• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cowboys off KLUV???

Re: Hooray and about time!

I believe the Cowboys were only on KFWD for a couple of months in Aug-Sept 1978 until the call letter change to KTXQ in October. Nice to finally hear the 'Pokes in stereo back then! KRLD had them through the 1977 season.

Yeah, I believe Sham and company work for "The Dallas Cowboys Radio Network." And their chief producer/sound quality technician/gopher Ron Chapman is no longer part of the picture (and I'm sure this season's broadcasts suffered some over the loss.) For whatever reason, Chapman made himself an integral part of the Cowboys broadcasts behind the scenes, and was just as driven and incorrigible about them as he was his own radio show.

I'd guess that KZPS will get the games. For one, Jack Lindstrom is one of the few sports-intensive anchors on any music station in the area (he's still there, right?) Next, Clear Channel THOUGHT classic rock listeners were into the NASCAR scene when they inflicted John Boy and Billy on us a few years back, and I'm sure the '25-49 male demo' is still on their minds. And I'd guess that Brad Sham would get some satisfaction about being back on the old KRLD-92.5. While it might make sense to draw in younger listeners by putting the Cowboys on KDGE, I can't see that happening. The tried-and-true older male demo at 92.5 is a much safer bet for CC.

You can probably rule out anything to do with Susquehanna or ABC. With ABC for sale, the Cowboys would be a huge charge against the bottom line, and I'm sure Jerry wouldn't find KESN's poor signal to be acceptable. And with Cumulus being a cut-rate ripoff of Susquehanna (if that's even possible,) they just won't invest the money. Besides that, Jerry's used to playing ball with REAL contenders. Li'l ol' Susquehanna's not part of the big leagues and never will be.

Overall, this looks to be yet another cost-cutting move on the part of the new CBS Radio. Wonder if the Rangers will be the next to be cut? That's a big chunk-o'-change to save since shareholder value is the ONLY concern these days. Bet that Laufenberg and others at KTVT are not happy about this, but the TV stations are in a different division of CBS now. If KLUV was only breaking even, I'm sure the Cowboys' presence on there all this time was more of a pride thing (and having the Rangers locked in as well,) but pride don't pay the bills, as the beancounters would say.

> As I sit here and read this thread, I am wondering the same
> thing as everyone else.. where to put the Cowboy Broadcast.
> Though if Jerry was smart.. what he would do is control the
> NETWORK and place it on a station that will carry on his
> wishes as to program around his product. That includes
> weekday shows out on the town, and make all his players
> visable. HOWEVER... with that said.. we all know that Bill
> Parcells puts a pretty heavy clamp down on players and
> coaches that talk to the media or for that matter Joe Fan.
>
> With that said... KZPS has some merrit or they could move it
> back to one of the orginal homes of the Cowboys back in the
> early 70's when it was KFWD 102.1 FM.. (long before Q102)--
> when Bill Mercer was the Play by Play voice in those days.
> Why Not the EDGE? good signal, and with their hard edge
> format, brings younger ears to the games and on Monday
> Morning the station is locked on! Could bring in something
> for CC on that end.
>
> Someone said that Christy Scales and Brad Sham would loose
> their gigs with this shake up, I don't think so. Jones knows
> what SHAM is to the Cowboys, I don't think he would loose
> him, and Scales, well IF she wanted to move to another
> broadcast team, she could name her price, but I think her
> roots are here in Dallas, and this is where she would rather
> be! I would think, (and again this is just opinion) That
> Brad and crew would stick together... they are property of
> Jerry and the Cowboys, and stations just have them on loan
> for their reports and other things that they offer to a
> station.. but their paycheck is written on the Cowboys Bank
> Account!
>
> Who ever gets the Cowboys, they have 7 months to get this in
> gear and promoted.. because COME JULY.. this starts all over
> again with Summer Camp and Pre-Season... its going to be
> interesting to say the least..
>
> Just a thought!
>
>
> > > > Since when do people that listen to oldies give a ____
>
> > > about
> > > > stank old football? I'm glad I won't have to tune to
> > KXEZ
> > >
> > > > any more to hear music when the cowboys are playing.
> > > >
> > > D magazine is right however. What Jerry wants in terms
> of
> > > cash is obscene. I still wouldn't rule out the Ticket or
>
> > > KESN,though the arguments against both are quite good.
> > > Jerry is not predictable,and could surprise us by
> putting
> > it
> > > on anything from KLTY to a Spanish station as long he
> get$
> >
> > > hi$ Buck$.
> > >
> >
> > I have it on pretty good authority that CC came into the
> > picture in some form at the last minute.
> >
> > It was a break-even proposition at best for KLUV.
> >
>

Craig Zurek

Any word on what will happen to Craig Zurek who has headed up radio advertising sales for the Cowboys for many years?

Oh, and speak up. Craig's a little hard of hearing (from the sound of the cash register ringing in his ears).

> >
>
> I have it on pretty good authority that CC came into the
> picture in some form at the last minute.
>
>

This wasn't a last minute thing for CC. They have
been working on this for KZPS for a long time now.

Jerry made the mistake of letting Sham leave once, I don't think he'll let it happen again. Assuming Laufenberg is out, what are the chances of Dale Hansen being re-hired as analyst?

> Jerry made the mistake of letting Sham leave once, I don't
> think he'll let it happen again. Assuming Laufenberg is out,
> what are the chances of Dale Hansen being re-hired as
> analyst?
>
The only thing that made Brad palatable was having someone like Hansen keeping it light, fun, and exciting. You truly NEVER knew what Dale was going to say, much like Cosell, it gave people other than X and O types something to listen for. That's been gone since he left. That, plus Dale wasn't afraid of Brad either.

> I believe the Cowboys were only on KFWD for a couple of
> months in Aug-Sept 1978 until the call letter change to KTXQ
> in October. Nice to finally hear the 'Pokes in stereo back
> then! KRLD had them through the 1977 season.

The Cowboys were on 102.1...but as an affiliate of Mutual (your network for news and sports!). Mutual wanted to establish a southwest regional network and as a carrot for stations to sign up they wound up with Cowboy distribution rights for a couple of years. KRLD remained the flagship, 102.1 just carried the feed in mono. BTW Mutual leased space at 4141 Office Parkway, former home of PAMS.
>
> Yeah, I believe Sham and company work for "The Dallas
> Cowboys Radio Network." And their chief producer/sound
> quality technician/gopher Ron Chapman is no longer part of
> the picture (and I'm sure this season's broadcasts suffered
> some over the loss.)

Nope, the games didn't suffer a bit. The drill has been well rehearsed for years and the crew had been together for several years. They were total pros.
>
> Overall, this looks to be yet another cost-cutting move on
> the part of the new CBS Radio. Wonder if the Rangers will
> be the next to be cut? That's a big chunk-o'-change to save
> since shareholder value is the ONLY concern these days.

Paying a reported 8 million annually when you can only bill 2, maybe 3 million?
That's not cost cutting, that's common sense. As the Cowboys fortunes go, so does that of who ever has the radio rights. Infinity strapped that deal on their stations, like it or not. CBS Radio also holds rights in Washington, which they are not renewing, Boston, New York, Philly, Chicago and I believe Houston.

Play by play sports can make money, but not when expenses overrun revenues....remember Dallas is not a traditional market like Chicago, New York or Boston, it's not going to do as well here as it does elsewhere.

> I would think, (and again this is just opinion) That
> Brad and crew would stick together... they are property of
> Jerry and the Cowboys, and stations just have them on loan
> for their reports and other things that they offer to a
> station.. but their paycheck is written on the Cowboys Bank
> Account!

On that last part about paychecks, you are very misinformed. Everyone involved in the radio broadcasts was paid by Infinity Broadcasting for their radio duties, either as an employee or via a contract. Granted, some of those same folks also did double duty by working for the Cowboys broadcasting department. Brad and Babe both hosted television shows regularly, and those services were indeed paid for directly by the Cowboys organization.

Yes, hopefully the entire crew will be back when all the dust settles. Right now though, most everyone will be without employment and income, beginning Sunday.

And is it possible Dale might return? Possibly, but everyone up and down the food chain sure likes Babe lots. The "official" station of the Dallas Cowboys is KTVT. Babe is Sports Director there. It would be a difficult thing to make such a change. One thing known for sure is that Dale would be delighted to return.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom