• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Chicago Radio Ratings: August 2022

Call-in concerts were a BIG Q101 deal. They used to do that a lot. Even when the station was suffering from mediocre or terrible ratings they would always have jammed phone lines for the call-in tickets and would usually cause a brief ratings spike. They also used to pull down gaudy numbers from airing concerts live on the radio as well. It helped solidify Q101 as a special station.
How would one know of "gaudy numbers from airing concerts" if the ratings did not break out individual days or weeks prior to the arrival of the PPM? Even individual months were mathematically derived, not an exact measure of just one month.

I agree with Jeremy; Q101 is pretty much right in the middle of the alternative lane. There is no active rock lean at all. Might the station be playing just a little more in the way of guitar flavored alternative rock than before? Maybe.

How would one know of "gaudy numbers from airing concerts" if the ratings did not break out individual days or weeks prior to the arrival of the PPM? Even individual months were mathematically derived, not an exact measure of just one month.
To be completely honest, I think I was getting too nostalgic, there was a lot of excitement when I was young when Q101 was going to broadcast a concert live, especially if it was a local artist. I said a statement on a radio board without data to back it up, which is a mistake.

That's one of my biggest gripes with 95.5, in addition to the lack of any new tracks.

The thing with 95.5 is it is technically a Classic Rock station. It just happens to have more 90s and 2000s. The Drive added some 90s music into rotation recently. I think 95.5 might be part of the reason. A softer variation would be 95.9 The River. They play a ton of 90s and 2000s but it's more along the Hot AC line and it cuts off Mid 2000s. If you look at the playlist on their website you'll see what I mean.

Jeremy's first two paragraphs perfectly sum up why I think 95.5 is a very lame "ROCK" station.

Matchbox 20, Journey, and Bryan Adams need to be thrown into the trash can.

I also dislike the lack of music from circa 2002 onward.
When I've scrolled through their "recently played" list, I hadn't noticed those bands, but I did a couple days ago after reading your replies. I agree......Journey and Bryan Adams don't need to be mixed in with their core artists. I can see your point of not playing any currents. KISW in Seattle is listed as an active rock, but honestly, they only play about 1 current per hour. Seems like WCHI could throw in new RHCP, Jack White or an Ayron Jones tune. The city I live in has 5 stations that play Journey, Bryan Adams, Steve Miller and Bon Jovi.......so I've got my own problems......LOL.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom