• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Country on WXBK HD-2

WXBK-HD2 showing up in the latest PPM with a 0.2. It's disappointing to see such a poor showing considering they actually seem to be trying to put something into this channel.

Yes, Country is challenged in NYC and HD Radio is challenged overall, but it's still a staple FM radio format that's not available on a regular station in the #1 market. 0.2 is pretty bad for having the format to yourself just because it's on an HD2.
The HD feature in car radios is very much underutilized. It's not something a salesperson at a dealership would brag about on a test drive because (a) it makes no extra money for the dealership and (b) the salesperson most likely doesn't know what it is or use it personally. Country music isn't going to move the Nielsen needle in perhaps the nation's most country-hostile market until it's back on a signal the average non-radio-geek knows how to tune in.

0.2 is pretty bad for having the format to yourself just because it's on an HD2.
It was .3 a couple of months ago. That was the highest rating I've ever seen for a local HD station. The HD signal may improve somewhat once the project of moving the transmitter closer to New York is completed.
As an HD2, I don't expect the station to become a major player. But it could be profitable, given the limited expense. As I've mentioned previously, they do have at least one steady sponsor.
Numerous other cities have "real" local stations on HD. I believe this the first in this market, at least in English. I think even those among us who are not Country fans should be pleased if it succeeds, as it could lead to new HD stations that are more interesting than the mostly automated ones currently available.

HD is the problem, and will continue to be the problem for years, even it comes standard in every vehicle. It's a geek medium right now, and has been from Day 1. The initial push was to position it as a poor man's (or cheapskate's) Sirius XM -- stations between the stations -- but people either scratched their heads or yawned.

HD is the problem, and will continue to be the problem for years, even it comes standard in every vehicle. It's a geek medium right now, and has been from Day 1. The initial push was to position it as a poor man's (or cheapskate's) Sirius XM -- stations between the stations -- but people either scratched their heads or yawned.
My take is that the issue is a combination of install base, along with current programming. It became a way to bring AM to FM without it being analog FM. When it had less of an install than it has now, there was more niche programming on HD. And that's one thing to give New York's Country. It is trying to bring something unique to HD. It's not just a Jukebox. There is air staff that is geared toward the market.

And some cars come from the factory with HD Radio turned off. If you want it, you have to go into the setup menu and enable it. (Sometimes RDS, too.) If someone doesn't know and isn't told, the HD2/HD3 channels will be invisible to them.

WXBK-HD2 showing up in the latest PPM with a 0.2. It's disappointing to see such a poor showing considering they actually seem to be trying to put something into this channel.

Yes, Country is challenged in NYC and HD Radio is challenged overall, but it's still a staple FM radio format that's not available on a regular station in the #1 market. 0.2 is pretty bad for having the format to yourself just because it's on an HD2.
Country really isn't a staple format. Think about how diverse this country is. Country isn't a diverse format at all.

The Katie and Company show has been added to New York's Country 94.7 HD2. Katie Neal's show on the original WNSH 94.7 was eventually expanded to air on all of Audacy's Country stations.
So the HD2 station now has personalities from the original WNSH 94.7 on weekdays from 10 AM-6 PM (y)
The HD2 signal also seems stronger in recent weeks, where I listen. Perhaps WXBK 94.7 HD/HD2 is now broadcasting from the new location.
Katie Neal

Last edited:
New York's Country 94.7 HD2 has also added the national Rob & Holly show for nights. So they will have personalities each weekday from 10 am-midnight.
It's unclear at this point whether there will also be a morning host.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom