• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic Country... a CBS-wide AM solution?

• Thread starter FloridaBear1776
  • Start date
F

FloridaBear1776

CBS has now placed Classic Country on three AMs, with Tampa joining Buffalo and Memphis. Is this some kind of company-wide solution for marginal AM properties?

> CBS has now placed Classic Country on three AMs, with Tampa
> joining Buffalo and Memphis. Is this some kind of
> company-wide solution for marginal AM properties?
>
which am in tampa is classic country?<P ID="signature">______________
note to the NAB..satellite radio..its worth paying for!!</P>

> > CBS has now placed Classic Country on three AMs, with
> Tampa
> > joining Buffalo and Memphis. Is this some kind of
> > company-wide solution for marginal AM properties?
> >
> which am in tampa is classic country?
>
WQYK-AM 1010, formerly WBZZ-AM.

I like the idea, and have always felt that AM can still be a home for music, especially this format. How did the launch go in Tampa? In Memphis it has been awful!

> I like the idea, and have always felt that AM can still be a
> home for music, especially this format. How did the launch
> go in Tampa? In Memphis it has been awful!
>

Utter chaos. See the Tampa Bay board.

> > I like the idea, and have always felt that AM can still be
> a
> > home for music, especially this format. How did the
> launch
> > go in Tampa? In Memphis it has been awful!
> >
>
> Utter chaos. See the Tampa Bay board.
>

1010AM has a terrible signal. Although they have 50kw daytime, it is in a pattern due west (over the Gulf of Mexico) and due east to Orlando. Their night signal is terrible and both signals leave out the fast-growing areas north and south of Tampa. I was in St. Petersburg the other evening at sunset when they switched to the night power and totally lost the station.

They don't even try to voice-track the station or anything. It is just a jukebox of songs with an occasional ID/promo. They have a news guy (probably from Metro Traffic) on throughout the day for once-an-hour traffice/news/wx updates, probably more often in the morning.

> CBS has now placed Classic Country on three AMs, with Tampa
> joining Buffalo and Memphis. Is this some kind of
> company-wide solution for marginal AM properties?

I doubt it for there are some areas where country isn't as strong as others, and a "classic country" format might not be successful.

But in areas where country is strong, a classic country format on AM might work, CBS-owned or not-CBS-owned.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom