• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Chicago Radio Ratings: July 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 6/22/2023 thru Wed. 7/19/2023, age 6+ overall:

or Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News
or https://www.urbaninsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/CHICAGO.htm

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis (scroll down to see Chicago):

25-54: 1T. WLIT 1T. WOJO 3. WUSN 4. WXRT 5. WBMX 6. WTMX 7. WLS-FM (up from #10)
18-34: 1. WOJO (up from #5) 2. WXRT (up from #19) 3. WUSN 4T. WKSC (down from #1) 4T. WGCI (up from #7) 6. WLIT 7. WDRV (down from #1T)
18-49: 1. WOJO 2T. WLIT 2T. WXRT (up from #10) 4. WUSN 5. WBMX 6. WDRV 7. WKSC (down from #3)

Do we think SHE’s going to survive? I personally think a JACK-FM style format might do better. Something with more variety than what we hear on WLS-FM. Again, my personal opinion not based in any actual research:) Curious what others think about WSHE and their strategy.

Do we think SHE’s going to survive? I personally think a JACK-FM style format might do better. Something with more variety than what we hear on WLS-FM. Again, my personal opinion not based in any actual research:) Curious what others think about WSHE and their strategy.

WSHE is a WTMX flanker. I can think of very few times that the station ever cracked a 3.0. It was always usually in the 2s. They had a 3.0 in the summer of 2000 in the Windy 100 days. They had a 3.0 in the last book before they changed to the current format last year. They made a lot of subtle tweaks to the format over the years but it was almost always in the 2s in the 6+ demo.

One of their bigger problems now is they have more competition than they did when it changed last year since B96 adjusted their format.

SHE's a dud!

Given 93.9's massive numbers (and consistent wins over 101.9 in demos that matter), it sure seems Hubbard erred big time in dumping Mainstream AC from 100.3.

I think 100.3 should rebrand to be a full-out AC station directly competing with WLIT. Also, when LITE FM begins Christmas, WSHE should too. Would be interesting to see the numbers.

I think 100.3 should rebrand to be a full-out AC station directly competing with WLIT. Also, when LITE FM begins Christmas, WSHE should too. Would be interesting to see the numbers.

They've been going back and forth between AC and Adult Hits on and off for about 15 years now. Actually over 20.

WSHE has gone all Christmas. First time was 20 years ago when it was WNND. They beat WLIT to it by a couple weeks and forced WLIT to flip the switch early for the first time. WLIT won the ratings. They tried it a few more times. WLIT got the ratings. So they stopped going all Christmas because Chicago obviously prefers WLIT. Their talent. Their presentation. Their playlist when it comes to Christmas music.

Here is an overview of 100.3 over the years:

Hot AC - 100.3 The Point
Hot AC - 100.3 Chicago's FM 100
Hot AC - Chicago's 100.3
AC - Windy 100FM (No light sleepy elevator music, etc)
AC - Windy 100
AC - Windy 100....Time For You (Using The Drive's downtempo presentation, around late 2001)
AC - Windy 100.3, the best of the 90s, 80s & Today
80s-90s AC - 100.3 WNND
Rhythmic-leaning Soft AC - 100.3 LOVE FM
Rhythmic Oldies - 100.3 LOVE FM
Adult Hits - 100.3 LOVE FM
Adult Hits - Chicago's 100.3
80s-based Adult Hits - Rewind 100.3
Adult Hits - Rewind 100.3
AC - Chicago's 100.3
Modern-leaning AC - The New 100.3 WSHE
AC - 100.3 WSHE
AC - She 100.3
90s-leaning Adult Hits - She 100.3
Current format

If you're interested in the numbers, it averaged between 2.0 and 3.0, figure around a 2.5 or so. In 2004 it was stuck in the 1s. So they went with LOVE FM which only lasted a little over a year before going Rhythmic Oldies, and eventually to Adult Hits. They're content with that. Like I said before, the station had a 3.0 before they flipped to the current format. Their best numbers in a long time. They had no problem messing with it.

The station also clears Hubbard's nationally syndicated Brooke & Jeffrey show which is based in Seattle. It gives them Chicago for advertising purposes. Doesn't matter if anybody really listens since it's a syndicated show and they probably don't, but it makes them the money they need any way. Advertisers on these shows want them to be on in big markets.

Last edited:
They've been going back and forth between AC and Adult Hits on and off for about 15 years now. Actually over 20.

WSHE has gone all Christmas. First time was 20 years ago when it was WNND. They beat WLIT to it by a couple weeks and forced WLIT to flip the switch early for the first time. WLIT won the ratings. They tried it a few more times. WLIT got the ratings. So they stopped going all Christmas because Chicago obviously prefers WLIT. Their talent. Their presentation. Their playlist when it comes to Christmas music.

Hot AC - 100.3 The Point
Hot AC - Chicago's 100.3
AC - Windy 100
AC - Windy 100....Time For You (Using The Drive's downtempo presentation, around late 2001)
80s-90s AC - 100.3 WNND
AC - Chicago's 100.3
AC - 100.3 WSHE
AC - She 100.3
Current format

If you're interested in the numbers, it averaged between 2.0 and 3.0, figure around a 2.5 or so. In 2004 it was stuck in the 1s. So they went with LOVE FM which only lasted a little over a year before going Rhythmic Oldies, and eventually to Adult Hits. They're content with that. Like I said before, the station had a 3.0 before they flipped to the current format. Their best numbers in a long time. They had no problem messing with it.

The station also clears Hubbard's nationally syndicated Brooke & Jeffrey show which is based in Seattle. It gives them Chicago for advertising purposes. Doesn't matter if anybody really listens since it's a syndicated show and they probably don't, but it makes them the money they need any way. Advertisers on these shows want them to be on in big markets.
Thanks for sharing, great data!

They are trying but they never seemed to get enough traction in the market. There are no true AC stations in Chicago since WSHE didn’t succeed as one and WLIT went Soft AC around 2019.

Hot AC - 100.3 The Point
Hot AC - Chicago's 100.3
AC - Windy 100
80s-90s AC - 100.3 WNND
AC - Chicago's 100.3
AC - 100.3 WSHE
AC - She 100.3
Current format

It doesn’t work in Chicago but it apparently works in some markets like Seattle but not as well as Brooke and Jubal did. I think it’s cause KQMV now has to compete with Jubal and he is no longer on the station. Jubal leaving never affected WSHE’s ratings though. They preferred WLIT for years though for Xmas music.

Do you think iheart does anything to WVAZ these numbers look low compared to what they use to be

In this thread, when we’re talking about “doing something” with WVAZ, what might be done and with what goal in mind? Are we talking about a format change, or some smaller adjustment? I don’t know a lot about the history, so just curious.

In this thread, when we’re talking about “doing something” with WVAZ, what might be done and with what goal in mind? Are we talking about a format change, or some smaller adjustment? I don’t know a lot about the history, so just curious.
Not a change in format. But doing something to the station twaking the playlist. Promoting it more to bring more potential viewers to the station

Back
Top Bottom