• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

classic country under wlac at night

A

ALRocker

I am 140 miles south of Nashville and hear it faintly. The site I use to ID formats is not working. Any guesses. Needlessly to say I'm in Alabama. Thanks .

ALRocker,

It could be WWSM from Annville-Cleona, PA. They frequently forget to turn off the transmitter at night and sometimes fades up above WLAC in my location (S. Michigan).

Lawppy said:
It could be WWSM

Interesting choice of calls letters for a classic country station, isn't it?

I'm up in Coal Country PA, same state as WWSM and pretty far north of them, but according to Radio-Locator's maps, WWSM sends a lot of juice our way. And indeed they *are* a pretty faithful carradio signal. WWSM is one of the few stations on the AM dial whose main product is music.

Terrific listen they are, if you're into that genre of C&W.

If what you heard, Al, was a series of one song after another from the late Fifties being segued with generic, pre-recorded backsells .... and the occasional spot for someone selling sheepskins at Pat Garrett's truck stop along interstate 78 ...... then you had WWSM.

The station is very casual as far as IDs and other commitments go, and they're largely -- mostly -- automated. They probably could probably go 24/7/365 on the automation unit indefinitely, or until the next morning, when Pat Garrett would walk in to sign it on and go 'whoops!'

If any further assistance in IDing them is required, WWSM plays songs by the FATHERS of the Pioneers.

jd said:
Lawppy said:
It could be WWSM

Interesting choice of calls letters for a classic country station, isn't it?

LOL.

I'm not a CW guy, but the actual WSM has kinda grown on me (as it slops over onto 648...where I'm trying to TA DX the BBC World Service).

~BG

ALRocker said:
I am 140 miles south of Nashville and hear it faintly. The site I use to ID formats is not working. Any guesses. Needlessly to say I'm in Alabama. Thanks .

AL,
I live 21 miles from WLAC's Transmitter Site. I live in Gallatin, TN. There is a null in the nighttime directional pattern towards Gallatin, which causes interference on 1510 here in Gallatin. I heard that Classic Country Music being played, but I didn't know who it was. Probably the interfering station's Remote Control didn't shut the transmitter off OR somebody who knew the code to turn on the transmitter, was playing a joke, called the AM Transmitter and turned it on.

This has been going on for a long time. Joke Pranksters calling AM "daytime only" stations Remote Control and turning it on at night and leaving it on all night!

I bet none of you in the DX Gang have ever thought about that! It's been going on for years!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom