• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes in On-Air Lineup at MOYL??

Does anyone know what happened to Wink Martindale and Chuck Southcutt?

They are no longer listed on the air on Music of Your Life.

Contracts were not renewed. Les Brown jr. and Chuck's son Carl Hampton also is gone. I think money was an issue.

I don't regularly listen to an MOYL station since there isn't one in my area, but I hear WMPS in Memphis on occasion when in the area. On a recent trip I heard Deana Martin and thought her delivery was rather stilted. Not nearly as smooth as Southcott or Martindale.

This might have been mentioned already, but the MOYL Website has gotten a much-needed update and is actually pretty cool. http://www.musicofyourlife.com/

Nice new web site. Opening liner says "The NEW Music of Your Life." Aside from personality changes, any format changes? Surprised that Southcott's gone. A great Standards programmer. Sorry, too, to see the Winker on the beach.

Does anyone have any info on the new 24/7 syndicated format called "The Lounge" I read about it online and seems it had a break-in period at KOMJ in Omaha. Seems they have taken Brad Chambers format that was on Fabulous 690 and run with it. I think Brad does and outstanding job with his music and wish he was nationwide. I like the idea of hip adult standards from Sinatra to Michael Buble. I listen to Martini in the morning online a lot. I have xm satellite and listen to "High Standards" xm-73 also but find them a bit boring and playing way too much of N.Y. lounge singers and NOT enough of the good stuff.

amlover said:
I like the idea of hip adult standards from Sinatra to Michael Buble. I listen to Martini in the morning online a lot. I have xm satellite and listen to "High Standards" xm-73 also but find them a bit boring and playing way too much of N.Y. lounge singers and NOT enough of the good stuff.

Agreed on both points. High Standards puts me to sleep, which is not the desired effect when I'm driving a car.
I haven't figured out why most standards stations insist on being boring. Are they afraid that they will wake up someone in the nursing home? There is plenty of good music out there that are "toe tappers." You shouldn't have to take No-Doze to listen.

Chuck said:
amlover said:
I like the idea of hip adult standards from Sinatra to Michael Buble. I listen to Martini in the morning online a lot. I have xm satellite and listen to "High Standards" xm-73 also but find them a bit boring and playing way too much of N.Y. lounge singers and NOT enough of the good stuff.

Agreed on both points. High Standards puts me to sleep, which is not the desired effect when I'm driving a car.
I haven't figured out why most standards stations insist on being boring. Are they afraid that they will wake up someone in the nursing home? There is plenty of good music out there that are "toe tappers." You shouldn't have to take No-Doze to listen.
I haven't heard High Standards since they changed the name but I had the opposite reaction. It wasn't boring enough.

Jinglefreak said:
Does anyone know what happened to Wink Martindale and Chuck Southcutt?

They are no longer listed on the air on Music of Your Life.
I know where Chuck Southcott is now! ;) At least his skill at selecting music.

Just kidding. We got spoiled on Dial Global this morning. But the chickens did come home to roost. It was more like Pointless Classics on a good day once they played "Sweet Life" by Paul Davis. That one sounds so much like "Cool Night", but I prefer "Cool Night".

I thought Chuck's son Carl Hampton was much,much better on the air than Chuck. Also Chuck's selection of music was not the best in my opinion. He played way too much older pop stuff for my taste. Example, Everly Bros. Ricky Nelson, and the Platters. All of which is good music but I prefer Sinatra, Dean, Cole, Day and Sammy for example. Also the new artists doing the great standards and we all know who they are.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom