• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas music

I read on RadioInsight that there is only one station nationwide who has flipped to all-Christmas. I’m assuming that WSPA-FM will be among one of the first, likely flipping the switch on 11/4 (Friday).

I’m surprised they didn’t do a “preview weekend” one of the past two weekends. Any guesses on when it will be? I’m sure we’ll find out shortly.

I believe it was last year that Magic flipped on Halloween, so it could happen at any moment.
Looks like it happened early today, so I believe that makes them one of the very first. They normally do it through New Years now too, so they’re also one of the last to go back to regular format.

That's because it's the only time they get great ratings.
Not the past couple years now. In fact last year WSPA only got a bump after they flipped back to their regular format.

It was annoying to hear Mariah Carey at 830 AM after I realized I forgot to change the dial yesterday. Barry McKay was acting smug about it too, taunting naysayers and what not. Yeesh. Maybe I’ll tune in again after Thanksgiving.

Not the past couple years now. In fact last year WSPA only got a bump after they flipped back to their regular format.

yes.....all Christmas has not moved the ratings needle much for a number of years surprised they commit more that 16 percent of their broadcast year to it

I remember when they used to maintain the AC format online when they flipped to all Christmas which seemed like a good idea to keep the at work crowd that doesn’t like Christmas. Not sure why they stopped doing that.

WSPA’s monthly trends last year:

Aug 21: 4.5
Sept 21: 4.3
Oct 21: 3.6
Nov 21: 3.2
Dec 21: 3.3
Jan 22: 3.8
Feb 22: 4.6

WSPA’s monthly trends last year:

Aug 21: 4.5
Sept 21: 4.3
Oct 21: 3.6
Nov 21: 3.2
Dec 21: 3.3
Jan 22: 3.8
Feb 22: 4.6
The station is stale and has only one full time live, local person. Sheri tries, but how much can one person do? There's no promotion other than the same old on air stuff (like shake the tree.) And the music isn't unique at all.

Well, they’re doing better than WTCB in Columbia who is getting a 2 share with their AC format. I don’t think it’s WSPA-FM as much as the format in general as of late and Audacy’s poor financial conditions. They aren’t really not doing anything any other AC’s are.

WSPA-FM is devoid of much personality, much like many other stations in the market - but the other extreme is 103.3 and their IMO over talkative jocks which gets old…plus their music is everywhere. You can’t do “Motown Monday” (didn’t that trend die 20 years ago?) and play Metallica, Ozzy. Etc on the same station and have it sound good using OLDIES jingles. It sounds like a train wreck.

Well, they’re doing better than WTCB in Columbia who is getting a 2 share with their AC format.

WSPA-FM is devoid of much personality, much like many other stations in the market - but the other extreme is 103.3 and their IMO over talkative jocks which gets old…plus their music is everywhere. You can’t do “Motown Monday” (didn’t that trend die 20 years ago?) and play Metallica, Ozzy. Etc on the same station and have it sound good using OLDIES jingles. It sounds like a train wreck.
I'm so used to listening to jockless streams at home that it's very unsettling when I get in the car and turn on the radio, especially to stations that do a lot of chatter. I tend to listen to streams now in the car, too.

I'm so used to listening to jockless streams at home that it's very unsettling when I get in the car and turn on the radio, especially to stations that do a lot of chatter. I tend to listen to streams now in the car, too.
Even SiriusXM has a limited amount of talk. I enjoy the iHeartRadio streams that have hosts that talk a little, but when they start having talk shows and taking up 3-4 minutes at a time talking it gets irritating. I personally like Awesome 99.5 and don’t even consider they don’t have DJ’s most of the time.

Salem has a very light spot load on 103.3 so I guess they figure some of that extra time can be devoted to more talking than music and still play about the same amount of songs per hour as other stations. How does Awesome 99.5 have such a heavier spot load than Earth FM - and more “traditional” advertisers (not a lot of medical services and wealth management companies)?

Even SiriusXM has a limited amount of talk. I enjoy the iHeartRadio streams that have hosts that talk a little, but when they start having talk shows and taking up 3-4 minutes at a time talking it gets irritating. I personally like Awesome 99.5 and don’t even consider they don’t have DJ’s most of the time.

Salem has a very light spot load on 103.3 so I guess they figure some of that extra time can be devoted to more talking than music and still play about the same amount of songs per hour as other stations. How does Awesome 99.5 have such a heavier spot load than Earth FM - and more “traditional” advertisers (not a lot of medical services and wealth management companies)?
I'm going to guess that Awesome is satellite fed so many if the spots are national breaks for national advertisers. Forced breaks, even if there are no local spots. If Earth is low on spot count, they can just play another song. I appreciate the local content. I can even appreciate the unique music mix. But the talking is way too much for me. Old school for sure. Not bad, just not what I enjoy anymore.

I'm going to guess that Awesome is satellite fed so many if the spots are national breaks for national advertisers. Forced breaks, even if there are no local spots. If Earth is low on spot count, they can just play another song. I appreciate the local content. I can even appreciate the unique music mix. But the talking is way too much for me. Old school for sure. Not bad, just not what I enjoy anymore.
Awesome 99.5 is fed locally. It shares a playlist/library with Summit’s WJSR/Richmond (Awesome 100.9) and WNOX/Knoxville (Awesome 93.1) but it’s put together in house.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom