• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CMA Awards TV Ratings Drop

Last night's CMA Awards TV show fell to an all-time low in the ratings;

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/cma-awards-2020-fall-all-time-low-tv-ratings-1234830250/

Lots of possible reasons. No big stars. No Luke Bryan, no Kenny Chesney, no Blake Shelton, no Garth Brooks, no Lady A, no FGL. Instead there were lots of tributes to dead baby boomer artists such as Kenny Rogers, Charlie Daniels, Mac Davis, and Joe Diffie. Plus another tribute to Charley Pride. They also had several artists cancel because they were diagnosed with COVID. No Rascal Flatts because of COVID.

Last night's CMA Awards TV show fell to an all-time low in the ratings;

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/cma-awards-2020-fall-all-time-low-tv-ratings-1234830250/

Lots of possible reasons. No big stars. No Luke Bryan, no Kenny Chesney, no Blake Shelton, no Garth Brooks, no Lady A, no FGL. Instead there were lots of tributes to dead baby boomer artists such as Kenny Rogers, Charlie Daniels, Mac Davis, and Joe Diffie. Plus another tribute to Charley Pride. They also had several artists cancel because they were diagnosed with COVID. No Rascal Flatts because of COVID.

Given your description, I'm surprised anyone watched. This is what COVID will continue to do to TV's traditional blockbuster live events until the magic bullet (vaccine) is developed and approved and most Americans accept it.

It didn't seem so bad to me. I don't know why we even need an audience.

The music was more country than usual. I guess the tributes were one reason. They thanked the singers who did the Charlie Daniels tribute but no one mentioned the fiddle player.

The dark-haired singer for Little Big Town is really good. I never really noticed because I haven't liked their music all that much.

I do wish a different song had been done for Mac Davis. We've heard quite enough about what's going on in the world and we needed to be happy. And Mac Davis' music was mostly positive.

Now Kelsea Ballerini REALLY surprised me with "Hole in the Bottle". I think that one was on another awards show. Other than that Charley Pride's song was the best one. Not only did he participate, but the instrumentals were just like on the recording.

I was pleased Morgan Wallen won for new artist based on the clip I heard. And that Luke Combs got the awards he did.

On the other hand, Gabby Barrett shouldn't have even been allowed in the building. When I was making my list of songs on WEZV, I looked up the lyrics for a song that turned out to be hers. I didn't even consider the possibility that it might be country.

There is an interview with the show's producer at www.countryaircheck.com. In it, he talks about the show's low ratings, saying that all similar shows were down this year, and also pointing out that these shows shouldn't be judged by just the one-time broadcast ratings:

The other thing we have to remember is these performances go on forever. There are already a million YouTube views of Dan+ Shay and Justin Bieber.

He also gives background on the various song choices, and explains that the Mac Davis song was chosen by the performers.

This is an effect of streaming. People are not watching traditional TV anymore.

Which gets back to the idea that these TV events continue to make money after the initial broadcast on YouTube and social media.

But none of that is measured by Nielsen's traditional TV ratings.

Which gets back to the idea that these TV events continue to make money after the initial broadcast on YouTube and social media.

But none of that is measured by Nielsen's traditional TV ratings.

People only care about the performances not the boring stuff. Nobody wants to watch a 3 hour award show.

People only care about the performances not the boring stuff. Nobody wants to watch a 3 hour award show.

Or they only care about certain performances, by artists they like. The producer noted the Dan + Shay with Justin Bieber performance has over a million views. It's interesting that most of the other performances have under 200K views. The tribute performances to 70s artists (Charlie Daniels, Urban Cowboy, Charley Pride) are all under 100K views. So it's easy to see which performances are more popular.

Personally, I was watching football, and forgot the AMAs were on. Looks like I was not alone.
Wonder what M stands for?

It sure wasn't music. I saw just enough clips of some of the nominated performances to figure that out, and I skipped over most of the performances that were on air.

Anyone know how many times Taraji Henson changed clothes?

I was disappointed not to actually hear a clip from Bad Bunny. I really liked him last year.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom