• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Crawford Broadcasting Now Streaming KAAM

O

OldiesJock

As a former jock/PD, I've been fascinated by the Crawford "Legends" format. It's certainly onf ot eh most ecclectic I've heard. One minute they're plaing "The Stars and Stripes Forver", then Orleans' "Still the One" and later Louis Prima and Keely Smith...all coupled with some sixties sounding jingles.
Pretty strange. It actually performs better at their Rochester station. Does anyone know who created the format or is responsible for programming it?

I actually enjoy listening on line, since you never know what you're going to hear next.

> As a former jock/PD, I've been fascinated by the Crawford
> "Legends" format. It's certainly onf ot eh most ecclectic
> I've heard.

> Pretty strange. It actually performs better at their
> Rochester station. Does anyone know who created the format
> or is responsible for programming it?
>
I'm willing to guess that it's in house, probably a combination of Jaan Mccoy and behind the scenes guru Bill McCormick. The format was on several other Crawford AM stations too for a time. Yeah. it train wrecks every so often though I find that it's a little more consistant after 7 PM through the night. They go auto pilot at 10 PM.

I would think that Rochester would do better, smaller, traditional market with an older population, also less of a country music influence. They're supposed to start streaming the Rochester station in the near future, it'll be intereesting to compare.

Two of my favorite nostalgia music portals on the web, www.redontheweb.com out of St. Louis and www.kzqx.com from east Texas. They are particularly good and don't play any of the 70's soft rock that mucks up the format.

> Two of my favorite nostalgia music portals on the web,
> www.redontheweb.com out of St. Louis and www.kzqx.com from
> east Texas. They are particularly good and don't play any
> of the 70's soft rock that mucks up the format.
>

Thanks for the compliment. You're right, you won't hear any soft rock on KZQX. It is a totally home grown format. We're not prefect by any means, but we try to do the best we can with what we have. For a community LPFM station run entirely by volunteers, we seem to have a lot of listeners around the world. Whooda thunk it!

Chuck

Re: 1570

When I'm in the mood for Adult Standards, I've been flipping over to 1570 AM recently. I think you have to be on the east side of Dallas to pick it up. Plus, forget about listening after dark... there's a Spanish station that powers up after sunset on that frequency.

Where 1570 trumps 770 is in audio quality. 1570 still seems to be broadcasting at between 7.5 and 10 kHz of bandwidth, so the fidelity is nice.

Re: 1570

> When I'm in the mood for Adult Standards, I've been flipping
> over to 1570 AM recently. I think you have to be on the
> east side of Dallas to pick it up. Plus, forget about
> listening after dark... there's a Spanish station that
> powers up after sunset on that frequency.
>
> Where 1570 trumps 770 is in audio quality. 1570 still seems
> to be broadcasting at between 7.5 and 10 kHz of bandwidth,
> so the fidelity is nice.
>
You should hear them on the weekend. The programming is very dated BUT it serves the community VERY VERY well.

KAAM IBOC, sooner than you think

> Where 1570 trumps 770 is in audio quality. 1570 still seems
> to be broadcasting at between 7.5 and 10 kHz of bandwidth,
> so the fidelity is nice.
>

According to the Crawford Engineering Newsletter (The Local Oscillator) KAAM was supposed to take delivery of their IBOC gear today. Install should be a snap as their Nautel is new and ready for IBOC.

I have heard some of the train wrecks. WLGZ just went from a squeaky big band version of "It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing" into "Shake Rattle and Roll" by Bill Haley to "Key Largo" from Bertie Higgins.
On KAAM the afternoon guy put on this German accent and played opera the other day... I would have been on the hot line in seconds flat on that one.
It went on and on........ I don't know how much, if any, choice the jocks are given. I would assume they probably use some type of rotation software. If so,they need to look at some of the segues.

> I have heard some of the train wrecks. WLGZ just went from a
> squeaky big band version of "It Don't Mean A Thing If It
> Ain't Got That Swing" into "Shake Rattle and Roll" by Bill
> Haley to "Key Largo" from Bertie Higgins.
> On KAAM the afternoon guy put on this German accent and
> played opera the other day... I would have been on the hot
> line in seconds flat on that one.
> It went on and on........ I don't know how much, if any,
> choice the jocks are given. I would assume they probably use
> some type of rotation software. If so,they need to look at
> some of the segues.
>
KAAM- During the weekdays at 12 noon and lasting for approx.15-20 min.they do a sponsored show called the "Flag Wavers special".It is filled with all sorts of Patriotic tunes and recorded speaches.It is hosted by Jack Davis. Herman Brockleman is the "German acent" you've heard and he has been affiliated with KAAM on its old 620 and 1310 freq.for many years.He is given a free reign on his show.Many of the evening and and afternoon hosts rotate. Very seldom does one work a straight mon-friday shift.The announcers have a free hand on what they play as long as it conforms to their "adult standards" .The Carpenters, Kenny G.,etc fall in that catagory.Personally I feel they should stick with the Big Bands and"Rat Pack"era.

Thats what I like about KAAM A little bit of everything! Now off topic, hey KZQX, hows it going with the WFAA cruiser?

> Thats what I like about KAAM A little bit of everything! Now
> off topic, hey KZQX, hows it going with the WFAA cruiser?
>
I still have a ton to do to it, but I've made some progress. It is actually running! It drives fairly well, but it will never win the land speed record. You have to be patient while accelerating.

I've also met some people who worked on it in the early 1950's, one of whom even lives in East Texas. A couple of people have donated vintage electronics for it as well.

I've set up a web site for it, so anyone can look to see what we're doing. You can see it at www.telecruiser.com . Hopefully in the next few days, I'll update the site with some vintage pictures that everyone will enjoy. I also plan to rearrange the site so it will download faster, or at least easier.

Thanks for asking.

Chuck

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom