• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cheapest Ad Insertion Technology?

Howdy all!

I have a client who is starting a cable TV channel. He wants to know what the easiest/cheapest method is for automatically allowing his subscribers to insert local ads.

I was telling him about radio cue tones, but I'm completely lost in the TV world I am slowly finding myself in.

Thanks in advance!

henry said:
Howdy all!

I have a client who is starting a cable TV channel. He wants to know what the easiest/cheapest method is for automatically allowing his subscribers to insert local ads.

I was telling him about radio cue tones, but I'm completely lost in the TV world I am slowly finding myself in.

Thanks in advance!

Like it or not he is going to have to use whatever everyone else is using.

Posted by: Prais
Insert Quote
A minimum wage tv geek kid works well. I was that kid for a while.

A worthy suggestion but unlike TV stations which may have some kind of warm body in master control, at least part of the day, with Cable you are dealing with thousands of unattended headends and it will have to conform to whatever they now use. I have been out of it for several years and during my time we used DTMF tones sent on the audio channel to trigger the local insertion equipment. No one does THAT anymore but the method has to be compatible with headend standards.

Wasn't those tones (similar to what we hear on the RTV programming) relagated to an audio sub-channel to keep it out of the program audio? As an avid cable TV watcher back in the 80's I remember hearing those tones prior to the local break. Later on, I became aware that those tones had disappeared and put on a sub-channel to cue the cable systems.

Mike

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom