• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Co-hosted Talk Shows

First of all, what 's with Red Eye Radio? Gary did the show by himself Wednesday night saying that Eric was out sick but would hopefully be back tomorrow night (Thursday.) Then Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights were all repeats. I hope they're both well.

But that got me thinking, with budgets stretched and always first of mind, are co-hosted shows a good idea? In the case of Red Eye Radio, Friday and Saturday nights are always repeats. Wouldn't it be better to make sure the show is live all seven nights, even if that means having a single host? Gary did a great job hosting solo, and I've heard Eric host the show by himself too. In fact, I'd say when Gary is solo he seems more focused. He takes more phone calls and gives the callers more time to make their points without yelling at them and cutting them off. His reading of articles is smoother. For some reason when Eric is there, Gary sounds like he's proof-reading to himself. And best of all, there's none of the hysterical laughter as they react to each other's not especially funny jokes. The show is just better solo.

And how about the Buck and Clay show? I don't know about Clay, but Buck does an excellent show by himself. The pairing of these guys just doesn't work.

I used to really enjoy WMAL in the morning with Vince Coglianese and Mary Walter. Then Vince moved to afternoons and ... guess what ... the show is even better! Vince is young, sharp, enthusiastic without being over-the-top, and he doesn't need a co-host. The former afternoon host, Larry O'Connor, who sounded alright by himself switched to mornings and is now doing his best to sound bubbly and goofy as he giggles his way through the show accompanied by a rotating schedule of smart but squeaky-voiced co-hosts. It doesn't work. He sounds like an aging DJ from the '50s trying to impress his fans. He's a smart guy and can do better ... by himself.

Of course there are exceptions. KFI's John & Ken are better together than by themselves, and WOR's Mark Simone, who is great by himself, is even better with Joe Bartlett, although Bartlett is officially the newsman, not a co-host. That often works better because there's a primary host, not two co-hosts trying to compete with each other.

So wouldn't moving to more single-hosted shows help stations and syndicators both financially and programmatically?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom