip.
> >
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom