• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Chattanooga, Tenn. TV chronology

WROM/ch. 9 (NBC primary; ABC, CBS, Dumont all secondaries) signs on. It is licensed to and originates from Rome, Ga.

WROM/ch. 9 drops CBS as a secondary.
WDEF/ch. 12 (CBS primary; ABC, NBC, Dumont secondaries) signs on.

WDEF/ch. 12 drops Dumont as a secondary.

WRGB/ch. 3 (NBC) signs on.
WROM/ch. 9 drops NBC as primary and Dumont as a secondary.
WDEF/ch. 12 drops NBC as a secondary.

WROM/ch. 9 reverts to independent.

WROM/ch. 9 relocates broadcast facilities to Chattanooga and changes call to WTVC. It takes on ABC as primary.
WDEF/ch. 12 drops ABC as a secondary.

WRGB/ch. 3 changes call to WRCB.

WCLP/ch. 18 (NET) signs on. It is licensed to and originates from Chatsworth, Ga.

WCLP/ch. 18 becomes a PBS affiliate.
WTCI/ch. 45 (NET) signs on. It becomes a PBS affiliate that fall.

WRIP/ch. 61 (independent) signs on.

WRIP/ch. 61 changes call to WDSI.

WDSI/ch. 61 becomes a Fox affiliate.

WFLI/ch. 53 (independent) signs on. It is licensed to and originates from Cleveland, Tenn.

WELF/ch. 23 (Trinity) signs on. It is licensed to Dalton, Ga, and originates from Chatsworth, Ga.

WFLI/ch. 53 becomes a UPN affiliate.
The WB has no OTA affiliate in Chattanooga. It is furnished on cable.

WFLI/ch. 53 switches to the WB.

WDEF/ch. 12 takes on UPN as a secondary.

WDEF/ch. 12 drops UPN as a secondary.
WFLI/ch. 53 becomes a CW affiliate.
WDSI/ch. 61 starts a subcarrier becomes a My Network TV affiliate.

WCLP/ch. 18 changes call to WNGH.

The analog shutdown.
WRCB/ch. 3 (13) - 3.2 - Antenna TV
WTVC/ch. 9 (9) - 9.2 - This TV
WDEF/ch. 12 (12) - 12.2 - Bounce TV
WNGH/ch. 18 (33) - 18.2 - GPB Kids; 18.3 - GPB Knowledge
WELF/ch. 23 (16) - 23.2 - Church Channel; 23.3 - JUCE TV; 23.4 - Enlace USA; 23.5 - Smile Of A Child
WTCI/ch. 45 (29) - 42.2 - Create (weekdays), Tennessee Channel (weekends)
WFLI/ch. 53 (42) - 53.2 - Me-TV
WDSI/ch. 61 (40) - 61.2 - My Network TV

Last edited:
WRIP signed on in 1972 12 hours a day as a movie station running only films from the 30's through the 60's along with Theatrical cartoons shorts, Three stooges, Little Racsals shorts, and Bugs Bunny. The station expanded to 18 hours a day late that year but in 1973 hit hard times. They cut back to 6 hours a day and added some low busget syndicates shows noone wanted late in 73. The Movies and cartoon shorts all fell off in 1974. But WRIP began to sell time to whoever wanted to be on the air and wer on 14 hours a day by 1975 with PTL Club, 700 Club, local black churches, and anyone else willing to pay to be on. The station had three or four low budget barter shows that were secualr and the rest of the day just sold blocks of time.

By 1980, WRIP was religious from 8 AM to 3:30 PM and again after 4 with New Zoo Revue as their only weekday secular show and a few other weekends. In September 1981, WRIP added a couple cartoons, some sitcoms, and a couple drama shows weekdays and weekends and was secular weekdays from 2 to 6 PM. In 1982, they added Brady Bunch, Star Trek, Mission Impossible, and some movies and were secular from 2 to 10 PM. That summer they were secular from Noon to Midnight. In the fall of 1982, WRIP added more cartoons and a few more sitcoms and drama shows and became a conventional independent station.

Channel 61 was sold in 1983 to another local owner and became WDSI and began marketing agressively. By 1986 they took Fox affiliation and by then evolved to a typical Fox independent. Today theya re a typical Fox affiliate. But they were one wierd station back in the 70's and early 80's.

In 1997 I lived on the north fringe of Atlanta in a townhouse apartment. My bedroom had a clear shot north and with an antenna I was able to get the three VHF Chattanooga stations. The San Francisco-Atlanta NFL game, played here, was blacked out due to it not being sold out before the deadline, so I was able to watch it on WTVC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom