• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Denver observations

A summary of some general observations regarding radio in my new home.

Positives - Three AAA stations on FM. Good jazz on KUVO. Decent classical on KVOD (CPR). Some really quirky stations, too, including one from Crawford, of all outfits, KLVZ, AM HD+FM translator that ranges from Sinatra to Bachman-Turner Overdrive. Christian KPOF ("Pillar of Fire", what a name!), also in AM HD, can be interesting at times.

Negatives - Not much true "college radio". No all-news station. Too much sports. Too many right-wing talk stations. KOA is a particular waste of 50,000 watts. It gives you no sense at all of what's going on in Denver. (Neither does Colorado Public Radio, for different reasons.) Morning news block is superficial rip-and-read. Talk shows are obsessed with transgender issues in a hateful way. Sports programming occupies most of the afternoon. What a mess. KOA should be a heritage station but instead is junk.

Some observations of your observations

College Radio - What do you think KGNU is?? It's about as close to College Radio as you're going to see here

All News Radio - Do you realize you're making observations about Radio in the #18 Media Market in the country?? It ain't like we're talking about New York (WCBS & WINS) or Los Angeles (KNX) here (Even chicago doesn't have an All News station)

Sports Radio - When you throw in the needless KQKS 107,5-HD3 (SportsMap affiliate Mile High Sports Radio), we do have too many sports talk stations. But when you consider all the Right Wing Talk Radio there is on AM here, it's little wonder why 950, 1430 & 1600 are all sports talkers along with 92.5 & 104.3 because NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK (KOA is just a part time sports talker & only has broadcast rights to the Broncos, Rockies & Buffaloes (Which of course is simulcast on 94,1 as is with all KOA programming)

Everyone else is heard on the sports talkers

What I'd like to see someone try in Denver is a Yacht Rock formatted station but WITH local DJ's. Why?? Because this would go after just about ALL the music stations in some form

But the question is WHERE to put it on the dial

I'm thinking the only place it can go without being put on some pea shooting translator somewhere would be 94.7. If Salem were to upgrade the transmitter, move it to another frequency and/or transmatter site or sell to someone like Audacy (For example who BTW doesn't have a Yacht Rock station on its app like iHeartRadio, Pandora & Sirius XM do), that would be cool. The HD2 could have the same format but jockless

College Radio - What do you think KGNU is?? It's about as close to College Radio as you're going to see here
I consider KGNU to be an open-access, Pacifica-type station. On FM, it has relatively weak signals in Denver. The translator isn't that effective (and I live in Denver proper). The AM in Denver also undermodulates badly. Somebody get them an Optimod-AM.

KVCU in Boulder (an AM) comes closest, but it has a surprisingly weak signal in Denver. This morning it even appears to be off the air.
All News Radio - Do you realize you're making observations about Radio in the #18 Media Market in the country?? It ain't like we're talking about New York (WCBS & WINS) or Los Angeles (KNX) here (Even chicago doesn't have an All News station)
WBBM is considered all-news except for sports PBP. I used to live in Chicago and am quite familiar with WBBM.

I know what it takes to run an all-news station. I used to work at one. I realize all-news is very unlikely here, but a station with the reach of KOA could step up to the plate and do better than rip-and-read and talk shows that just try to amp up the Fox "News" audience. You get no sense of Denver from listening to KOA, or any of the other local talk stations. It would be a welcome change to have shows that cover local affairs instead of appealing to angry gun-shop owners in Arvada or wherever. KMBZ in Kansas City could be a model, with a mix of news blocks and talk that isn't hyperpolitical. Or there's KFBK in Sacramento, which has reasonably credible morning and afternoon news blocks. That approach certainly would be workable in Denver - note that my examples are in smaller markets. I realize this is a sports-crazy area - which seems more like unrequited passion recently - but at some point sports-talk reaches saturation and I think we're there.

(Edited to clarify a sentence that first read as contradictory.)
What I'd like to see someone try in Denver is a Yacht Rock formatted station but WITH local DJ's. Why?? Because this would go after just about ALL the music stations in some form

Given that KLVZ (810/95.3) today seems to be programmed by a 75-year-old with really eclectic taste to fill in the blanks between infomercials, and that I think yacht rock would have 55+ appeal, just wait a few years.

Last edited:
I know what it takes to run an all-news station. I used to work at one. I realize all-news is very unlikely here, but a station with the reach of KOA could step up to the plate and do better than rip-and-read and talk shows that just try to amp up the Fox "News" audience. You get no sense of Denver from listening to KOA, or any of the other local talk stations. It would be a welcome change to have shows that cover local affairs instead of appealing to angry gun-shop owners in Arvada or wherever. KMBZ in Kansas City could be a model, with a mix of news blocks and talk that isn't hyperpolitical. Or there's KFBK in Sacramento, which has reasonably credible morning and afternoon news blocks. That approach certainly would be workable in Denver - note that my examples are in smaller markets. I realize this is a sports-crazy area - which seems more like unrequited passion recently - but at some point sports-talk reaches saturation and I think we're there.
I think back to the news/talk of the 90s before everyone just started clearing Rush and Rush soundalikes. Every town had a talk station that was super local and not necessarily political. But that's expensive, and it's far cheaper to do a local morning show and right wing talk off the bird the rest of the day.

Then we had Hot Talk and Sports Talk, which have pretty much morphed into the same thing and that's where men under 55 tend to go for spoken word programming.

When I punch into pretty much any talk radio station today that's built around politics, it's like they're on another planet. I can't relate to any of those people. When I punch into the local sports shows, they're talking about things I understand.

But good, local talk radio costs money to produce... local news costs money to produce... and so you get today's radio, which due to revenues being what they are, is done on the cheap.

KHOW is local news/talk all day, but the only show of theirs I listen to is Tom Martino via podcast. When he doesn’t get into politics and just talks to callers who are having problems with their landlord, phone service, etc. and helps them, it’s great. But when he starts ripping the mayor and talking about how Colorado is “turning into California”, I just skip over that stuff. I have no Idea what their news coverage is like, though it probably has a right/conservative bend. I used to stream the station to listen to Martino’s show live about 15 years ago (before the station podcast it) and back then I don’t remember politics being part of the show or station at all.

KHOW is local news/talk all day, but the only show of theirs I listen to is Tom Martino via podcast. When he doesn’t get into politics and just talks to callers who are having problems with their landlord, phone service, etc. and helps them, it’s great. But when he starts ripping the mayor and talking about how Colorado is “turning into California”, I just skip over that stuff. I have no Idea what their news coverage is like, though it probably has a right/conservative bend. I used to stream the station to listen to Martino’s show live about 15 years ago (before the station podcast it) and back then I don’t remember politics being part of the show or station at all.
Martino is fairly entertaining, though he can be overbearing with callers - and with his expert guests - at times. He's also been fairly good at being empathetic with callers and their problems. But he's best in small doses.

KHOW is part of the iHeart cluster, and has the same deficiencies in local news as KOA. It does run ABC network news.

For those who complain that "Colorado is turning into California", pfffffft. They don't know how good they have it.

For being so against California, Tom sure goes there a lot and mentions how expensive it is. He’s like the people in the 80’s and 90’s who claimed to hate Stern, but always knew what Bababooey did that day on the show.

For being so against California, Tom sure goes there a lot and mentions how expensive it is. He’s like the people in the 80’s and 90’s who claimed to hate Stern, but always knew what Bababooey did that day on the show.

I mean, we have our reasons for leaving, but don't regret having lived there for 24 years. I went farther in my career than I ever could have gone in Kansas City or even Chicago. But it's gotten very, very crowded, and, in some ways, loved to death.

Sports Radio - When you throw in the needless KQKS 107,5-HD3 (SportsMap affiliate Mile High Sports Radio), we do have too many sports talk stations. But when you consider all the Right Wing Talk Radio there is on AM here, it's little wonder why 950, 1430 & 1600 are all sports talkers along with 92.5 & 104.3 because NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK (KOA is just a part time sports talker & only has broadcast rights to the Broncos, Rockies & Buffaloes (Which of course is simulcast on 94,1 as is with all KOA programming)

Everyone else is heard on the sports talkers

I'm thinking the only place it can go without being put on some pea shooting translator somewhere would be 94.7. If Salem were to upgrade the transmitter, move it to another frequency and/or transmatter site or sell to someone like Audacy (For example who BTW doesn't have a Yacht Rock station on its app like iHeartRadio, Pandora & Sirius XM do), that would be cool. The HD2 could have the same format but jockless

I consider KGNU to be an open-access, Pacifica-type station. On FM, it has relatively weak signals in Denver. The translator isn't that effective (and I live in Denver proper). The AM in Denver also undermodulates badly. Somebody get them an Optimod-AM.

KVCU in Boulder (an AM) comes closest, but it has a surprisingly weak signal in Denver. This morning it even appears to be off the air.

WBBM is considered all-news except for sports PBP. I used to live in Chicago and am quite familiar with WBBM.

Given that KLVZ (810/95.3) today seems to be programmed by a 75-year-old with really eclectic taste to fill in the blanks between infomercials, and that I think yacht rock would have 55+ appeal, just wait a few years.

Yeah KGNU is more of an open access station primarily on FM but at least it's on the air (Unlike KVCU). And, as you noted, because WBBM airs live sports, it's not the All News station that KNX & WINS are (Those are ALL news. Nothing else)

And I had no idea KLVZ was on 95.3, But knowing that, Salem really no other option but to either upgrade 94.7 by upgrading the equipment & moving the transmitter to a new site, sell the station to someone like Audacity or take the station off the air as being a Godcasting talker just doesn't cut it on FM

Salem has a Classic Jits station in Hawaii (KKOL "Decades" 107.9) so it wouldn't be the first time they've done this. But in order for it to fly here in Denver, it would have to take a Yacht Rock twist

If they sell it to Audacy, they'll just simply make it an FM extension of KAMP AM 1430 The Bet, only it would be an exclusive CBS Sports Radio affiliate when it's not running local shows & it would carry takeover Mile High Sports Radio branding from KQKS 107.5 HD3 (Which would go silent) while AM 1430 carries nothing but the BetQL Network when it's not carrying CBS Sports Radio overnights & on the weekends

Audacy could turn 94.7 into a Yacht Rock station too with the HD1 signal being with jocks & a seperate HD2 signal being without jocks as I said before but knowing Audacy, they would likely not do this

Yeah KGNU is more of an open access station primarily on FM but at least it's on the air (Unlike KVCU).
KVCU has been on the air other days, though barely receivable at my location. I didn't check for it today.

And, as you noted, because WBBM airs live sports, it's not the All News station that KNX & WINS are (Those are ALL news. Nothing else)
Other than a few PBP sports, WBBM is considered all-news and is generally categorized as such in the industry.

And I had no idea KLVZ was on 95.3, But knowing that, Salem really no other option but to either upgrade 94.7 by upgrading the equipment & moving the transmitter to a new site, sell the station to someone like Audacity or take the station off the air as being a Godcasting talker just doesn't cut it on FM

Crawford owns KLVZ and its translator. Salem owns 94.7. I'm not sure what you mean by "option" - Salem's shtick is either religious or selling time for infomercials. Crawford often is similar, but has been willing to try music formats.

Audacy is in no condition to be buying anything right now, especially a large-market FM that has good coverage of the market.

Salem has a Classic Jits station in Hawaii (KKOL "Decades" 107.9) so it wouldn't be the first time they've done this. But in order for it to fly here in Denver, it would have to take a Yacht Rock twist
During the actual time that yacht rock was kind of a thing, I was living elsewhere, but can say that only one station I knew of actually played something like that, and they called themselves "The Natural Sound". (For St. Louisans, I'm referring to 93.7 KCFM.)

(Edit: removed last quote. I'm doing this on the road from my laptop, whose touchpad is kind of touchy.)

Audacy is in no condition to be buying anything right now, especially a large-market FM that has good coverage of the market.
That's funny as they own 99.5, 105.9 & 107.5 + the 103.1 translator & AM 1430 The Bet here in Denver as well as the entire old CBS/Infinity Broadcasting cluster (Which has some of the best stations in the country)

Not bad for a company which (As you put it) is in "No condition" to be buying anything right now. Afterall, it ain't like what I suggested would put them over the limit

That's funny as they own 99.5, 105.9 & 107.5 + the 103.1 translator & AM 1430 The Bet here in Denver as well as the entire old CBS/Infinity Broadcasting cluster (Which has some of the best stations in the country)

Not bad for a company which (As you put it) is in "No condition" to be buying anything right now. Afterall, it ain't like what I suggested would put them over the limit
Perhaps this is why? Assets you currently own does not put you in position to just be able to add more.

Back
Top Bottom