• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Charlotte Ratings Updated 11/02/22

WSOC is finally out of the toilet. Let's see if they can maintain it. Looks like dropping the AM signal has helped WFNZ come up. They're ahead of WNKS and WHQC who are #16 and #17. Wow.

CHR seems to be declining with both WNKS and WHQC dropping near the bottom. While Hot AC at WLNK seems to be gaining a bit. And WSOC finally improving and moving just ahead of country competitor WKKT. Urban stations still doing well with WBAV in the top spot, but WPEG has dropped down a bit. WKQC still doing well with what I consider variety hits, and perhaps Bob and Sheri may have lured some listeners?

Also curious if WBT ratings include the FM simulcast on 99.3 or just the AM broadcast on 11.10-AM?

CHR seems to be declining with both WNKS and WHQC dropping near the bottom. While Hot AC at WLNK seems to be gaining a bit. And WSOC finally improving and moving just ahead of country competitor WKKT. Urban stations still doing well with WBAV in the top spot, but WPEG has dropped down a bit. WKQC still doing well with what I consider variety hits, and perhaps Bob and Sheri may have lured some listeners?

Also curious if WBT ratings include the FM simulcast on 99.3 or just the AM broadcast on 11.10-AM?
It has always been my impression they include both. Whether it was this site or not, one site would list a simulcast partner with the main station.

Bob and Sheri have definitely boosted WKQC’s ratings in AMD, and they’ve been #1 several times in that daypart since the launch. WKQC was #1 before B&S joined the station, though. B&S has boosted revenue quite a bit.

CHR does better in other markets. Not sure why they’re so low here. I don’t listen to either station, so I couldn’t tell you.

I think some of the new music out has helped WSOC. They’re playing some songs that test really well that WKKT hasn’t touched. WSOC plays some songs that I like, but they can’t keep me listening because of bad flow and some poorly selected songs. I usually find myself listening to WKKT much longer, although they have been a little off lately.

Yes, the WBT numbers include both AM and FM in a single line item.

It’s a simulcast of 102.5 The Block
If rap fans could be persuaded to listen to an AM signal, it has been my experience the signal is the best of all Charlotte AMs. I'll have to remember to check it out when I get in the car, just to hear that it's really true.

Bob and Sheri have definitely boosted WKQC’s ratings in AMD, and they’ve been #1 several times in that daypart since the launch. WKQC was #1 before B&S joined the station, though. B&S has boosted revenue quite a bit.
Where do you get those numbers?
CHR does better in other markets. Not sure why they’re so low here. I don’t listen to either station, so I couldn’t tell you.
If there was one, the sum of the two stations would look good.
I think some of the new music out has helped WSOC. They’re playing some songs that test really well that WKKT hasn’t touched. WSOC plays some songs that I like, but they can’t keep me listening because of bad flow and some poorly selected songs. I usually find myself listening to WKKT much longer, although they have been a little off lately.
WSOC should change letters. The Charlotte Observer has stories that say they got the information from the various TV stations. They just call Channel 9 "WSOC". Which I guess is permissible since no one is likely to think they mean the "country" radio station.
Yes, the WBT numbers include both AM and FM in a single line item.

If rap fans could be persuaded to listen to an AM signal, it has been my experience the signal is the best of all Charlotte AMs. I'll have to remember to check it out when I get in the car, just to hear that it's really true.
The purpose of the move was to get WFNZ’s audience to move to the FM signal. WFNZ was on 610 for nearly 30 years, and people weren’t moving over to the stronger 92.7 signal. I think Matt Rhule’s firing also helped the numbers a bit. WFNZ is not the strongest AM. That would be WBT.

The purpose of the move was to get WFNZ’s audience to move to the FM signal. WFNZ was on 610 for nearly 30 years, and people weren’t moving over to the stronger 92.7 signal. I think Matt Rhule’s firing also helped the numbers a bit. WFNZ is not the strongest AM. That would be WBT.
My perception only. WBT has a fuzzy signal while WFNZ sounds like it will break the radio.

Where do you get those numbers?

If there was one, the sum of the two stations would look good.

WSOC should change letters. The Charlotte Observer has stories that say they got the information from the various TV stations. They just call Channel 9 "WSOC". Which I guess is permissible since no one is likely to think they mean the "country" radio station.
Nielsen. This is a radio discussion board and I work in the radio industry.

What?

WSOC-TV and WSOC-FM were both owned by Cox until 1992. WSOC-FM has been country since the early 70s, and went by their call letters for over 40 years. Those call letters carry a lot of weight in this market, and I completely disagree that they should change them.

Nielsen. This is a radio discussion board and I work in the radio industry.
You're saying you have access to numbers we don't?
One CHR would get close to the sum of what the two stations separately get.
WSOC-TV and WSOC-FM were both owned by Cox until 1992. WSOC-FM has been country since the early 70s, and went by their call letters for over 40 years. Those call letters carry a lot of weight in this market, and I completely disagree that they should change them.
I just wish the newspaper would say WSOC-TV but I guess no one will think it's the radio station.

You're saying you have access to numbers we don't?

One CHR would get close to the sum of what the two stations separately get.

I just wish the newspaper would say WSOC-TV but I guess no one will think it's the radio station.
You literally asked where I got the numbers 2 posts ago. We also have a lot of enthusiasts on this board who don’t have access to this info. People ask ratings questions all the time.

CHR used to get stronger shares in this market. It’s a programming issue.

You’re right, more people associate WSOC with the tv station, but there are plenty of people who associate it with the radio station as well. You don’t change a call sign that’s been associated with a station for 50 years.

Last edited:
I have always thought 930 was the best sounding AM in Charlotte. Cox spent a boat load of money on it before they sold it to Bible Broadcasting.

I am not sure why Radio One is simulcasting 102.5 on 610 AM. I also think both 102.5 and 610 could do with some processing adjustments. They have a lot on their plate right now moving the R-O studios to 1JPP.

t123

They’re likely simulcasting 102.5 on 610 just to keep the signal warm instead of having to apply for an STA, etc.

I wonder how long iHeart will let WHQC continue as CHR. Their numbers have been bad for the past year, below WNKS who was also struggling but now they’re even further below WNKS.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom