• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could KFBK come to FM via an FM Translator?

travisl5678 said:
But it could at least cover The City of Sacramento and downtown right? So people in their offices could listen

A translator is 5 watts average. They have 3 miles the most depending on terrain. The purpose of these things is to fill in the dead spots especially in mountainous areas. You should be more enthusiastic as far as making aliving with big bucks in the City of Sacramento as far as worrying about that.

Yes...then they would be considered a based licensed radio station. Enhanced LP. Find a frequency where they won't interfere on a close nearby station. It won't be easy. What's the point or your point. One day you will have your wish when it will be efficient to replace an FM music station that they own and will decide to simulcast KFBK for awhile. Then you can explore Green men with George Noory on the FM band in stereo.

KQLL (102.3) in Las Vegas does a pretty good job of covering the majority of Vegas with a 99-watt translator simulcasting the AM signal (at about 1000 ft.)

Don't see why that couldn't be done in Sacramento with 250 watts...

I don't think it's worth it. And neither does Clear Channel. Otherwise they would have already put it on 92.5 or 93.1. KFBK gets good ratings, but wouldn't benefit much more from having an FM simulcast. People that only listen to FM (aside from CDs, IPods, etc) don't care much about Rush, Tom, George, or news. People that do - already listen, and, are used to listening to AM.

KFRC/KCBS on 106.9 in SF works because the format is ALL news, so you could turn in anytime for news/weather/traffic. Not in the middle of a conservative talk program. And, CBS really couldn't figure out what else to put on that frequency. Even playing oldies was more expensive and didn't pull in the numbers they have now. So that turned out to be the right decision.

That's why KFI, KGO, KNBR, KNX, and yes, KFBK are still all on AM.

I was going to ask the same question. The ratings for KHLX are not that good and only time will tell if Clear Channel will stick with the format.

For whatever it's worth, they are on KHLX HD-3. Can they be picked up in Sacramento?

While we are on the subject of KHLX -- what the hell is the deal with all the obnoxious compression????? They literally add undue multi-path to their signal making it all the more painful to listen to for any length of time. It also adds to the gritty data reduction in the music. [Hint: An i-Pod on it's most compressed setting sounds better]. Neighboring Class-A KCCL puts out a clean signal and the audio is superior to KHLX all the way to Tracy! I would be embarrassed as a Clear Channel engineer. Sorry guys - there is no excuse for that.

only1moore said:
I was going to ask the same question. The ratings for KHLX are not that good and only time will tell if Clear Channel will stick with the format.

Big D said:
KFRC/KCBS on 106.9 in SF works because the format is ALL news, so you could turn in anytime for news/weather/traffic. Not in the middle of a conservative talk program. That's why KFI, KGO, KNBR, KNX, and yes, KFBK are still all on AM.
I understand on KFI, KGO, KNBR, & KFBK but what about KNX? KNX is essentially just like KCBS but for Los Angeles. I don't know how JACK 93.1 in Los Angeles is doing in the ratings, but CBS has pulled the plug on Jack in New York & Chicago on the primary signal. I could really see an All News KNX-FM @ 93.1?

A 50KW blowtorch like KFBK doesn't exactly fit the concept that the FCC had in allowing AM's to use FM translators:

From the 2009 Report and Order allowing the use: "...we now conclude that cross-service translators will
improve the ability of AM stations to provide service to their local communities by filling in service voids
in their intended coverage areas."

A few lines later, it discusses interference levels to AM stations:

"Those interference sources have changed the competitive posture of AM stations, because interference makes it impossible for many stations to provide a listenable groundwave signal in a substantial part of their primary service areas. Allowing these stations to use FM translators for fill-in service appears to be the best way to help them provide consistent service throughout their predicted service area, both in daytime and nighttime hours."

Since KFBK is the most powerful station in the market, has great coverage in its Community of License, and isn't lacking for listeners (consistently #1 in ratings) a translator for KFBK seems to be un-necessary and likely to create an objection by people who'd rather see the spectrum used for something they can't now get.

If Clear Channel wants to put KFBK's programming on FM... it could do so on the AM's original sister station... 92.5, and have a pair that has a similar coverage area.

Ratings wise, hard to say what that would do. Not a good thing if it siphoned off AM listening without adding more total listeners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom