• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Catholic Radio on 970?

cyberdad

Staff member
Yesterday morning (June 27), about a half hour before sunrise I was getting a very weak Catholic radio signal that was very prone to frequent fading, andalso which I was unable to ID. The closest....if not only....Catholic radio station I could find for 970 in R-L (that appeared to be even a remote possibility) was KFEL from Boulder, CO. Even at full day power 0f 3,200 watts non-directional that would be a fairly impressive catch. Given the very weak and intermittent nature of the signal, along with the lack of an ID, I'm not quite ready to claim KFEL just yet. Do any of you guys have other ideas of what I might have heard? Radio was the C Crane Skywave.

KFEL is licensed to Pueblo, Colorado versus Boulder. KIXL near Austin, Texas appears to be Catholic Radio:

Welcome to Relevant Radio

Their nighttime 1 kW 2-tower directional pattern might favor reception in your area, as well as mine:

KIXL-AM Radio Station Coverage Map

Bob
Thanks, Bob. What I was hearing on 970 was just "fragments" on top of the channel for moments of 20-30 seconds coming and going. I'm Catholic, and I recognized the Rosary as the Catholic prayer being broadcast using female voices. Very weak, but unmistakablre. Anyway, both Austin and Pueblo are certainly possibilities. I'll keep trying early mornings on 970, and see if I can catch it again and ID it.

There is a Catholic Radio Station in Spokane, WA on that frequency, KTTO, ex-KREM. 750 watts at night, 5300 watts day power. Sacred Heart Radio, EWTN programming. they get out to Western WA, not sure how east their signal would go.

Yesterday morning (June 27), about a half hour before sunrise I was getting a very weak Catholic radio signal that was very prone to frequent fading, andalso which I was unable to ID. The closest....if not only....Catholic radio station I could find for 970 in R-L (that appeared to be even a remote possibility) was KFEL from Boulder, CO. Even at full day power 0f 3,200 watts non-directional that would be a fairly impressive catch. Given the very weak and intermittent nature of the signal, along with the lack of an ID, I'm not quite ready to claim KFEL just yet. Do any of you guys have other ideas of what I might have heard? Radio was the C Crane Skywave.

I'm gonna wager what you had was an EWTN station from out West... Relevant Radio does the Holy rosary Across America, a 30 minute broadcast in the evening... most of RR's shows from 5am eastern on are talk radio themed. This sounds more like EWTN type stuff, based on what youre describing.

Really really doubt you had KTTO. It's summertime, and even if it was winter, it's nearly impossible to get a regional station from WA, all the way out in the Chicago metro. Neil Kazaross had 1430 KCLK Clarkston WA a few times in late October at the eastern WA sunset time, however...

Thanks boombox and SomeRadioGuy. I think both EWTN and Relevant Radio are plausible for what I was hearing on 970 earlier this week. Both networks or affilliates run broadcasts....and rebroadcasts of the Rosary. Our local RR outlets do so once or twice daily. (WKBM/930 and WNTD/950). Also some small-market stations not affiliated with either network, also run daily rosary broadcasts. WNAX comes to mind as an example as one that does (or did), despite what was otherwise is an otherwise non-religious format.

And crainbebo, I agree with your point about KTTO. I have yet to hear anything at my location from Washington state. I certainly hope to some day. But if I ever do, I doubt that it'll be on a "regional" channel.

I didn't check 970 during the pre-sunrise hours this morning. Thunderstorms in the area.

Thanks boombox and SomeRadioGuy. I think both EWTN and Relevant Radio are plausible for what I was hearing on 970 earlier this week. Both networks or affilliates run broadcasts....and rebroadcasts of the Rosary. Our local RR outlets do so once or twice daily. (WKBM/930 and WNTD/950). Also some small-market stations not affiliated with either network, also run daily rosary broadcasts. WNAX comes to mind as an example as one that does (or did), despite what was otherwise is an otherwise non-religious format.

And crainbebo, I agree with your point about KTTO. I have yet to hear anything at my location from Washington state. I certainly hope to some day. But if I ever do, I doubt that it'll be on a "regional" channel.

I didn't check 970 during the pre-sunrise hours this morning. Thunderstorms in the area.
Not on 970 but last I heard KLEB-1600, New Orleans market they did the rosary in French at 5:30am CDT.

Cyberdad, your best bet for WA is 1680 KNTS (now Regional Mexican). Neil Kazaross in Barrington gets them all the time around Sept and Oct when WA is at sunset and KNTS is still on 10KW. You've heard Vancouver before...

Cyberdad, your best bet for WA is 1680 KNTS (now Regional Mexican). Neil Kazaross in Barrington gets them all the time around Sept and Oct when WA is at sunset and KNTS is still on 10KW. You've heard Vancouver before...
Thanks, I'll take a shot at that one in the late summer-early fall. I'd think 10kw that high on the dial should be able to make the hop.

Also Catholic, on 970: KQAQ Austin, MN
Thanks, Todd. I've heard KQAQ at my location on multiple occasions, but not recently. I didn't realize that they were now Catholic. That may well be what I was hearing the other day. By no means certain, however. KQAQ's pattern doesn't favor me. Day or night. I think their pattern was out of whack when I was hearing them on a semi-regular basis for a month or so a few years back. IIRC, format at that time was country.

Mystery solved! I tuned into 970 a little after 4:30 this morning and was mostly hearing a weak signal with a talk show. I couldn't ID it (WMAY?), Conditions were not good, and fades were frequent. After about twenty minutes during one of those fades, I heard female voices, which sounded like the call and response of the Rosary. It was only in for about half a minute, then the talk show came back. I hung around for a few more minutes, but didn't hear any more of the call and response. So....later this morning I went to the KQAQ website, and sure enough, They run a half hour version of the Holy Rosary 7 days a week at 4:30am.

That pretty well confirms that what I was hearing several days ago and again this morning was KQAQ. Distance is 261 miles per the Canada/US Lookup Page.....which, BTW, lists classic country as the format. Obviously needs to be updated, but also confirms my memory of KQAQ's previous format. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom