• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cadillac Jack is out at Kicks after 26 years with company

I wonder what happened to his mojo...he's long-regarded in the market. It'd be one thing if he wasn't performing as well with the kids anymore, but it sounds like he's doing worse in the older demo.

Is there enough country to go around? Don't forget we also have several rimshots around town, most notably WNGC 106.1.

I'm not buying a flip yet...but I do wonder if this is Cumulus's way to cut costs.

If a station drops a talent this well-established,then one must wonder if the station might be about to flip formats.

If a station that ranks 20th in 25-54 in mornings changes the host, it sounds like they are going to try to be more competitive. In a format change happens, it is usually the whole staff that goes all at once.

Not that many 4-year talent contracts these days. Curious about the buy-out or if Cumulus exercised a performance clause. I believe his wife is a KICKS account rep.

Cadillac Jack has been part of the Atlanta radio landscape during my entire time in this market. I moved here in 1994.

Former PD Neil McGinley hired him from a small country station in the Myrtle Beach area in 1993, when Caddy was just 19, for evenings. (Neil also hired Moby, who led Kicks to record ratings as morning man in the mid and late 90's.)

Caddy is a good person and terrific air talent, and I will miss hearing him. I don't know the reason for his dismissal, but as has been noted above, morning ratings have been poor, and Kicks has been getting clobbered by The Bull.

I wish him the best.

If a station drops a talent this well-established,then one must wonder if the station might be about to flip formats.

That's not going to happen, at least at this point. Kicks has a comparable signal to The Bull, and is capable of being very competitive. They might be saddled with an older image since they've been in the format so long. The other issue, and it's not that major, is Kicks is stuck with Nash Nights Live since Westwood One needs an Atlanta affiliate. But, the right PD working with corporate head of programming Brian Phillips could right the ship.

Greg Frey, former Kicks PD who rose to Cumulus corporate, is temporarily programming the station.

They might be saddled with an older image since they've been in the format so long.

Country has been on 101.5 since 1968--over fifty years! It's the longest-running format on any commercial FM station in town, and it's not even close (unless you get creative with the description of 94.1's format in their Quixie simulcast and Rock 40 days in the 1970s). It's been WKHX "Kicks" since 1981 (38 years), and WBIE-FM "Georgia's Country Giant" before that. The only moniker that's older is V-103, since 1977. V-103 started out as "disco" (what would nowadays be called CHR/R) before going urban a year or two later.

They could just play the commercials and program locally if the nighttime becomes an issue. Would the cost of local talent verses the “free” talent from Nash be offset by higher ratings (hopefully) and income during the night hours? I am sure some accountant or programmer will figure that out. Traditionally significant part of the revenue for a lot country stations is generated by the morning show. I am sure Cumulus will try to get a successful morning show first.

IMHO: A significant part of the audience does not care how old a station is. As long as you don’t “image” your station as “old or out of touch” with the sub 55 demos you should be OK.

Would the cost of local talent verses the “free” talent from Nash be offset by higher ratings (hopefully) and income during the night hours?

Depends on what you mean by "night." There isn't much income at night, which is why they do syndicated. You may remember that Kicks ran the syndicated GAC Radio Nights show back about 12 years ago. GAC Radio was syndicated then by ABC.

94-9 The Bull was live and local in evenings with Paul Aaron for about 2 years. Now they play a tracked Bobby Bones Show, and Aaron apparently is gone.

iHeart puts Bobby Bones' morning show on a lot of its country stations, even in major markets such as Washington on WMZQ. But of course The Bull is live and local in morning drive.

Wow - look at that 6+ showing for Kicks 101.5. Awful!!!

Did they witness a similar negative variance in A25-54?

Wow - look at that 6+ showing for Kicks 101.5. Awful!!!

Did they witness a similar negative variance in A25-54?

If I am reading David's earlier post correctly:

"If a station that ranks 20th in 25-54 in mornings changes the host, it sounds like they are going to try to be more competitive. In a format change happens, it is usually the whole staff that goes all at once."

I guess they are 20th.

Not that many 4-year talent contracts these days. Curious about the buy-out or if Cumulus exercised a performance clause. I believe his wife is a KICKS account rep.

I doubt that will happen since they have different owners. Lew would have to buy the Cumulus Atlanta Cluster. There is a rumor that Cumulus would like to sell all of it's top 20 market stations so they can concentrate on small and mid markets where the competition is not as strong. If a sale of the Atlanta Cumulus cluster was announced, I would bet a cup of Burger King regular coffee that any current employee that could find a job elsewhere would take it.

680 needs a GOOD FM signal that encompasses the whole metro area. 101.5 would be a good place to put them.

I doubt that will happen since they have different owners. Lew would have to buy the Cumulus Atlanta Cluster. There is a rumor that Cumulus would like to sell all of it's top 20 market stations so they can concentrate on small and mid markets where the competition is not as strong. If a sale of the Atlanta Cumulus cluster was announced, I would bet a cup of Burger King regular coffee that any current employee that could find a job elsewhere would take it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom