• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Car radio AM factory presets

I've noticed that on the AM radios of several American models, that the AM factory presets (what the preset buttons will pull up on an AM radio that's either never been programmed or lost power and its presets) correspond to stations around Greater Detroit. For instance, 540, 760 and 950 will always pull up on the first three bottons and these three channels correspond to 540 CBEF (across the water in Windsor, ON), 760 WJR and 950 WWJ. I think 1270 pops in as well (which corresonds to WXYT). Is this intentional to test radios on local AMs or just a total coincidence?

> I've noticed that on the AM radios of several American
> models, that the AM factory presets (what the preset buttons
> will pull up on an AM radio that's either never been
> programmed or lost power and its presets) correspond to
> stations around Greater Detroit. For instance, 540, 760 and
> 950 will always pull up on the first three bottons and these
> three channels correspond to 540 CBEF (across the water in
> Windsor, ON), 760 WJR and 950 WWJ. I think 1270 pops in as
> well (which corresonds to WXYT). Is this intentional to
> test radios on local AMs or just a total coincidence?

The default presets probably correspond to whatever the local stations are in the are where the radio is engineered, for testing purposes. Often it's the band edges (530 & 1710 AM, 87.5 & 107.9 FM) on the lowest and highest presets, respectively, plus various frequencies filling up the rest of the presets, in sequential order.

However, many radios still default to the lowest band frequency (i.e. 530 AM and 87.5 FM) on all of the AM and FM presets.

On 2002 and newer Volkswagen car radios, you can get into a Factory Test mode by holding down the MIX button for a few seconds. Then, pressing the MIX button will cycle through various modes, such as an indication if the amplified antenna is functioning, a stereo/mono indication for FM (not normally shown), a signal strength meter, and a subjective signal quality judgement ("Good", "Weak", or "Unusable"). You can still tune the radio while in Factory Test mode. Holding down the MIX button again for a few seconds will return to normal operation.
<P ID="signature">______________
ImportantInfo.jpg

"This is the New York Emergency Broadcast System satellite channel. They took the crosstown bus."</P>

I have often thought that AM radios need to default to 1230, 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450, and 1490. That would mean they would pick up at least one station, and in most places multiple stations, without changing. I actually made that suggestion to a car radio design firm a couple of years ago.

> I have often thought that AM radios need to default to 1230,
> 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450, and 1490. That would mean they
> would pick up at least one station, and in most places
> multiple stations, without changing. I actually made that
> suggestion to a car radio design firm a couple of years ago.
>

I have an 04 nissan altima with the stock stereo/cd unit. Can anyone tell me how to get into the admin/test mode that was mentioned above?

Thanks.<P ID="signature">______________
Perfection is overrated...
www.marinifamily.org</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom