• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Check this out re: WCBS-FM

Is the title "OLDIES" the problem?

Real Shocker this one.

I tend to think that the title "OLDIES" is the music equivilent to many other forbidden words.

Is it George Carlin's "Eighth Word" you cannot say on the radio?

Eric Idle had it exactly right in his song:
"Bet you they won't play this song on the radio."

I like the tunes and the format but the name "OLDIES" just grate many the wrong way.

For the folks in NYC, I hope the format returns.

There was a format flip from Country to Hiphop about seven years ago at one station many years ago; yeah they are a Jack clone now.

Waiting for JACK to eventually stop being the flavour of the day....

Re: Is the title "OLDIES" the problem?

> [Waiting for JACK to eventually stop being the flavour of the
> day....]

I don't know the official definition of "Jack", but I understand that it involves expanding playlists 3 or 4 times. This seems to be a reaction to listener complaints about "hearing the same songs over and over again". So isn't it possible that we could see "Jack" in all formats........Jack Country, Jack AC, Jack Easy Listening, and yes, Jack Oldies? Kinda sounds like satellite radio, doesn't it?

title "OLDIES"

It's not the word OLDIES but what it represents. It stands for a brand of music most "Oldies"-type stations have already evolved away from. Big 100 in D.C. changed from Oldies 100 a few years ago and last year I heard Cool 100.3 in Orlando changed their name and became Big 100-The Biggest Hits. No oldies, no 60's and 70's phrasing. It all seemed to make sense (until CC pulled the trigger with Hispanic a few months back). They may have been the only ones to go that far, but many others have dropped Oldies terminology from their language. It isn't the "old" in Oldies, it's that the Oldies brand name basically means Elvis-to-Beatles era music. Most Oldies stations are now
mid 60s to early 70 and it's evolved into a different brand (though a number are
keeping the former brand names).
>
> I tend to think that the title "OLDIES" is the music
> equivilent to many other forbidden words.
>
> Is it George Carlin's "Eighth Word" you cannot say on
> the radio?
>
> Eric Idle had it exactly right in his song:
> "Bet you they won't play this song on the radio."
>
> I like the tunes and the format but the name "OLDIES" just
> grate many the wrong way.
>
> For the folks in NYC, I hope the format returns.
>
> There was a format flip from Country to Hiphop about seven
> years ago at one station many years ago; yeah they are a
> Jack clone now.
>
> Waiting for JACK to eventually stop being the flavour of the
> day....
>

Re: Is the title "OLDIES" the problem?

JACK is about creating the illusion of variety and randomness. The playlists are neither as big nor as random as the imaging would have you believe.

Just as important is the anti-radio attitude laid out in the imaging: - i.e not playing requests is a positive, "we play what WE want, not what YOU want" - it's all about corporate radio's hope that this is the "magic bullet," the music format that can be a ratings winner without any human capital. If it succeeds widely over the long term, then it will spread to just about every format.

> > [Waiting for JACK to eventually stop being the flavour of
> the
> > day....]
>
>
>
> I don't know the official definition of "Jack", but I
> understand that it involves expanding playlists 3 or 4
> times. This seems to be a reaction to listener complaints
> about "hearing the same songs over and over again". So
> isn't it possible that we could see "Jack" in all
> formats........Jack Country, Jack AC, Jack Easy Listening,
> and yes, Jack Oldies? Kinda sounds like satellite radio,
> doesn't it?
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom