• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Depressing

Throwing in a random comment changing the focus from the discussion to an opinion about what you think I am doing is unpersuasive.

To simplify and clarify: Radio revenues, as defined by those on this board who have been arguing that digital isn't radio, are shrinking. It's share of advertising is dropping because advertising dollars continue to grow. My hypothesis is that one of the most significant reasons is that buyers, not just radio buyers but the larger universe of advertising buyers, know the ratings system is not reliable.

The very reason that digital is attractive to to traditional radio companies is that it is growing and one reason it is growing is that there is a high degree of confidence among advertisers in digital audience measurement.

My original coments was that radio ratings poor ratings measurement system was hurting sales. The rejoinder was that radio revenue is increasing but no mention of digital was included. Now that it is acknowledged that broadcast radio revenue is declining and that digital is required to keep even its meager increases going, we seem to have reached agreement.

The revenue issue is not a negative if you consider, as nearly every significant player does, that radio is not in the AM and FM business but in the content business. The fact that a growing percentage of revenue is not coming from the OTA side proves that radio broadcasters are making progress towards the eventual conversion of all revenue to the digital platform. And when they do, it'll still be "radio".

The larger declines in radio seem to be in the medium markets where there is less agency business and the dependency on local direct is high. The recession killed off even more local independent retailers, so the direct revenue is difficult to maintain.

National agency spend levels have been erratic, but the larger markets that are mostly agency driven have suffered less due to the recession and changes in ad buys. And in the larger markets, stations and station groups have bundled local media such as digital and radio and events and even TV quite successfully.

And it's the agency driven markets that use ratings. So your connection of lower revenues with lack of confidence in ratings does not have any evidence as the clients using ratings also use Nielsen for TV and other measurements and have enormous confidence in the Nielsen brand. The fact that the agencies have the MRC to audit and a approve electronic media ratings is not lost on the broad buying community.

Radio ratings have followed the same concept since Crossley entered the field over 80 years ago: take a small, carefully selected, sample of listeners and project it into the total market being measured. Initially, as radio's major competitor was magazines (Collier's, Life, Look and such) ratings were national and there was no local measurement. After W.W. II and with the advent of TV, ratings transitioned to local as all the new independent radio stations began to compete with the local newspapers as well as the new TV stations.

When Arbitron, in 1970, developed the national sweep periods that allowed side by side comparison of all the major markets, the transition to radio as a totally local medium was complete. And that is where we are today with local media. That's why Pandora, even in its national scope, has opened sales offices in the larger markets... to compete for local dollars.

Which brings this to the real issue: as content becomes platform independent, a unified measurement of OTA, mobile and other new media usage is what advertisers want. And that is what Nielsen has announced as their immediate goal. The "session starts" and "concurrent sessions" measurement of mobile and streaming is a deficient measurement as it does not match the cume-AQH model used to buy TV and radio.

Banners and targeted web ads are the replacement for newspapers. Streaming is the alternative for OTA radio usage, and the measurements will soon be wrapped up in one Nielsen product. And that is because Nielsen has the credibility and the capacity to do it.

I just clicked on the original post to see just how far this thread drifted. Ha ha... pretty far. Another day in another thread gentlemen.

I just clicked on the original post to see just how far this thread drifted. Ha ha... pretty far. Another day in another thread gentlemen.

You say that after your idea that lack of confidence in ratings as a cause for "declining" revenue has been debunked.

Salty - jump back in on this discussion. I think this is one of the BEST threads in years. Interesting and insightful observations. David and/or BigA - can you elaborate on the online listening patterns in large and medium markets, "who" is listening online (age groups are surprising us) and how and when the measurements will provide better info? I have seen the online listening numbers for some time now and they are growing. Pandora and others are indeed reaching into the local markets and doing some smart and creative advertising. For the heck of it, since this is /was a discussion on Miami radio, is there enough accessible data to compare OTA audiences listening patterns to online and "look not the future?"

You say that after your idea that lack of confidence in ratings as a cause for "declining" revenue has been debunked.
I was attempting to end this thread in gentlemanly fashion. Declaring yourself the "winner" is so immature I don't even know what to say to you. While you were engaging in an argument, I was having a conversation. Or at least I was trying to.

Last edited:
Salty - jump back in on this discussion. I think this is one of the BEST threads in years. Interesting and insightful observations.
Thanks, Tibbs2. I really think that restarting this in a new thread is the better way to go. Not today though.

I was attempting to end this thread in gentlemanly fashion. Declaring yourself the "winner" is so immature I don't even know what to say to you. While you were engaging in an argument, I was having a conversation. Or at least I was trying to.

This is not about winning or losing. It is about whether there is low confidence in radio ratings and whether such a situation would be affecting sales.

My contention is that your initial premise is wrong. There is no significant lack of confidence at the buyer side in Nielsen's products. In fact, Inside Radio today has an article about how agency interest in radio is on the increase.

Here is a "fair use" extract from Inside Radio's website:

"Survey: Agency buyers more upbeat about radio.
The number of ad agencies who say radio is the media their clients are most interested in hit a two-year high, according to a new quarterly survey by ad buying service Strata. Polled during the second quarter, 13% of agencies selected spot radio as the media receiving the most interest among their customers, up 32% from a year ago. As in past surveys, radio trailed only spot TV/cable and the internet/digital among the seven media tracked by Strata
"

The article goes on to say that radio is "easier to buy". That would include the key agency buying criteria, with is metrics.

I understand he's there, I listen to him too...but I'm sorry it's just not the same. I am a radio guy, born in a transmitter and live on the airwaves. I just can't wrap my love into internet radio, it makes me depressed

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom