• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can radio be fixed and regain it's dignity?

Re: Fixed? Radio has Already Been Fixed - or is that Neutered

SirRoxalot said:
Thank you, David, for so concisely expressing the big corporate point of view. It is because of that point of view that this discussion began in the first place. Most of us understand that you don't think that there's anything wrong with radio. There are people who disagree with you, however.

I think there are some things wrong with radio, but not to the extend of pulling my hair out and running around in circles screeching "woe is me."

What's wrong?

Start with companies that thought consolidation would save lots of money. It generally does not. There are a few savings, mostly in things like insurance coverage, shared building facilities, etc. But running a station that appeals to listeners requires good programming. Many here have differing views of what good programming is, but this is an issue

Next, the profusion of stations due to Docket 80-90 and move-ins and such. I spend time in one market about 160 in size and another about size 200. The quality of radio in those markets is just deplorable because they have too many stations for the local market economies to support. This, much more than any administrative or business issues, has caused smaller market radio to decline, making, in many cases, it impossible to spend doing local programming or even to have live staff much of the time.

Then, radio is not watching the ball on new technology. The good programming can be distributed in any way known or to be developed, including things like WiMax. Instead, folks moan about satellite, which is pretty much a non-issue.

Then there is the issue of talent development. Excessive competiton beyond what local revenues will support has dried up quite significantly the use of live talent in many small markets. It is amazing to see stations in top 10 markets having to put trainees with no radio experience on the air due to the lack of applicants because the small market stations are on the satellite when they used to have the fresh talent...

I could go on, but this is a sample of the stuff I bring up in meetings and discussions.

Then, there is what is right about radio. Despite all the alternatives for entertainment, 18-54 cume is off only about 2% in the last 10 years in the top 100 markets. In TSL, the loss is about 7% to 8%, which is not bad. There are now 120 million game consoles, hundreds of cable alternatives, Internet (not just streaming... doing things like spending time on MySpace take time), iPods, satellite and so on that collectively offer lots of good, competitive alternatives. Still, radio looks good and billings have not fallen (and were up in every year but 3 in the last 46 years).

You should see the way pig farmers in Eastern North Carolina live!!! There is money in them thar hogs!

Re: Radio Lovers

dbdigital said:
"Great Eastern Radio, which operates one station in Manchester, N.H., is expanding. The company announced an agreement with Clear Channel on Jan. 16 to buy six radio stations in the Lebanon, N.H., market; the deal is pending FCC approval. Shapiro said he is purchasing the stations for less than the $13 million Clear Channel paid in 2001, but declined to be specific. About 20 people work at the half-dozen stations and there are no plans to change the stations' formats or staffing, he said."

"No plans to change the stations' formats or staffing". We've all heard that one before. And the check is in the mail.

I've heard WTPL (Great Eastern's Concord, N.H. station) and it's no great shakes. Mostly ESPN with a so-so morning show. They break a 1 share, but just barely. Keep in mind that the last company Shapiro owned basically bought stations, hung on to them for a couple years then flipped them.

I guess the biggest issue is whether or not WE THE PEOPLE want to make good radio. There are a ton of challenges but one thing is true. If you do it right, ratings, listeners and money will come. Maybe it does SEEM easy to most of us but actually DOING it could very well be the most difficult scenario on earth. :-\

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom