• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Congrats to Brad, Mark & Cumulus: Severe WX Coverage

As I said before, the one aggravation I have with WBAP is that as the primary EAS station, it has to pause and pass the warning down the line before getting into the details. When multiple counties are getting warned all at once, that eats up a lot of info time.

Since you are talking about EAS and I don't want to bring this up at this point in the Oklahoma thread (where I live):

Do secondary EAS stations receive their notification of an EAS activation by monitoring the broadcast signal of a primary?

The reason I ask is: Yesterday here in Oklahoma City, I was listening to the simulcast of KWTV channel 9 severe weather coverage on KOKC 1520. At at least two points when I really needed to be listening to the vital, real time ground truth reports from KWTV's spotters and meteorologists, the simulcast audio was interrupted by an EAS broadcast for storms in southern Oklahoma. If there is some back channel way of triggering downstream EAS stations and there is an option to opt out of broadcasting messages, I would much rather not have had the live coverage interrupted.

woodyrr said:
Since you are talking about EAS and I don't want to bring this up at this point in the Oklahoma thread (where I live):

Do secondary EAS stations receive their notification of an EAS activation by monitoring the broadcast signal of a primary?

The reason I ask is: Yesterday here in Oklahoma City, I was listening to the simulcast of KWTV channel 9 severe weather coverage on KOKC 1520. At at least two points when I really needed to be listening to the vital, real time ground truth reports from KWTV's spotters and meteorologists, the simulcast audio was interrupted by an EAS broadcast for storms in southern Oklahoma. If there is some back channel way of triggering downstream EAS stations and there is an option to opt out of broadcasting messages, I would much rather not have had the live coverage interrupted.

In checking the statewide EAS plan for Oklahoma City:
The LP1 primary station is WKY AM-930.
The LP2 secondary station is KMGL-FM 104.1

With the new IPAWS/CAPS EAS system non LP1-LP2 stations have installed the EAS encoder in the program line between the studio and the transmitter. This is to ensure that EAS information is transmitted no matter what.

In this configuration, When receiving an alert the EAS decode/encode receiver interrupts the studio audio to the transmitter and automatically rebroadcasts information received from the LP-1. If the LP-1 is not available the EAS unit will rebroadcast information from the LP2. Some stations also monitor a third EAS source, the LP3 which in most cases is the local NOAA VHF station.

Since most stations these days, including 1520 are operated with a bare bones staff, essentially automated, the EAS decode/encode system is set up this way to ensure information is sent to the public. On the self-serving side stations also operate the EAS system in this fashion to ensure the RWT and RMT, required weekly and monthly tests are transmitted to avoid a hefty fine by removing the "I forgot" excuse board operators use when they neglect to air RWT and RMT events.

While non LP stations aren't required to run anything beyond the RWT and RMT in most states, some stations do set certain messages like a TOR (tornado warning) to automatically be relayed as soon as they come in.

The EAS interrupting vital information is a symptom of not having someone in the studio at the time. At my station we choose 'automatic' or 'manual'. As I understand things, the whole idea is to get EAS information on air as quickly as possible. Many stations, essentially unmanned, choose automatic so that EAS goes immediately on the air without regard to what the station might be airing at the time. If the studio was manned, it could be set on the manual setting and inserted on the fly at the next available slot to insert the alert. KOKC musit have been running in automatic mode. It's the same mode for the station I manage. When the EAS fires off, it interrupts whatever is on the air, even for RWT and RMT tests.

Many times TV News teams are ahead of the curve regarding EAS, beating the EAS to the punch. In radio's current state, radio opts to carry TV audio in lieu of doing it themselves, especially since they don't have the staff to do so. Watching the KOCO stream they have mentioned being heard on the Cumulus stations.

And might I add the crews have been doing an exceptional job covering things.

Thanks.

I think I'll check one of the FM stations that carries Channel 9 audio next time. Maybe they have someone manning the store.

BTW, the distance from the KOKC transmitter and three antenna array to the damage path can be easily measured in yards!. The antennas were just north.

After working in Dallas for so many years (15), and at The Weather Channel for 12, I'm a big fan of weather coverage on radio. And when there are
warnings for the Metroplex, I still hop on the radar and sometimes dial up the local radio/TV streams. :D

I'm glad to hear that WBAP's severe weather coverage remains topnotch. Brad Barton is very good at what he does.
Having worked with Mark Watkins for 5 years, I'm well acquainted with his many talents. And a shout-out as well to the rest
of the news staff, who I know from past experience have done great work during severe weather events, from Rick Hadley, Jim
Ryan, Alan Scaia and John Pendolino on down.

Good going guys!
Mark Woolsey (Elliott)
Anchor/reporter
All-News 106.7, WYAY
Atlanta

woodyrr said:
BTW, the distance from the KOKC transmitter and three antenna array to the damage path can be easily measured in yards!. The antennas were just north.

The Moore tornado literally cut through about half the land the KOKC towers sit on. However, it went just south of the towers and transmission equipment. Like you said, it missed the towers by, at most, a few yards. From what I've heard, there's a lot of debris on the property, including some on or near the towers themselves, but the towers and transmitter buildings sustained no real damage.

I recall now: When one of the chasers reported the tornado was crossing I-35, it would have just passed the KOKC tower site. You couldn't tell by listening to the audio that an EF5 tornado was right outside the back door. On live television, I witnessed a small tornado take down the original WKY 930 tower in north Oklahoma City. It mangled it pretty good.

With regard to no one being at home, Two of the on air guys at 1000 KTOK are in their third or is it fourth day of continuous coverage of the relief efforts, trying to steer donations to where they need to be. They have been spelling each other in shifts, one on the air and the other downstairs in the parking lot directing traffic and doing remotes. If you haven't seen the OKC TV mets in their element during tornadic thunderstorms, it is an experience. If we could just get the EAS to not interrupt the coverage on radio, I think, here in central Oklahoma, I would like to see the radio stations simulcast the TV audio during the event and then go live with their own people to work the aftermath.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom